illum.gblorb

Illuminismo Iniziato

by Michael J. Coyne

Lovingly handcrafted in Inform6, this overripe sequel to Risorgimento Represso is full of cheese, gunpowder, chemistry and explosions (well, only a little chemistry). Includes automap, sounds and graphical newspaper.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2018

Winner, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2018

English game with italian title, April 12, 2018
by Denk
Related reviews: Inform
This game is the sequel to Risorgimento Represso. Though I have never played Risorgimento Represso, I enjoyed this game immensely.

In this game you play the role of a wizard's apprentice who has been given an apparently simple task by the wizard. Without spoiling the story, lets just say that the plot will develop as you play.

This is a rather long game with an impressive amount of detail and excellent implementation. The game contains an auto-mapping feature and a newspaper, where you can click to turn the pages.

There are a lot of ingenious puzzles in the game, some easy, others more tricky, but except from one puzzle ((Spoiler - click to show)how to use the hoop) I was able to solve them all without the use of the built-in hint system, where you can ask NPCs for help. So I regard the puzzles as very fair and well clued.

The writing is good and witty, and did a great job in communicating the surroundings. There are several references to Risorgimento Represso, but they are all understandable to those who haven't played it.

This is the best game I have played this year so far, so I highly recommend it.

A big, polished sequel to a big, polished game, April 21, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This sequel to the 15-year-earlier Risorgimento Represso is a fairly large glulx game that uses advanced features such as graphical windows.

In classic parser game style, you are an eccentric wizard's apprentice in a blended fantasy/modern setting where you push the boundaries of the law to get what you want.

I enjoyed the variety of puzzles, such as timing puzzles and transportation puzzles.

This game reminds me a lot in style and quality to Bob Bates' game Thaumistry. Both games were charming, and reached a level of quality that is quite difficult to reach, but failed to grip my imagination. In both games, I felt like some solutions were unnecessarily restricted.

I believe this game is most likely to win Spring Thing (this review was written before the competition ended).

If you enjoyed Illuminismo Iniziato...

People who like Illuminismo Iniziato also gave high ratings to these games:

Dungeon Detective, by Wonaglot, Caitlin Mulvihill
You're a gnoll. Whether that's a blessing or a curse is up to you. Unlike other gnolls, you're trying to eke out a simple existence by plying your trade - that of the world's first Dungeon Detective. Amass clues and present them to your...

Wretch!, by Josh Labelle
Average member rating: (1 rating)
You awaken in a lab. Your head is filled with memories not wholly your own. The mysterious doctor regards you from the doorway. Will you try to earn his favor? Or escape his ramshackle house? Can you make a friend and find a place in the...

Recursion., by Adrian Belmes
A digital-born hypertext produced in Twine for the San Diego State University 2018 Electronic Literature Competition. The work is a non-linear exploration of the extremes to which individuals will go in pursuit of happiness, revolving...

Illuminismo Iniziato appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Masterpieces by Denk
There are many great games but only few games are in my opinion masterpieces. Here they are in alphabetical order:

Zorkian fantasy games by MathBrush
My best fantasy games list is getting too long, so I decided to branch off a list of all Zorkian fantasy games. These are games that have a vague fantasy setting where anachronisms or inconsistencies are allowed, the game is goofy or...

The following polls include votes for Illuminismo Iniziato:

Games that most resemble an Infocom work by David Cornelson
If you've played a game that "feels" like an Infocom game, add it to the list.

Trying to find a good comedy. by H. W. Wiliams
I'm hoping to find a good comedy IF title. I've been away for a while and want a good laugh before I head back to work. Any suggestions?

For Your Frickin' Amusement! by Marshal Tenner Winter
Looking for NON-INFOCOM titles that include a "for your amusement" or a "have you tried?" section. plz k thx

This is version 5 of this page, edited by turthalion on 22 February 2019 at 11:53am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item