Story File (zblorb)

The Legend of the Missing Hat

by Adri profile

Humor
2012

A tiny story about four tiny ninjas and a tiny top hat.

First Publication Date: June 11, 2012
IFID: CF3C2188-C9D1-4732-84EB-8AFD522766B9
TUID: 1l4hjsvaw13r4fpk

Entrant - Cover Stories

As advertised: tiny, June 17, 2012
by Emily Short
Related reviews: cover stories
This is an extremely short, extremely easy puzzle game, as advertised: I think it took me between five and ten minutes to play completely. It's sweet and cheerful, and takes place on a miniaturized landscape, as the main character is a ninja perhaps a half-inch tall.

Implementation and scenery are not as deep as in, say, Sara Dee's "Mite" or Ryan Veeder's "You've Got a Stew Going!", but the central concept is similar, in that familiar household objects and critters function differently when the scale is drastically altered.

Simple pleasures in interactive fiction, May 17, 2020
by Felix Pleșoianu (Bucharest, Romania)
Why can't more story games be like Legend of the Missing Hat? With light prose, no drama and cuteness everywhere, it's still a joy to replay eight years after release: truly a healing story, as I heard them called recently. It also does the "small protagonist in a human-scale home" trope very well, something not many others can claim. Too bad it's not a little bit longer, but then maybe that would have ruined the magic.

Oh by the way: this game is a very good fit for mobile devices. Try it out!

Short and cute, June 11, 2013
Title pretty much says it. Super cute game, super short. I think part of the adorableness is imagining everything at the scale described in the game. Just trying to picture the tiny little ninjas made me happy. I liked that they were also given their own little personalities with the bit of dialogue they had.

I loved it, but you need to know what you're in for. Takes maybe about 10 minutes. The "puzzles" are very straightforward and the game dialogue guides you through pretty well.

If you enjoyed The Legend of the Missing Hat...

Other members recommend these games for people who like The Legend of the Missing Hat, or gave both high ratings:

A Bear's Night Out, by David Dyte
"Tomorrow is the big Teddy Bear party, and you must definitely not let your owner forget about it..." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Dino Hunt, by Admiral Jota

Charming, by Kaylah Facey
Potions shattered on the floor, pages torn out of books, a demolished statue... These are a few of the magical messes you will have to clean up before Enchantress Igmenta arrives for your coming-of-age test tonight. Unfortunately, you've...

The Legend of the Missing Hat appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Replay and relax by Felix Pleșoianu
Games that are always a pleasure to play again, not to solve puzzles but to enjoy the good memories.

Cute games by MathBrush
These are games which are cute and/or sweet, in the sense that they are pleasant, relaxing, appropriate for children, or meant to warm your heart. This doesn't include absurdist games or more traditional fairy tales with strong elements...

Fun and funny by Shadow Fox
These are games that captured my attention and made me laugh. All of them are lighthearted, most of them are funny, and one is just plain cute.

The following polls include votes for The Legend of the Missing Hat:

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

Lost Pig type puzzle complexity by Mostly Useless
I haven't played a lot of IF, as I'm often put off by what are (for me) difficult puzzles. Without doubt the most satisfaction I've had from finishing a game has been Admiral Jota's Lost Pig, and I would love to hear about other games...

Games for language learners by Emily Boegheim
What are some good games for people trying to learn another language? I imagine that short games with relatively simple prose and not too many non-standard commands (if they're parser games) would work best, but feel free to suggest...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by genericgeekgirl on 13 November 2014 at 9:49am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item