The Chinese Room

by Harry Giles and Joey Jones profile

2007

The Chinese Room is a hilarious romp through the world of philosophical thought experiments. Have you ever wanted to win Zeno's race? Free the denizens of Plato's Cave? Or find out what it's really like to be a bat? Now is your chance!

First Publication Date: September 30, 2007
IFID: 2A684CAD-6B5E-4D2A-92FC-D6C6E80E35B6
TUID: j6vtd2djn6o97a8b

5th Place - 13th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2007)

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best NPCs - 2007 XYZZY Awards

Play This Thing!
The Chinese Room is a little like Norman Juster's Phantom Tollbooth in interactive form. Taking place entirely in the realm of philosophical thought experiment, The Chinese Room tackles questions about the nature of perception, the foundations of ethical systems, and the theoretical basis of calculus. If you've ever wanted to meet Aristotle or Karl Marx in text adventure form, this is your opportunity.

Very entertaining, April 11, 2011
Overall, I very much enjoyed playing this game. I'm a college student, last semester I took a philosophy of mind course and I found this game very interesting; I may even recommend it to my prof. Most of the information agrees with what I learned, but it is presented in a manner reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland (the book (whose real title was actually quite a bit longer, but whatever)). The result is a very surreal, and thoroughly enjoyable game. There were times when I literally laughed out loud at the humor (though I suppose it does help to be familiar with the subject matter, you certainly don't need to be a professor, and the THINK ABOUT command makes it accessible to nearly everyone).

There were a few negatives, though. I encountered a rather bad case of guess-the-verb with (Spoiler - click to show)the invisible unicorn and the burden of proof -- the game wouldn't accept things like PUT BURDEN ON UNICORN or GIVE BURDEN TO UNICORN -- which is quite annoying when you have a turn limit. The solution, by the way, is to HANG the burden on the unicorn, which was completely unintuitive, at least to me. Another issue is an unwinnable scenario; avoidable, though: just don't enter the castle until you feel you've solved all the other puzzles. (Spoiler - click to show)The veil is part of the puzzle to get into the castle; don't waste your time trying to find a use for it, and same for the various implements the steward will offer you once you solve her (his?) puzzle.

Because of these issues I am reluctant to give five stars, but it is an excellent game nonetheless and I strongly recommend it.

Finally, the executive summary: This is a very entertaining game with a short to medium play time, great writing quality, and a focus on puzzles over story (since the game is rather surreal, there's not much of a story, but this is intentional and done well, in my opinion).

A large game about philosophical conundrums and philosophers, February 3, 2016
This longish game has a pretty big map, after a bottlenecking first room. You explore a world where philosophical thought experiments are given life (Plato's cave, Zeno's paradox, etc.) Philosophers are also there: Marx, Plato, Rand, and others.

The game was generally fun, but before I get to the good, I had three bones to pick:

1. The game insults those who look for a walkthrough. To me, this implies that the authors strongly believe that their game is coded well enough that someone who knows the solution to a puzzle will be able to type in the correct answer without a problem. This brings me to the second point:

2. The implementation is spotty; you must (Spoiler - click to show)LIGHT LANTERN WITH LIGHTER, not LIGHT LANTERN, and this is typical of several other parts of the game. When poor implementation abounds, it is frequently necessary to seek help.

3. The game has a condescending tone. The player is an educated atheistic male. The game has some issues with 'male gaze' (although see the comment below by Sobol), includes female philosophers but has little interaction with them, and has the same tone towards religion as reddit's atheism board: "Aren't we so glad that we are superior to those silly peasants with their moral fables?" In fact, the game bashes on religion as much as it can.

I normally don't point out flaws in the works I play, but I can't stand this much smugness.

Outside of that, the game itself is enjoyable, and the puzzles are fun. Quite a few of the puzzles depend on examining things twice (once to see something interesting, then again to see what you need). The in-game help system was well-done, and the images and writing were imaginative.

Recommended for puzzle fiends and those interested in philosophy.

Fun stuff, June 23, 2008
Aside from the occasional guess the verb this is a fun couple of hours worth of play. Not entirely implemented but given the caveat it turns out not to matter so much. Philosophically snarky which should be enough reason to play any game. Save often though, I forgot to and when I screwed up I was so annoyed at having to start over that I didn't bother, so I never actually saw the ending.

If you enjoyed The Chinese Room...