Open Sorcery

by Abigail Corfman

You are online.

You are fire and order.

You are here to protect.

----

"Open Sorcery" is a game about technology, magic and becoming a person.

It follows the development of an Elemental Firewall--a creature of intertwined magic and code.

There are 90,000 words of text, five animated sequences, and eight possible endings.

In this game you can:

License: Commercial
Forgiveness Rating: Tough
TUID: hslgyznv9n2hou7k

Outstanding fantasy/sci fi blend. Lengthy illustrated twine game., May 16, 2016
This game plays out over the course of several days in-game, perhaps a week. It is quite large, on the order of size of Twine games like Birdland, but feels a bit smaller than Spy Intrigue. I have played it once, but it seems to have high replay value.

The visuals on this game are gorgeous, especially when sleeping. The font, letter spacing, and color choices give a DOS type feel. The game is sprinkled with occasional images and animation.

You play a living firewall, an elemental charged with protecting a magic/tech network with 4 locations.

You are presented with a sequence of mysteries, one a day, which you use clues to solve. You can then deal with the mystery in many ways, raising and lowering various stats a la choice of games.

The game includes several times sequences, some violence and some sexual activity.

My only quibble is about one image, and it's a tiny issue: (Spoiler - click to show)I didn't like the illustration of the main antagonist, I thought it was cheesy.<\spoiler>

Good, May 11, 2016
This is very good interactive fiction. There is much more decision-making than there is in the average IF game, with multiple locations and days.

You play to find and eliminate spiritual threats in locations of importance to your creators, and the way you eliminate them is up to you - this aspect of the game is quite tactical, allowing you to use assets and your own wits to gain more of those assets to employ in dangerous situations later.

The only complaint I can think of is the expanded version. I am not sure what "Expanded" means in this case, but if it means it is a more immersive experience then I find it irritating that I don't have an iPhone or android to download and play this "Expanded version".

Creative concept and wonderfully done, January 11, 2017
Very well done: interesting world mechanics and interactions, choices that feel like they matter, and an interface that felt natural for the premise. It left me wanting more, which unfortunately I'm apparently not going to be able to get without a smartphone for the expanded version. I liked how the earlier parts of the game familiarized you enough with the mechanics to make the later challenges seem accessible while keeping them high-pressure. I feel like the progression worked quite well, and it ended up having a surprising emotional impact for such a short game.

If you enjoyed Open Sorcery...

People who like Open Sorcery also gave high ratings to these games:

The Intercept, by Jon Ingold and inkle
Bletchley Park, 1942. A component from the Bombe machine, used to decode intercepted German messages, has gone missing. One of the cryptographers is waiting to be interviewed, under direst suspicion. Is he stupid enough to have attempted...

Hallowed, by @mrtavo
A meditative walk to the Giant, and back.

Dinner with Andre, by Liza Daly
"A date by candlelight in a fine restaurant. Should be a perfect evening." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Open Sorcery appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

vv's comfort food IF by verityvirtue
Like it says on the tin. I hope these give you a measure of comfort as well.

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

The following polls include votes for Open Sorcery:

The Best Games of 1st Half of 2016 by A. Johanna DeNiro
Sometimes by the end of the year and after the Comp it's hard to keep front-and-center the games that appeared earlier in the year! Here is a place to list what has tickled your fancy so far. One vote per game only please.

Less-linear Twine Games by Nathaniel
Twine (or other hypertext) games where your decisions make a significant difference, and the story changes significantly based on them (not just resulting in your death).

This is version 5 of this page, edited by AbigailCorfman on 7 August 2016 at 8:50pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item