Open Sorcery

- Mona Mae (South Africa), February 10, 2017

- kntwriter, January 19, 2017

- ArchDelacy, January 14, 2017

Creative concept and wonderfully done, January 11, 2017

Very well done: interesting world mechanics and interactions, choices that feel like they matter, and an interface that felt natural for the premise. It left me wanting more, which unfortunately I'm apparently not going to be able to get without a smartphone for the expanded version. I liked how the earlier parts of the game familiarized you enough with the mechanics to make the later challenges seem accessible while keeping them high-pressure. I feel like the progression worked quite well, and it ended up having a surprising emotional impact for such a short game.

- IFforL2 (East Asia), December 23, 2016

Stupendous use of Twine, very engaging!, December 21, 2016
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
I'm late to the party on this one, as I've heard spectacular reviews, and first encountered Corfman's clever ...Ways to Kill a Vampire in IFComp.

This narrative is even better, weaving cyberpunk, horror, some incredibly moving scenes expressed very simply, and a quest arc that involves gathering powers that can be used in the finale.

It has a bit of a Choice of Games feel, where you gather stats to funnel into the correct ending, but this felt a bit more immediate and engaging with just enough formatting and multimedia glitz that does not come off as excessive or superfluous.

The finale is timed and that gives a sense of terrified urgency, but I didn't feel like the time limit was imposed to make me click faster. (Spoiler - click to show)My playthrough ended unsuccessfully, but I think that was more a matter of I hadn't learned enough during the buildup, and became more of "what else can I try?" instead of "I don't have enough time to do this." Cleverly, the game foreshadows this with a smaller timed sequence earlier on. Seeing as I lost, the game gave me the satisfying option of hurling myself at the boss in a redemptive (although sadly unsuccessful) kamikaze effort.

The timed finale feels very earned and satisfying, even on a fail, and I am actually planning to try this again soon. The game remembers your progress via a browser cookie and doesn't make you start completely over which is a huge plus.

Great game. Should be attempted by everyone who wonders how to create a Twine that actually has legitimate gaming elements.

- Aeris, November 7, 2016