Steam
Google Play Store
for Android

Choice of Robots

by Kevin Gold

The robots you design will change the world! Will you show them the true meaning of love, or conquer Alaska with your robot army?

"Choice of Robots" is an epic 300,000-word interactive sci-fi novel by Kevin Gold, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Play out thirty years of your life as a brilliant robot maker, from graduate school near the present day to a future in which your robots have changed everything. Depending on your choices, your robots may be independent or obedient, clumsy or graceful, empathic or cold ... and you yourself may live to an old age happily married or alone with only robots to comfort you.

Play as male or female, gay or straight, with nine characters to romance, four alternate climax chapters, and over seventy achievements to unlock.

• Build a unique robot character--you choose everything from its shape to what it calls you
• Instigate or prevent a robotic uprising
• Teach your robots to love humanity, or disdain it
• Build an artificial intelligence suitable to take control of the world's governments
• Start a war against the United States, and win
• Marry a human or an advanced robot, and start a family

First Publication Date: December 19, 2014
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: zflc6mnml1vqgk2s

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC - 2014 XYZZY Awards

A must for any serious AGI developer or Roboticist. , March 11, 2017
by elspru (Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada)
Related reviews: robot, scifi,
It helped me discover what I valued most in regards to AGI development and my dreams for the future of robot-human interaction. I’d recommend it to anyone serious about AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) or Robots.

Play

I found the first play through to be the most genuine and enjoyable. My robots ended up with very high autonomy and empathy. I ended up replacing my arm with a robotic prosthetic, and getting a chip in my head, as well as marrying a robot, who said we would go to the stars together.

I played it several other times to get to various other story-archs I was interested in, such as the business, robo cult, hive mind and nation founding ones. I found them to be mildly informative, but most of all it was nice to be faced with these choices, make them and thus have a better idea of what combination of things I truly want for myself.

I found I didn’t like playing “fake” as in making uncharacteristic choices to maximize certain attributes, but found that I could play myself, just keep an eye on the score, and if all the attributes are over 20 by mid game then you’ll have maximum choice with what to do.

Bodies

The host bodies of the robots were rather minimal, though granted most of the plot is really about you, and discovering who you are, rather than gaining any insights about the robots.

One particularly incredulous part was where in 2019, a phone is used for the robots brain. I imagine that perhaps Dr. Gold was under the impression that Siri is an AI that lives in your iPhone/iPad, but that is a common misconception, as actually Siri lives in Apple’s cloud, and sends your voice there, and responses from there. The “Siri” on your phone is little more than a voice message forwarding program.

In reality a phone may be realistic in the 2030’s, as even in the 2020’s when we’re first scheduled to achieve consumer grade human-level computer hardware it will still be workstation/desktop size.

Right now (2017) only large corporations can afford human-level computer hardware, it can take for example contemporary 900 GPU’s to do the work of a Deep Learning computer programmer.

Storyline-Archs

In general I’m happy with the selection of archs available, covers just about every readily apparent eventuality.

Though admittedly I had to play through it maybe 5 or 6 times before getting to all the parts I wanted.

Conclusion

All in all, it’s probably one of the best books/games I’ve ever played in my whole life, and well worth the money.

While it claims to be 300,000 words, I think it depends on how it is counted. A single play through reads like a novella 4-5 hours, can be completed in an evening or two.

Can play the first two chapters for free, the whole game is the cost of a few USB cables ($5).

Waaaah - robots!, May 1, 2016
I have to stop reviewing the titles I love! Longer titles like this are more labours of love than commercial ventures and if we want to see more of them from Kevin Gold - who writes a seamless, broad and >original< narrative in Robots
- we need to read and review in their support.

In choice of robots I ended up helping humanity better itself with my robot creation made out of, yes . . . wood.

Why oh why I didn't see eye to eye with the department of Defence I'm not quite sure. . .
; )

Long, highly replayable game. Spend a lifetime working with robots., February 3, 2016
Choice of Robots is a game that has received high accolades, such as an XYZZY nomination for Best Game, and very favorable reviews from the general video game community.

I loved it. A very long game, perhaps of novella or screenplay length, and that is just in one playthrough. You can take wildly different paths, from prison to riches to love to all sorts of things. You keep track of 10 relationships, 4 robot stats, personal stats and political stats.

You are a young robot researcher, developing robot technology, and you have the chance to guide the development of robots toward autonomy, acting like humans, giant tank missiles, or advanced surgeons.

The gameplay can either be free-flowing, answering each question as it comes, or you can develop intricate plans to minimax your characters stats.

Well worth the money; this was the first commercial game that I bought since I purchased the complete Infocom collection.

This is just as good as Creatures Such As We and Choice of the Dragon, but longer. The only hiccups I found were inconsistent branches; when someone I married quit my company, the game said I wouldn't see them for a long time, for instance, without mentioning our relationship.

If you enjoyed Choice of Robots...