Complete Collection
A .zip of all the games on the tribute album.

The Statue Got Me High

by Ryan Veeder profile

Episode 6 of Apollo 18 Tribute Album
Surreal
2012

Your job is to make sure John's party is successful. It won't be, though. Written for the Apollo 18+20 tribute album project.

First Publication Date: March 26, 2012
License: Free
IFID: 784FF87B-335B-4AC7-9800-37D055A39D87
TUID: cjsvhlsg328la8

Nominee, Best NPCs - 2012 XYZZY Awards

Enjoyable with no prior knowledge, December 1, 2013
I am clueless concerning both They Might Be Giants and the opera this is apparently an adaptation of; despite my glaring faults, flaws, and ignorance, I enjoyed this game.

The writing is good. The story is interesting and absurd, in the way that Veeder typically writes, but with a sense of a deeper and more meaningful theme.

The actual mechanics are relatively simple. Although I had a paper and pen out, making notes, it turns out I didn't need any of them at all.

I played several of the Apollo games, and found this to be my favorite of the ones I played. A strong effort around a good story with a minimum of puzzles, this was a successful narrative.

Clever surrealism based on Don Giovanni and They Might Be Giants, February 3, 2016
This game is short and absurd. It appears at first to be a difficult logic puzzle, where you have to decide who sits where at dinner. It then becomes increasingly absurd.

This is from the Apollo 18 Tribute Album, which apparently was a collection of games which were based on the lyrics of songs on the so-named album by They Might Be Giants, and which included other great games like Dinner Bell.

All in all, it's just a fun descent into madness. No drugs involved, as far as I can see.

Obscure plot, annoying puzzle, May 4, 2012
by Ray
I suppose the game's driving idea is to make opaque references to some music band I neither know nor like. There is not enough context provided inside to understand what it is all about - it drops you into some dinner preparation scene pretty much without any explanation of who you or the other mentioned characters are. Even the introductory text is difficult to understand and doesn't connect to the initial scene, which is probably meant to make the player curious but instead just seems annoying. Early in the game it becomes apparent that there isn't going to be much story, but rather some bothersome puzzles to solve - which is where I quit.

If you enjoyed The Statue Got Me High...

Other members recommend these games for people who like The Statue Got Me High, or gave both high ratings:

Taco Fiction, by Ryan Veeder
Taco Fiction is a game about crime.

Shuffling Around, by Andrew Schultz (as Ned Yompus)
A weird power to save a weird world. So you just got fired from the best company ever, and it's the best day of your life. New opportunities! New horizons! New ways to look at things! Like calling this stupid kiss-off job fair a...

A Checkered Haunting, by Andrew Schultz
A Petite Mort entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

The Statue Got Me High appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Apollo 18+20 by Teaspoon
Interactive fiction games, with one game per track on the album Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants. The regular tracks are generally short games. The Fingertips tracks are one-move games (however the authors interpreted that). The games...

IF Playlist for the Brontoboards by Molly
This is a list I created as a general guide to interactive fiction for a thread I'm making on Brontoforumus. I'm trying to give a good overview to both parser IF (usually called "text adventures") and choice-based IF (or...

The following polls include votes for The Statue Got Me High:

For Your Consideration: Games from 2012 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

Games with extraordinary "wow" moments by J'onn Roger
If there is a moment in a game that stands out to you with vivid clarity, a moment of extraordinary beauty with writing that makes you really makes you see what is taking place, list the game here. Since surprise may play a part in the...

Games with a Halloween theme by Cuxxu
Some of us over on boardgamegeek/videogamegeek/rpggeek are starting a interactive fiction-of-the-month club. It was discussed having a game with a Halloween Theme for October. Most of the people will be fairly new to IF. Any suggestions?

This is version 16 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 8 February 2017 at 4:51pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item