The Guild of Thieves

by Rob Steggles

1987

Steal yourself a world of fantasy

WHY BUY THIS GAME WHEN YOU CAN STEAL IT ?
Except you can't. Not yet. An amateur like you? Come off it! Now, if you were a fully paid-up member of the notorious Guild of Thieves, things would be different...

Mind you, it's not easy. You might find yourself ditched on a remote jetty by the Guildmaster. You might find that the Guild expects you to ransack a well guarded mansion. To go grave-robbering. Potholing. Or maybe - if they're really doubtful of your abilities - everything at once!

No problem, really, in a country full of helpful natives and friendly wildlife. Trouble is, you're not in a country like that ! You're in Kerovnia. Except that the place seems to have gone downhill since then...But you'll find that out for yourself soon enough. And just one final hint; don't try any funny stuff. The Guildmaster has seen it all before. So has the Gatekeeper. So has he...But why should we give you any hints?

Guild of Thieves, from Magnetic Scrolls, the people who wrote The Pawn, winners of numerous major awards. Graphic illustrations to blow your socks off. Puzzles to blow your brains out. Frankly, we doubt that you're up to it...

License: Commercial (Out of Print)
IFID: MAGNETIC-2
TUID: bu2v2j5sqpf4usex

34th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

Crash

"Inside is a game more than likely to live up to everyone's expectations. As a burglar, complete with stripy sweat shirt and swag bag, you have applied for membership of the Kerovnian Guild of Thieves. To prove your criminal eligibility to join, the Master Thief has devised a test: explore an island and thoroughly sack it of all available treasure before returning.

The adventure begins in the Master Thief's boat. You jump confidently to the jetty and begin a survey of the expansive countryside. The numerous locations range from castle to cave and from scrub to snow-capped peak. The descriptions, even without the graphics much-praised on other formats, are extremely atmospheric; even the most commonplace objects have their own characteristics. Exploration has some very realistic qualities: as you wander through the castle you can run your fingers casually along the piano keys or try your skill at potting the billiard balls."

The Magnetic Scrolls Collection
"It's a gas, really, until the end. Just too many timing-based puzzles for anyone's good."

Magnetic Scrolls Collection
"None of the treasures is just sitting there, waiting to be picked up; you're going to have to work hard if you're going to join the Guild, crossing hot coals, sorting out a colourful maze and even breaking into a bank."

The Digital Antiquarian
Thieves and Jinxes (or, When Michael Met Anita)
�.�.�. I certainly wouldn�t characterize Guild of Thieves as �easy.� I would, however, characterize it as a very, very good old-school adventure game, one of my absolute favorites of its type. You play an apprentice thief whose trial of initiation into the Guild entails looting a castle and its surroundings of valuables. Even in 1987 its plot � or almost complete lack thereof � marked it as something of a throwback, an homage to classic formative works like Adventure and Zork. You�re free to roam as you will through its sprawling world of a hundred or more rooms right from the beginning, solving puzzles and collecting treasures and watching your score slowly increment. Most of the individual puzzles are far from overwhelming in difficulty; for the most part they�re blessedly fair. The difficulty is rather more combinatorial. Guild of Thieves, you see, is a very big game. You�re quite likely to lose track of something in the course of playing it, whether it be a forgotten treasure or an unsolved puzzle. Still, it�s only when you reach the end game, which entails penetrating the Bank of Kerovnia to recover all of the treasures you�ve been �depositing� there for points, that a few of the puzzles begin to push the boundaries of fair play. .�.�.�

A big, illustrated classic game with devious puzzles and a good map, June 5, 2017
Related reviews: more than 10 hours
I did not like the first Magnetic Scrolls game, The Pawn, at all. It was juvenile, and the puzzles were unfair.

Guild of Thieves is much better; it's still unfair at times, but not so much, and the juvenilia have been cut back.

You play a thief who has to steal a large number of treasures from a castle and its environs. It's a very Zork-like setting. The map felt large at first, but eventually it was easy to picture it all.

There are treasures absolutely everywhere. It's easy to find several treasures, but I doubt anyone's found all of them on their own. Magnetic Scrolls aren't know for their fairness, anyway, but you can get a lot of enjoyment out of this game right from the getgo.

If you enjoyed The Guild of Thieves...