Advent.z5
adv350kb.zip
Contains adventur.mtx
adv350kp.zip
Contains ATEXT.DAT
Requires an AdvSys interpreter. (This is an older format that is no longer supported.)
adv350r4.lha *
advent.ulx
advent_rus.zip
advent25.zip
adventions.tar.gz
all the Adventions games gzipped together
adventions.zip
all the Adventions games zipped together
adventr.arc
Atari ST Application
Adventure.lha *
contains all of Kinder's amiga ports listed below
Adventure.sit ***
Mac OS Application
adventure-11.hqx
550 points
Mac OS Application (Encoded in Macintosh Bin/Hex format.)
advos2.zip
Contains ADV.COM
580 points
ccr.oldtr.tar.Z ****
ccr.sit.bin
Mac OS Application (Compressed with StuffIt, encoded in MacBinary format. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.)
ccr.sit.hqx
Mac OS Application (Compressed with StuffIt, encoded in BinHex format. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.)
ccr.tar.Z ****
ccr.zip
colossal.hex
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Hugo interpreter - visit the Hugo home page for download links.
firstadv.zip
hugecave.zip
Int-Fic.zip
nuntalylihu.z5
polyadv.gam
original 350-point version, 550-point version by David Platt, 551-point version by David Long, 580-point version by Mike Goetz, and combined 701-point versions
winadv21.zip
zx.zip
polyadv_320a.zip
HugeHint.z5
hints in Z-code format for Humongous Cave 1000-point version
advent_forth.zip
350 points, compatible with Gforth, Win32Forth, bigFORTH, VFX Forth, Swiftforth, and PFE
adv350-php.zip
solution
adv370s.zip
370 points
advent-original.tar.gz
This is the ur-text from which most other versions are derived.
Adventure2.5.tar.gz
hugecv-s.zip
adv660.tar.Z ****
jgunness.zip
Walkthrough for Level 9 version
Craft.Of.Adventure.txt
essay by Graham Nelson, containing quite a bit of background on this game
advos2s.zip
solution to the 550-point version
Crowther's Adventure
VMC10_073D.zip
Contains VMC10.exe
Type CLOAD & hit ENTER. Select COLOSSAL.​C10 in the JimG subdirectory of the Cassette directory. Type RUN...
Windows Application (Windows XP and later)
* Compressed with LHA (also known as LHArc). Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.
Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.
Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.
*** Compressed with StuffIt. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.
**** Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.Z "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.

Adventure

Translations:
Abenteuer, by William Crowther, Don Woods, Graham Nelson, Toni Arnold
Äventyr, by William Crowther and Donald Woods
Spoofs:
Coke Is It!, by Lucian P. Smith, Adam Thornton, J. Robinson Wheeler, Michael Fessler, Dan Shiovitz, and David Dyte
The Spelunker's Tremendous Cave Adventure, by Doug Harter
The Very Big Cave Adventure, by Anonymous
Remade as Colossal Adventure, by Pete Austin, Mike Austin, Nick Austin, James Horsler
Referenced in Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort, by Tiberius Thingamus

34th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

The original. What more can be said? This was the first adventure game; the whole genre is named after it. Without it, Infocom would have been just another maker of business software, Sierra On-line would be primarily known for adaptations of coin-op videogames, and Volker Blasius would have a life. A detailed description of this game's history and significance can be found in Graham Nelson's "The Craft of Adventure".

Ignoring the profound historical significance for a moment, it's a treasure hunt in a cave, like most of the early adventures (including Zork). It has a verb-noun parser, minimal detail, two big annoying mazes, magic words, nonsense puzzles, and occasional death without warning. None of this matters. Download it anyway. You cannot consider yourself a true adventurer until you've played this game.

There are many different versions of this game, some of which include additions by later authors. The original gave a total of 350 points. Later additions usually award a higher final score.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

[...] All in all, one might conclude from this that Adventure is the greatest Adventure game ever written, but this is not quite the case. It's continued popularity stems from a) its hauntingly compelling atmosphere, b) its colourful imagery, c) the fact that for many it was their first adventure game, and d) the fact that many people first played it 70's style. [...] (Graeme Cree)

[...] Overall, this is a great game. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in adventure games. [...] (Alex Freeman)

Just Adventure

Every so often an invention or an event comes along which changes our perception of the world forever.

Gaming Enthusiast
It’s worth checking out if you feel nostalgic and despite the fact that it’s dated in so many ways, the playability didn’t suffer one bit.

Well, it was first., April 7, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
Yes, yes, I get it. Adventure was the game that started it all.

And there are SO MANY different versions of it, that it hardly seems possible to review or score it, considering you probably played the sub-optimal version.

I've played the two-word paser version, and the inform update.

The inform update is full of bugs. You can carry any number of things in the wicker cage, allowing you to bypass puzzles that might not let you carry certain items up certain areas by putting them in the cage. The scoring is off too, because if you carry a treasure in the cage to the "base" you get penalized when you TAKE the item out of the cage, then get the points BACK when you drop the item, stopping you from geting proper points.

Anyway, version aside, the game has its plusses and minuses.

The game is a cave crawl puzzle fest, except that everything is totally random and the answers to the puzzles are totally arbitrary. Everything is under-implemented. I had trouble catching a particular bird, and then, i just caught it. I imagine it was turned away by something that was in my inventory then and not now, or vice versa, but regardless, I was able to catch it at one point and not at another point. And your use for the bird is rediculous and there's no reason to believe the bird can be used for its indended purpose.

It keeps going. You have your mazes of passages, rooms with exists not clearly defined, multiple paths going to the same place, and the reverse direction doesn't always take you back where you started. Random enemies show up and attack you, for what appears to be no reason, and never seem to hit you, making their presence appear useless and annoying.

Much like Zork, you are dropped in the middle of nowehere with no clue as to what's going on. Had I never played Zork, i never would have assumed you need to put the treasures in the house. But since I played zork, I tried it. Yep, it works. And it's relevant.

I can only imagine the nightmare of beating this game with a limited parser, considering how frustrated I've become with even newer versions (which allowed you to bypass inventory limits with a wicker cage!).

Okay, okay. Adventure gave us PLUGH and XYZZY. But Infocom gave us BLORB and FROTZ. Adventure gave us Sierra Online (as the creators made games because they coldn't find more games like adventure), but I guess this is one of those games where "you just had to be there". As it is, I am finding myself having little patience with limited inventory, drop items in the maze and map it, and perform any random action you can think of to see if THAT works. Yes it was the first IF game EVER, and for that, it deserves to be played and deserves to be respected. The site wouldn't be here without adventure.

But you need to be a die-hard IF fan AND IF history buff if you're going to get a lot out of this game today. The same can probably be said for the Zork series.

I gave this game 3 stars. Compared to current standards, it really is terrible. But back when it was written, it was the best there was (the only there was). It gave us so many IF conventions we take for granted today (such as the dark room, and using compass directions to move!, inventory and LOOK commands), and people really need to play it if they want to see IF roots- just be ready to take a while, and have hints on hand!

A New Version of an Old Version of the Original Text Adventure, January 18, 2015
by jgerrie (Cape Breton Island, Canada)
For Retrochallenge 2015 I ported Will Crowther's original Colossal Cave "Adventure" source code to Microsoft Micro Color Basic. The new basic source code should be easily shifted to other Basics. I elaborated a few uncompleted elements and areas and changed a few things to create some new challenges for old players.

I also added some new commands such as SCORE, which will tell you how you're doing and if you have won. HELP will provide some rudimentary aid. UNLOAD will perform the same function as the more standard "drop all" command of other adventures. QUIT not only exits but prompts whether you would like to save the progress you have made so far. You are prompted each time the program is run if you wish to load a previous game. The same file name "COLOSDAT" is used for each save, but in the emulator (VMC10.exe) you can save the resulting virtual cassette file to any file name you like in order to differentiate between different saves.

I re-coded the program from the Fortran source code and data file of Will Crowther's original version of "Advent" for the PDP-10 recently recovered from an old back-up tape by Dennis Jerz. This is not the classic "350 point" version modified by Don Woods. So if you are interested in playing a new version of the original version of the "original" text adventure, you can try this one out. My version contains all the room movement info in numeric form and most of the text descriptions of rooms and events. I had to wedge it into 20K of my favourite 8-bit the TRS-80 MC-10, so some of the descriptions got "edited" a little, but I was able to transfer the map info from the data file into Basic DATA statements, so it's a largely accurate rendition of the original map. I only made a very few tweaks where directions were quite clearly messed up or to eliminate a few NE, NW, SE and SW directions.

Using various descriptions from the Net of the puzzles and other game challenges and by examining Crowther's original source, I was able to recreate what I believe is a reasonably accurate presentation of all the original game elements. However, as I worked on the rooms in the Bedquilt (“Under Construction”) area of Crowther's original code I really could sense where his patience with the project petered out (sometime in 1975 or 1976) so I also ended up adding a few unique elements of my own to “complete” what is obviously an unfinished work just begging for elaboration. I can understand what tempted Don Woods to make his additions in 1977 to create the classic version.

That being said, I do not like some of the more surreal fantasy elements that Woods added. Crowther's version has a more austere set of locations, but they have a feel of realism that is absent from the classic version's chaotic hurly-burly of branches. Also, there is clearly a sense that Crowther's fantasy elements (Hall of the Mountain King, nasty little dwarfs, finding a cave in the woods) were drawn from a single classic narrative source, such as the story of Peer Gynt, rather than a hodgepodge of fantasy cliche's. I tried to respect this integrity in the few additions I made to fill out Crowther's obviously abandoned work.

Don Woods helped Crowther overcome the problem of the game's unfinished nature by significantly expanding the complexity of the cave and by adding improved scoring and completion routines. It's this latter version which is normally referred to as "the original adventure" or the "350 point" version. In homage to this latter title I have also made my re-coded version worth 350 points, although these points only represent six 50 point treasures. Only five of these treasures are present in Crowther's original. I have added one treasure and one puzzle and a few new threats. I have also slightly changed the operation of some of the magic of the original to prevent old hands from simply applying their prior knowledge.
Note: this review is based on older version of the game; this rating is not included in the game's average.

A Classic, September 5, 2011
by Deboriole (San Diego, CA)