exhibit21.gam
packaged together with sounds
exhibit.exe
packaged together with sounds
Windows Application (Windows 98 and later)
exhibit.gam
original competition entry, not packaged with sounds
readem.txt
Author's notes
wife.mp3
student.mp3
boy.mp3
critic.mp3
Feelies
Zip file containing scans of the original feelies, including an obituary clipping, invitation to the exhibition, and guide to the references in the paintings.
(Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Exhibition

by Ian Finley

Slice of life
1999

"The Hartman Gallery extends their invitation to an exhibition of Anatoly Domokov's "American Paintings." Who draws the line between art and life? HTML enhanced." [--blurb from Competition '99]

License: Shareware
IFIDs:  TADS2-0E7CEA71355019CDD9C9B4D960AE634C
TADS2-6C3BDF4A48E4A928B4FD95BFF21622B0
TUID: ruaersctvvr7t6vh

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 1999 XYZZY Awards

5th Place - 5th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (1999)

Closer to static fiction than a game, but still a masterfully done work, Exhibition tells the story of an artist through four people--his wife, a critic, a boy, and a student--exploring the gallery where his paintings are hanging, shortly after he's committed suicide. You play all of the characters; you can switch back and forth between them whenever you want, and the way you go through the story--whether you view all of the paintings as one character before you go on to the next character, or view one painting as all four characters, or some combination--is likely to affect how you experience the story, since the various takes on the artist have very little in common. The writing is terrific; each of the characters has a distinctive voice, and what they say about the artist illuminates them as much as it does the artist. The major drawback, however, is that the interactivity aspect is minimal; there's very little to do other than look at each painting through each set of eyes, meaning that the story doesn't really have any sort of pace; if the player finds the whole thing somewhat distancing, as some have, that may be why. Still, it's an intriguing experiment. There's background music as well--Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition," natch--though some have elected to turn it off, since it does get repetitive after a while.

-- Duncan Stevens

[...] the depth of characterization is highly unusual for IF, and it struck me along the way that I would find it genuinely entrancing if I sensed that understanding the character would somehow lead me to understand something, accomplish something--even within the game. Exhibition, in other words, may be significant more for what it could lead to--development of a particular character in order to move a story--than for the story it actually tells, where the trials and tribulations of the artist are the plot.
-- Duncan Stevens

Exhibition is a game of absences. It has no plot. It also has no puzzles, at least not in the way we're used to thinking about puzzles. There are no takeable objects whatsoever in the game, and most of the action consists of standing around examining things. What it does not lack, however, is quality. It's a masterwork of storytelling, creating a spellbinding narrative from spaces inbetween. I loved it.

Exploring Pictures at an Exhibition, July 6, 2019
The setting is the final exhibition of the artist Anatoly Domokov, following his suicide. You select one of four characters attending the exhibit and can switch between them at any time. While the game consists mainly of examining the environment and artwork, each character has an individual perspective and a role to play. Some knew the artist intimately, some academically, some not at all. The player has the agency to choose how they learn about the artist’s story.

Exhibition is the type of game that might be called plot-less or not interactive. There is a story, we’re just starting at the end and working our way back through recollections. Additionally, each character has their own personal story: why they’re here, what they hope to gain from the event, and what their conclusions are afterwards. I found it compelling to switch between views, putting the information together to come to my own conclusions.

If there’s a drawback it’s that (Spoiler - click to show)some characters actually are more relevant than others. I happened to choose the Boy to play first, and his perspective seemed to be the full story; exploring the other characters after that felt kind of pointless. So, it’s possible to accidentally stumble onto knowing too much before exploring all the characters.

A final note: the music files (played by the author) are the variations of Promenade from Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition suite. I wish this had been explained a little more in the credits, because it’s an interesting tie-in to the game’s inspiration.

A puzzle-less game in the 'shocking confessional' style of fiction, February 3, 2016
This game has no puzzles whatsoever, which is not necessarily a drawback. Games like Galatea and Aisle have shown that such things can be done effectively.

The game consists of an art gallery where four different characters can view 12 different paintings. Each person has a different take on the painting, and often you can discover the 'true meaning' of a painting from one character and not the other.

The game shows how art is partly the author and partly the viewer, and how the viewer creates art as it observes it. In this respect, it reminds me a lot of "Creatures such as we" by Lynnea Glasser.

I didn't enjoy the genre of the tale, though. It has the breathy, shocking, Schadenfreude feeling that's so popular. Books like the Kite Runner or Mudbound or other books where the characters have horrible or depressing secrets and it all comes together to a kind of gritty 'determination to live despite all' don't entice me. The story did not move me, which I found disappointing, considering that I'm a big fan of Ian Finley's work.

If you enjoyed Exhibition...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Exhibition, or gave both high ratings:

Ribbons, by J. D. Berry

Black Marker, by Michael Kielstra
Hidden in the shadows, the Agency works for the safety of the citizens. If your goals or beliefs do not appear to align with those of the Agency, you are liable to find yourself in trouble. There are those who believe that it is a menace...

HOJOTOHO!, by Cash DeCuir, Failbetter Games
Average member rating: (1 rating)
London's street musicians sing of a child Valkyrie, who roams the winding streets with her broom-spear, setting right the wrongs of the world. Join her crusade and mentor the abandoned children she has taken under her wing. But take...

Exhibition appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

Noteworthy Games Which Can't Be Played on iOS or the IFDB by Walter Sandsquish

The following polls include votes for Exhibition:

Influential Games by Rose
As a historical exercise, I've begun compiling a list of IF games that have either done something ground breaking with the medium or otherwise influenced it; and I've turned it into a poll so everyone can have input on the expansion....

No Mazes, please! by AndyC
I am a returning player to IF (which I loved 30 years ago) having recently discovered the fantastic Frotz for the iPad. Looking at some of the old games again has really blown me away. I don't enjoy drawing maps but I love reading good...

Vivid games by Jeff Sonas
I'm looking for games that evoked strong feelings or strong mental images that stayed with you long after you finished the games.

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 19 April 2013 at 6:07pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item