Night Guard / Morning Star

by Astrid Dalmady

My mother made a deal.

So here I am, working the night shift, alone with her work.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: D674C58C-DEFA-4F70-B7A2-27742230C0FC
TUID: h6jpja7b22x6bvk5

A mother/daughter relationship told through paintings and pain, October 4, 2019
I'll admit, I'm a big Astrid Dalmady fan. From her earliest games like You Are Standing at a Crossroads, I've found her writing comforting and cathartic.

So this game, I ate it up. It's not big on traditional interactivity. You just explore everything, then move on to the next step (on the surface, at least. In truth, the game tracks state and has many endings, but it doesn't appear like it).

What I like about it is the story. The label I'd like to apply is 'magical realism', although that's a subject I'm not an expert in, so I might be using it wrong. A day to day story with fantastic elements brought in that are treated matter-of-factly, for the most part.

What happens is you are the night guard for your mother's paintings, and (Spoiler - click to show)they begin to come to life. You must gather items for a ritual to summon back a lost painting.

You have options. Some choices cause you pain, and others cause you sadness. There are many endings.

Overall, I found it almost like a cleansing for the mind. The deep discussion of the mother-daughter relationship helped me think about my own relationships, and the ritualistic structure was like a form of meditation.

If you enjoyed Night Guard / Morning Star...