Night Guard / Morning Star

- kierlani, April 2, 2020

- airylef, March 15, 2020

- comfortcastle (Sheffield, UK), January 8, 2020

Slices of life from different pies you have to eat together, December 3, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
A beautiful Twine game by veteran Astrid Dalmady, this nevertheless left me a bit cold. Its funny how an art exhibition is practically an IF trope, and it was ripe for the Twine treatment. And while the use of medium is top notch, my feelings are mixed on the story. The prose is certainly evocative, though a bit melodramatic for my tastes and to the point where I find myself not sympathizing with our protagonist.

I quite enjoyed the first ending I came across where (Spoiler - click to show)Leonara becomes the artist, enough to try the game again. However, each ending I came across was less satisfying and made the story feel broken (I mean, really, (Spoiler - click to show)killing my mom is an option?). I enjoy multiple endings in a comedy or adventure game; but in a serious dramatic piece, I say tell the story you want to tell. Being able to change the PCs morals on a whim feels gross when the stakes are this high.

- LatinAlice (Canada), November 24, 2019

- AKheon (Finland), November 18, 2019

- tekket (Česk Lpa, Czech Republic), November 18, 2019

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), November 17, 2019

- dream, November 17, 2019

- Sobol (Russia), November 17, 2019

- jaclynhyde, October 9, 2019

A mother/daughter relationship told through paintings and pain, October 4, 2019
I'll admit, I'm a big Astrid Dalmady fan. From her earliest games like You Are Standing at a Crossroads, I've found her writing comforting and cathartic.

So this game, I ate it up. It's not big on traditional interactivity. You just explore everything, then move on to the next step (on the surface, at least. In truth, the game tracks state and has many endings, but it doesn't appear like it).

What I like about it is the story. The label I'd like to apply is 'magical realism', although that's a subject I'm not an expert in, so I might be using it wrong. A day to day story with fantastic elements brought in that are treated matter-of-factly, for the most part.

What happens is you are the night guard for your mother's paintings, and (Spoiler - click to show)they begin to come to life. You must gather items for a ritual to summon back a lost painting.

You have options. Some choices cause you pain, and others cause you sadness. There are many endings.

Overall, I found it almost like a cleansing for the mind. The deep discussion of the mother-daughter relationship helped me think about my own relationships, and the ritualistic structure was like a form of meditation.