I.A.G.-Alpha-win32.zip
Contains game.exe
Windows Application (Windows 7 and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
I.A.G.-Alpha.dmg
Mac OS X Installer
I.A.G.-Alpha.zip
Archive file that is playable with an INSTEAD interpreter. https://instead-hub.​github.​io/​en/

I.A.G. Alpha

by Serhii Mozhaiskyi

You may think this game is about a post-Soviet Research Institute. About an experiment that went out of control. You may think that the initials "I.A.G." are somehow related to the Institute. You may think this game is unfinished. You may even think that the game ends exactly as the author tells you.

But then you will figure it out -- these statements are not entirely true.

* There are two endings in this game.

* Credits roll at the end of the game.

* If you do not see the credits roll, you haven't reached the end of the game. Yet.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
Development System: INSTEAD
TUID: erj212utudi2kltv

18th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

IFComprehensive

All the different interfaces are well done individually and combine into a coherent whole. The conceit of reviving an earlier buggy game is charming, and the missing graphics and author notes throughout the game are excellent touches.

McT's Interactive Fiction Reviews

Truly meta, in the best possible sense, this little puzzly choice game is a delight. It is anything but incomplete, this game. It is a completely polished little gem. <...> The only ding this game gets is for its length. Im thoroughly enjoying it, then it ends. I do get it though this must have taken quite a bit of implementing.

The Breakfast Review
On the whole, I found this to be an intriguing little gem of a puzzle. The writing was fairly terse, which I found to be a relief after some of the wordier offerings so far. It felt to be just right for what the game was. And the Soviet complex setting did seem very suitable to the mechanics of the game, though of course they're technically unrelated; so did the general visual presentation of the yellowed drafting paper background. Very nice.

Brilliant meta game, November 23, 2018
I.A.G. Alpha was my favorite game from IFComp 2018, and I played all of them. An English translation of a work originally written in Russian, I.A.G. Alpha appears to be an unfinished game about a guy working at a post-Soviet research institute. Its opening text consists of a note from the author explaining that he never finished writing the game but decided to release what he had written anyway. On the second screen there are comments like "TODO: finish the scene on the roof" and "TODO: comment out the debugger." And, sure enough, there's a DEBUGGER command in the upper right corner that lets you peek into parts of the game's source code. After a few scenes the author stops the action once again, this time to say that he thinks the introductory text is too long, to detail what his original plan for the game was, and then to explain more about why he never finished it.

You play a little further, and you eventually come to realize that the "unfinished" aspect of the game you are purportedly playing is entirely intentional - in fact, it's a setup for the real game to pull what I think is the most genius meta move I've ever seen. I really don't want to spoil it by giving it away, but it's so simple and yet so fundamental. And that's what makes it work so well.

An absolutely brilliant game.

If you enjoyed I.A.G. Alpha...

People who like I.A.G. Alpha also gave high ratings to these games:

Death By Powerpoint, by Jack Welch
This Halloween, you have a PowerPoint presentation to deliver. And delivery it you will. Even if it kills you.

Code-10, by casper_nn
Average member rating: (1 rating)
A story about a space infantry major. It's a turn-based strategy with the gameplay similar to "Space Hulk: Death Angel" card game. Any fan of "XCom", "Alien Assault", "Aliens" and "Starship troopers" will appreciate it.

Nowhere Near Single, by kaleidofish
A young woman in the entertainment industry struggles with harmonizing her public pop star persona and her private polyamorous life. Warning for mildly graphic content.

I.A.G. Alpha appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games about interactive fiction itself by MathBrush
This is hopefully my last list. These are games that comment on the nature of interactive fiction or the interactive fiction community itself. The quality of these games varies wildly, and this list doesn't attempt to sort by quality....

The following polls include votes for I.A.G. Alpha:

Games where the interaction is really cool and clever by Isa
I'm really interested in games which put a new spin on the mechanics. I'm thinking of a specific one where the narrator is really mean to you and is its own character in the game, but I'm really interested in any games which are...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by techniX on 23 November 2018 at 8:51am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item