Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303

by Victor Gijsbers (as VigiMech Corporation) profile

A text terminal interface for interacting with your model RCM301-303 remote controlled mech.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: bwgfik2ah443geki

16th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

Strong, well-written drama that packs a punch, November 22, 2018
In Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303 you control a robot with one of your employees, Lemmy, inside. An explosion has occurred elsewhere in the facility, and Lemmy wants you to use the robot to destroy some incriminating evidence before the police show up.

This is just a bare outline of the plot. I don't want to say much else on the story other than there's more to this game than appears at first - which shouldn't surprise anyone who has played other games by Victor Gijsbers. (Check out some of his other titles to get a sense of what I mean.) Also, discovering what that more is led to one of the strongest emotional reactions I had to any game in IFComp 2018.

The writing is quite good. Lemmy's character comes out clearly from his patter. If I were more familiar with the UK's regional dialects I would probably be able to place Lemmy, but this American's ears couldn't do any better than "working-class" and "British."

Implementation is also strong. For example, to nail down the effect of controlling a robot remotely Victor had to replace many of Inform 7's standard error messages. It must have been a lot of work.

(Fun fact: This game is one of three in IFComp 2018 to feature a character who drives a Ford Fiesta.)

Overall, Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303 is a strong, well-written, and well-implemented game that... packs a punch.

If you enjoyed Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303...

People who like Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303 also gave high ratings to these games:

The Temple of Shorgil, by Arthur DiBianca
One day, travel guides will talk about this "masterpiece of the Pirothian architect Kitral" -- but only if you, the first person to visit it in over 1,000 years, can find out what's inside. (Puzzle-oriented and family friendly, with...

The Spectre of Castle Coris, by Larry Horsfield

Leadlight, by Wade Clarke
15-year-old Belinda Nettle is studying at Linville Girls High School in Australia's Blue Mountains. After falling asleep in the library one afternoon, she wakes from her mundane existence into a nightmare...

Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303 appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

The following polls include votes for Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303:

Games where the interaction is really cool and clever by Isa
I'm really interested in games which put a new spin on the mechanics. I'm thinking of a specific one where the narrator is really mean to you and is its own character in the game, but I'm really interested in any games which are...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 17 November 2018 at 10:10pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item