Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303

by Victor Gijsbers (as VigiMech Corporation) profile

A text terminal interface for interacting with your model RCM301-303 remote controlled mech.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: bwgfik2ah443geki

16th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

An excellently polished short sci fi game with multiple endings , April 25, 2019
This game by Victor Gijsbers contains many of the best elements from his former games, including an examination of player agency and strong NPCs.

You play as the commander of a mech, complete with manual and custom parser messages. Unfortunately, your visual components are damaged, so the on-scene pilot Lemmy has to do the talking for you. But Lemmy's quite the character, making life pretty difficult.

The parser is constrained to those verbs recognized by the mech, and even by the nouns which Lemmy 'tags'.

This game is shorter than I would like, but it's pretty good when my main critique is that I want more of it.

Contains some strong profanity in some paths.

Strong, well-written drama that packs a punch, November 22, 2018
In Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303 you control a robot with one of your employees, Lemmy, inside. An explosion has occurred elsewhere in the facility, and Lemmy wants you to use the robot to destroy some incriminating evidence before the police show up.

This is just a bare outline of the plot. I don't want to say much else on the story other than there's more to this game than appears at first - which shouldn't surprise anyone who has played other games by Victor Gijsbers. (Check out some of his other titles to get a sense of what I mean.) Also, discovering what that more is led to one of the strongest emotional reactions I had to any game in IFComp 2018.

The writing is quite good. Lemmy's character comes out clearly from his patter. If I were more familiar with the UK's regional dialects I would probably be able to place Lemmy, but this American's ears couldn't do any better than "working-class" and "British."

Implementation is also strong. For example, to nail down the effect of controlling a robot remotely Victor had to replace many of Inform 7's standard error messages. It must have been a lot of work.

(Fun fact: This game is one of three in IFComp 2018 to feature a character who drives a Ford Fiesta.)

Overall, Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303 is a strong, well-written, and well-implemented game that... packs a punch.

If you enjoyed Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303...

People who like Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303 also gave high ratings to these games:

The Northnorth Passage, by Caleb Wilson (as Snowball Ice)
Oh no, the old family curse has flared up! This is a short story about limits to action.

HOLY ROBOT EMPIRE, by Caleb Wilson (as Ralph Gide)
You are going to find the Robopope and then kiss its papal ring, or your name isnít Morgen Santamore.

Babel, by Ian Finley

Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303 appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

The following polls include votes for Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303:

Games where the interaction is really cool and clever by Isa
I'm really interested in games which put a new spin on the mechanics. I'm thinking of a specific one where the narrator is really mean to you and is its own character in the game, but I'm really interested in any games which are...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Individual Puzzles of 2018 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting puzzles in games released in 2018 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual Puzzle in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Writing of 2018 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2018 which you think might be worth considering for Best Writing in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 17 November 2018 at 10:10pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item