Story File, Release 3
Play online at sub-Q
Jugar en linea
Traducido por Ruber Eaglenest (Clérigo Urbatain)
Descargar versión en Español
Traducido por Ruber Eaglenest (Clérigo Urbatain)
Ectocomp 2014
Contains lime.z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Lime Ergot

by Caleb Wilson (as Rust Blight) profile

Now everyone is gone. (Well, almost everyone.)

Entry in ECTOCOMP 2014.

Language: English, Castilian (en, es)
First Publication Date: October 31, 2014
IFID: D411018C-89C6-4AB8-9F9B-21E38BD34002
TUID: b8mb4fcwmf1hrxl

Followed by prequel The Boot-Scraper, by Caleb Wilson (as Lionel Schwob)

6th Place - EctoComp 2014

36th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Segue
Lime Ergot is a telescoping perception puzzle. This is where its importance to the parser medium lies: it uses the traditional construction of objects and subobjects to recast movement and perception. For decades, the parser was very concerned with “mimetic” representations of realistic space, with achieving a form of immersion that is present, also, in graphical video games; particularly with achieving the sort of materiality and space that is also found in those games.

Works like this upend this ideal. They present a space that has to be traversed on different terms. You play Lime Ergot by falling into its descriptive text, one layer at a time. Most uses of this device only go a couple layers deep and rely on increasingly-minute detail; Lime Ergot discards our spatial expectations entirely, and not only builds in an implausible number of layers of perception, many of the moves are lateral or even not spatial at all. It’s probably one of the best representations, in fiction, of a hallucinatory or dissociating state.

spooky action at a distance
In short: this is one of the most coherent games I have played in terms of using the precise medium of interactivity to produce and highlight an emotional state in the player. It is an absolute gem of a game.

An indolent fever dream, January 20, 2015
by CMG (NYC)
In this game you never move. You see and remember and hallucinate.

You are standing on a sunbaked wharf and your commanding officer, a wizened general in a wheelchair, orders you to prepare her a cocktail: a green skull. It requires limes. You have no limes. This is the game's premise, and acquiring the limes is its only puzzle.

Because you cannot leave the general's side, all that you may do is "examine" your surroundings, and as your examinations deepen, you peel back diaphanous layer after diaphanous layer until the atmosphere is swimming with lost memories. The scenario is hazy and beautiful, but also wrong, diseased.

Castle of the Red Prince uses this same mechanic, but whereas that game allows the player to move lightning-fast across the landscape by simply "examining" different objects or locations, Lime Ergot internalizes the action by rooting you to a single spot. The sensations that you uncover gather around you like a fog, and experiencing this mood is the game's purpose.

I discovered two endings. Both are easy to find, and both are worth reading. More might be possible.

The game is short, the writing crisp, with subtle eccentricity throughout. On the surface it is as light and refreshing as a breeze, but there is a creeping plague wind underneath. Try it if that sounds promising; move on if you prefer more varied gameplay or puzzle-solving.

Hallucinated reality, August 31, 2020
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
Lime Ergot is a short game, but makes the most of its premise. You are one of only two surviving officers of a colonial military force; the other being the black-hearted and possibly insane general, who orders you to make her a drink. The game's central task is to find the ingredients for this drink. But rather than traversing a physical space through movement, we traverse a partially sensory and at least partially hallucinated space through use of the examine command. Examining things not only leads us from one object to others that were not initially described; rather, by making things present to our mind, it gives them reality and allows us to physically manipulate them. A fascinating mechanic that is combined with beautiful, evocative prose and a great atmosphere. A little gem.

Ingenious mechanic, unsettling atmosphere, May 8, 2015
by verityvirtue (London)
You and the general are the last ones left on the island of St Stellio, and she wants adrink. You’re the lower-ranking officer, so it’s up to you to get the drink done.

The game consists of find-the-object puzzles through descriptions which act like nested dolls (‘telescopic’ descriptions?). Examining one object reveals another, which reveals another, which reveals another… While the puzzle itself wasn't much, the joy of playing Lime Ergot was in the devices and scenery. The mechanic was ingenious, keeping the game’s scope small without feeling contrived. The writing is lush and evocative, and suited the mildly hallucinatory state of the PC. Lime Ergot is a well-thought-out, tidy piece for one written in three hours.

Similar to Castle of the Red Prince.

Approx playing time: 30 mins

If you enjoyed Lime Ergot...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Lime Ergot, or gave both high ratings:

Castle of the Red Prince, by C.E.J. Pacian
Welcome to Amaranth, foreigner. The Red Prince haunts your dreams, you say? If you want to overthrow our tyrant, you’ll need to consider this whole blighted land at once. (Castle of the Red Prince is a small text adventure with a...

How To Be A Blackbird, by Holly Gramazio
"A game about how to be a blackbird in a city. It takes around 10-15 minutes to play, and is best with sound." --blurb from <http://www.hollygramazio.net/other-games/>

The Matter of the Monster, by Andrew Plotkin
You stagger up to its lair. Blue sand drags at your feet. Your Hands don't tremble — well, much — as you ready your new weapon. Your voice doesn't quaver (hardly at all) as you shout out the words you were taught. One, two! Dive and...

Lime Ergot appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great "white hat" horror games by genre by MathBrush
This list does not include games intended to disgust or to make you personally feel evil. The focus is on games where good overcomes evil, or that just make you think. That is what I mean by "white hat" games. Games like Vespers or...

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

A timeline of some important games for authors by MathBrush
This is a timeline of some highly influential games that were among the first to use specific techniques or which left a mark on future games. It leaves out games like Spellbreaker, Birdland, or Superluminal Vagrant Twin that were...

The following polls include votes for Lime Ergot:

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

Games where the interaction is really cool and clever by Isa
I'm really interested in games which put a new spin on the mechanics. I'm thinking of a specific one where the narrator is really mean to you and is its own character in the game, but I'm really interested in any games which are...

Influential Games by Rose
As a historical exercise, I've begun compiling a list of IF games that have either done something ground breaking with the medium or otherwise influenced it; and I've turned it into a poll so everyone can have input on the expansion....

This is version 19 of this page, edited by Autymn Castleton on 17 December 2017 at 1:13am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item