Story file
README
Note from the author
Sample transcript
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

The Life (and Deaths) of Doctor M

by Michael D. Hilborn

Surreal
2011

Your vision clears as you gently land in an endless landscape. There is the wind, a bleak and chill thing. And there is your sense of uncertainty: You don't know which way to go. Or, maybe, which way you went.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
License: Creative Commons
IFID: 25EA7AC7-95F6-497E-B0CD-65014E7EB69A
TUID: uqy4x2pm6cslbrs0

6th Place overall; 3rd Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Nominee, Best Story; Winner, Best Individual Puzzle - 2011 XYZZY Awards

A review-your-life-from-the-afterlife game about mercy deaths, February 3, 2016
Doctor M is perhaps most famous for being part of the 4-game 'hat puzzle' (involving 3 other games from the IFComp). However, it stands well on its own.

There is a subgenre of IF consisting of games where you reflect on a life through flashbacks, and have to decide if you did the right thing or not. Tapestry, Photograph, and Map are examples.

Doctor M takes this on with panache. You have to revisit the death of three victims of you, a mercy-killing doctor. You then can choose your interpretation of the events.

There are some mild puzzles, including hunt-the-scenery and read-the -descriptions-carefully puzzles. There is one or two problems requiring a leap of intuition.

The writing was good. I believe some people said they didn't like the heavy-handedness of the moral dilemma presented in the game, but it's what's needed for this type of work.

The game has a literal angel and devil, and has 3 endings.

I enjoyed this game. I recommend it for fans of the afterlife genre.

If you enjoyed The Life (and Deaths) of Doctor M...

Other members recommend these games for people who like The Life (and Deaths) of Doctor M, or gave both high ratings:

rendition, by nespresso
They caught Abdul during an insurgency in the east. He tried to take out a regiment with some home-made explosives strapped to his chest. They didn't explode, so pretty soon the coalition had a real live terrorist in their clutches. But...

Dead Cities, by Jon Ingold
The letter you received from Arkwright's nephew Carter was clear enough: when the old man dies the inheritance tax will be too great. It's certain ruin, much like the estate itself. To raise some capital the nephew has set up buyers for...

August, by Matt Fendahleen

The Life (and Deaths) of Doctor M appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great religious and mythological games by MathBrush
My "Best Fantasy" list was growing too big, so I'm splitting off the religious, mythological, and afterlife games. Some games like Curses! have a lot of religious and mythological references, but this list focuses on games where it's the...

Xyzzy "Best Individual Puzzle" winners by Nusco
All the games that won the Best Individual Puzzle award, year by year. I'll avoid giveaway spoilers in my comments, but I'll still comment on the type and difficulty of the puzzle. I'll describe the puzzles by my own categories....

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Biggles2k on 22 February 2012 at 4:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item