Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

A Fine Day for Reaping

by James Webb (aka revgiblet) profile

Humor
2007

Step into the bare feet of the Grim Reaper for a day and make sure that five pesky souls keep their appointment with the afterlife.

First Publication Date: September 30, 2007
Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-400-C562B19B944B40542053A965212822DB
TUID: umf3driwf7g7b2s

7th Place - 13th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2007)

Winner, Best Story; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2007 XYZZY Awards

Death a la Pratchett, July 11, 2011
A Fine Day for Reaping presents the player as a semi-competent Death. The game's puzzles turn on the idea that Death doesn't really have particularly supernatural abilities: your challenge is to make sure that the people who are supposed to die do so on time. This is a somewhat embarrassing predicament for Death to be in, and the game makes the most of it; the required actions are occasionally a bit goofy and undignified. Most of the puzzles have multiple solutions, however, which keeps the game reasonably playable.

What stands out about the piece is the humor and the flashes of excellence in the writing. Sometimes reminiscent of Pratchett, the text works in a number of fine jokes, especially on the topic of what it's like to be a very tall thin skeletal man.

Parsing issues were the most common problem when I played (and these may have been addressed in post-competition releases). Nonetheless, the game as a whole is entertaining light comedy of a flavor that's not terribly common in IF. Worth a try.

Humorous game about grim reaper; nonlinear with multiple solutions, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This is an entertaining ADRIFT game which I played on Gargoyle on Windows. You play as the grim reaper, getting your daily list of souls to reap. You can complete your tasks in any order, and every puzzle has multiple solutions.

As you complete your tasks, you get page-long textdumps of truly entertaining material about your targets. There is a timer, but it is very generous. I usually use walkthroughs extensively, but I only required one hint in this game.

The humor is similar to Terry Pratchett or even Douglas Adams, just dry situational comedy more than slapstick. Some unusual settings for English-language IF (Himalayas, France, etc.).

If you enjoyed A Fine Day for Reaping...

People who like A Fine Day for Reaping also gave high ratings to these games:

Suveh Nux, by David Fisher
An entry in the 2007 One Room Game Competition. You play a magician's servant who gets trapped in your master's vault; you'll need to learn some of his tricks if you want to get out.

Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets, by Bitter Karella
Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets is a humorously grotesque (or grotesquely humorous) game about a circa 1929 street urchin and her pet sewer rat trying to survive a trip through a dark carnival full of sin, secrets, and murderous clowns....

Creatures Such As We, by Lynnea Glasser
A dating sim about how humanity connects through art, even out in the vastness of space.

A Fine Day for Reaping appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Recommended ADRIFT games by Lumin
There is so much IF made with ADRIFT out there. Like with any platform a certain percentage of them are just plain...not good, but there are some really fun games out there too that the community is historically terrible about...

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Emily Short on 10 March 2008 at 2:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item