9:05

by Adam Cadre profile

Slice of life
2000

In this game, you wake up and go about your regular business, though everything may not be as it seems. Warning: there is no built-in help in this story, so if you need it, you may have to play on your own. This game has multiple endings.

Language: English, Castilian (en, es)
First Publication Date: January 3, 2000
IFID: ZCODE-1-000210-5CCA
TUID: qzftg3j8nh5f34i2

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2000 XYZZY Awards

You're woken up by the telephone, having slept a lot longer than you should have, and there'll be hell to pay if you don't get out of the house in a hurry. A very short game with a devious twist that the IF theorists out there will find interesting. Gains immeasurably on replay.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Great for beginners and veterans alike, October 20, 2007
by Fredrik Ramsberg (Stockholm, Sweden)
This game is fun for IF veterans because it pokes fun at one of the most widely accepted conventions of interactive fiction. Had me laughing out loud the first time I played it, and had quite a replay value to see what happened if you chose the less obvious paths. As it happens, this is also a great game to throw at people who have never played IF. It's easy to get through, rewarding and makes most people crack a smile. And of course, it doesn't take a month to finish either. Great little piece.

Pure, pure, gold, October 3, 2010
by Stumpy (A maze of twisty little passages, all alike (apart from the one I'm currently in))
This was the first piece of IF I've played in a good many years and I stumbled across it quite by accident.

At first, with it being so short I thought either I'd done something wrong in my playthrough, but then the whole joke dawned on me.

Even on the second (OK, and the third) playthrough there were those superb little nuggets that I'd missed previously that, had I found them, would have made the whole thing soooo obvious (but so much less enjoyable).

A short, but superb romp that made me smile throughout.

Short but worth a few playthroughs, March 13, 2014
by Jerry Martin (Colossal Caves)
Related reviews: Short IF, Good for Beginners, 2014 Reviews
9:05 is a perfect example of why IF doesn't need to be five hours long to be good. In fact, the short length does it wonders, as it encourages replays and makes it great for newbies to enjoy without overwhelming them. It starts off with a scenario we've all likely had the displeasure of experiencing in real life: you wake up with a start to find the phone ringing. It's your co-worker, who informs you that you're five minutes late to a big meeting you've been planning for a while.

The basic goal is simple: get yourself cleaned up in a hurry, grab a bite and get to work before you lose your job. The real life connection you'll likely have in the game will primarily motivate you to finish the IF. However, it's the twists the story takes that really make 9:05 memorable and replayable for both IF vets and newbies alike. Like many reviews state, you'll understand once you play it and it will be fun to replay a few times.

However, 9:05 will only take about 5-10 minutes to complete on your first playthrough, which will offput a lot of players looking for a deep adventure to lose themselves into. However, I find it makes it accessible to newbies because of this and encourages the replay value the IF pushes for, though I do wish there were more areas and objects to interact with.

If you're still on the fence, give it a try. At worst, you'll waste about 5 minutes, which is nothing. At best, you'll find a great IF with twists and turns that will shock you and a lot of replay value.

If you enjoyed 9:05...

People who like 9:05 also gave high ratings to these games:

The Fat Lardo and the Rubber Ducky, by Anonymous

Back to the Future: Marty Quest, by George Gipe, Ryan North and Hulk Handsome
You are Marty McFly, 80s teen! You are stuck in a detention room after school. You need to escape the room otherwise you canít play in your band for tryouts tonight! The YMCA is counting on you! Inspired by a blog post by Ryan North,...

HUNTING UNICORN, by Chandler Groover
A maiden leads a unicorn hunt. Sixteen narrative variants. Choose-your-own-adventure style. Mature thematic elements.

9:05 appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

Games for Cindy by Matt Bates
Games that I would love to share with you.

Fun for Beginners by Raksab
These are games that a newcomer to IF might enjoy. They are well-implemented, not too frustrating, and help give a general idea of what kinds of things IF can do.

The following polls include votes for 9:05:

Influential Games by Rose
As a historical exercise, I've begun compiling a list of IF games that have either done something ground breaking with the medium or otherwise influenced it; and I've turned it into a poll so everyone can have input on the expansion....

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

Artistic Games by WriterBob
I'm interested in games that take the fiction of IF to new levels. These are not straightforward, plot driven games. Think instead of games that play like poetry, or games that focus on a character's revelation.

This is version 27 of this page, edited by Hulk Handsome on 25 August 2018 at 9:37pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item