9:05 v1.​11 (2012.​0724)
MS-DOS Application
Contains 905.PRC
converted to PalmOS .prc file
Palm OS Application (PalmOS low res devices and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
author's notes

by Adam Cadre profile

Slice of life

First Publication Date: January 3, 2000
IFID: ZCODE-1-000210-5CCA
TUID: qzftg3j8nh5f34i2

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2000 XYZZY Awards

You're woken up by the telephone, having slept a lot longer than you should have, and there'll be hell to pay if you don't get out of the house in a hurry. A very short game with a devious twist that the IF theorists out there will find interesting. Gains immeasurably on replay.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Brass Lantern
There's a nice sense of urgency about the opening text, and repeating 'the phone rings' over and over again (it also pops up after the room description) is a neat way of conveying, well, a phone ringing over and over again. I've certainly been in this sort of situation, and I had absolutely no trouble getting under the skin of the PC -- or so I thought. (Iain Merrick).

[...] my first play through the game ended with shock and surprise. If there's an equivalent to being nonplussed when you're sitting at a keyboard, I was it. (Mark Musante)

Gaming Enthusiast
The strength and charm of some games lies in their simplicity. This certainly applies to Adam Cadre’s little game from 2000 called 9:05.

Jay Is Games
Besides being very short, one of the especially notable qualities of this game is that it encourages replay. After you've played through the game at least once, you'll understand what I mean by this. An enjoyable and surprising game and just right for a casual game audience.

Jay Is Games
A humorous yarn about a person who must rush out of the house after waking up late, and yet so much more, 9:05 is as clever as its design is elegant.

Play This Thing!
9:05 is a tiny game, and everyone interested in interactive fiction should play it at least once.

The game plays smoothly with no real apparent problems [...] In the end, 9:05 is a simple game which could almost be described as puzzle-less one [...] somewhat closer in spirit to Cadre's take on Flowers for Algernon than his other more involved Photopia or I-0.

Great for beginners and veterans alike, October 20, 2007
by Fredrik Ramsberg (Stockholm, Sweden)
This game is fun for IF veterans because it pokes fun at one of the most widely accepted conventions of interactive fiction. Had me laughing out loud the first time I played it, and had quite a replay value to see what happened if you chose the less obvious paths. As it happens, this is also a great game to throw at people who have never played IF. It's easy to get through, rewarding and makes most people crack a smile. And of course, it doesn't take a month to finish either. Great little piece.

Pure, pure, gold, October 3, 2010
by Stumpy (A maze of twisty little passages, all alike (apart from the one I'm currently in))
This was the first piece of IF I've played in a good many years and I stumbled across it quite by accident.

At first, with it being so short I thought either I'd done something wrong in my playthrough, but then the whole joke dawned on me.

Even on the second (OK, and the third) playthrough there were those superb little nuggets that I'd missed previously that, had I found them, would have made the whole thing soooo obvious (but so much less enjoyable).

A short, but superb romp that made me smile throughout.

Short but worth a few playthroughs, March 13, 2014
by Jerry Martin (Colossal Caves)
Related reviews: Short IF, Good for Beginners, 2014 Reviews
9:05 is a perfect example of why IF doesn't need to be five hours long to be good. In fact, the short length does it wonders, as it encourages replays and makes it great for newbies to enjoy without overwhelming them. It starts off with a scenario we've all likely had the displeasure of experiencing in real life: you wake up with a start to find the phone ringing. It's your co-worker, who informs you that you're five minutes late to a big meeting you've been planning for a while.

The basic goal is simple: get yourself cleaned up in a hurry, grab a bite and get to work before you lose your job. The real life connection you'll likely have in the game will primarily motivate you to finish the IF. However, it's the twists the story takes that really make 9:05 memorable and replayable for both IF vets and newbies alike. Like many reviews state, you'll understand once you play it and it will be fun to replay a few times.

However, 9:05 will only take about 5-10 minutes to complete on your first playthrough, which will offput a lot of players looking for a deep adventure to lose themselves into. However, I find it makes it accessible to newbies because of this and encourages the replay value the IF pushes for, though I do wish there were more areas and objects to interact with.

If you're still on the fence, give it a try. At worst, you'll waste about 5 minutes, which is nothing. At best, you'll find a great IF with twists and turns that will shock you and a lot of replay value.

If you enjoyed 9:05...