dawn.zip
Contains dawn.hex
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Hugo interpreter - visit the Hugo home page for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Fallacy of Dawn

by Robb Sherwin profile

Episode 1 of New Haz
2001

In a world that never quite got over the '80s, Delarion Yar dispenses quarters for the local arcade... badly. A software pirate from better days, he's crossed the wrong people one too many times. Locked into the city of New Haz with a criminal record, he's reached his lowest point and he'll do anything to get out.

First Publication Date: September 27, 2001
Development System: Hugo
IFID: HUGO-31-48-31-12-21-06
TUID: n8ngm7hx5z5e9csz

Nominee, Best Game; Winner, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best NPCs; Winner, Best Individual NPC; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2001 XYZZY Awards

Like most of Robb Sherwin's games, this one is marked with memorable writing, strongly defined NPCs, and an occasional disregard for the bounds of good taste. It surpasses most of his other efforts in both scope and playability, however: the setting of the near-future dystopia of New Haz is extensive, and the included map makes it possible to get a handle on the layout despite its ambitious size. There are some bugs and logical inconsistencies, and (particularly in the end game) some places where it becomes difficult to communicate one's intentions to the game. Despite some guess-the-verb problems, however, this is a vivid and memorable ride.

-- Emily Short

IF-Review
Substantive and Energetic
There are a lot of positives about this game, and a lot of negatives. Robb Sherwin has always been most notable for raw style, a way with language that draws on a lot of expletives, and vivid characters of a certain type. All of the above are to some extent present in this game, but so are bugs and some implementation flaws. (Emily Short)

IF-Review
Another Look
All in all, if you're looking to interact with a tough punk setting for a while, or some tough punk characters, or if you've never gotten over your enchantment with the 'Crystal Castles' game, odds are good that you'll enjoy 'Fallacy of Dawn' a lot. If puzzles are more your thing, then I'd still recommend you at least give this game five or ten minutes of your time for a test-drive. It might just grow on you. (Roger Carbol)

Eric Mayer via rec.games.int-fiction
Robb Sherwin's Fallacy of Dawn is his best game yet. Somewhere in a bleak future we can only hope is more distant than it seems, protagonist Delarion Yar scratched out a living breaking software copy protection. Then some mysterious assailants put an end to his career, not only pounding him into unconsciousness but operating on his brain as well. Now Yar can no longer perceive the electromagnetic spectrum correctly. Thrown out into the city of New Haz with a criminal record, meaning he is unable to leave without paying a huge tariff, Yar cannot even effectively type his own name.

Reviews from Trotting Krips
Alright, first of all, let's get this part out of the way, for those of you who are still scoring at home, despite the fact that nobody's written anything on this website in three months, and I personally have not written anything anywhere in like three years:

Chicks Dig Jerks: Begins in seedy bar, moves swiftly to cemetary.
A Crimson Spring: Begins in seedy bar, moves swiftly to cemetary.
Fallacy of Dawn: Begins in sushi bar, moves swiftly to morgue.
Let me be the first to say that it's nice to see Robb Sherwin finally break out of that rut.

Brass Lantern - The Internet Fiction Review Conspiracy
Can Pac-Man make you cry?

The plot is second-rate sci-fi at best, but even second-rate sci-fi is worth playing along with if it's memorably written. I can't imagine what sort of IF Robb would write if he turned his attention to some of the basic principles of game design, and I wouldn't say that his writing makes up for every sin -- I wouldn't recommend Chicks Dig Jerks to anyone. As much as Fallacy of Dawn does wrong, however, I can't in good conscience refuse to give it a chuckle and a thumbs-up.

Flawed But Entertaining, February 19, 2014
This was the first game by this author I played through to the end, and I found it surprisingly entertaining. Years ago, I had slotted it into the "don't bother" category over some of the flaws that are glaringly apparent within ten minutes of beginning, and I'm glad I disregarded that initial impression and tried again.

Where the game shines, and where it's entirely focused, and what makes it worth playing despite the implementation flaws, is the narrative and the characters (there are no "he looks exactly as you would expect a clerk to look" descriptions here), and both are engaging enough in a light action movie kind of way to want to see through to the end. Too often I found myself in a situation where I needed to simply "wait" a turn before talking to an NPC again or before something interesting happened on its own. I can't help but think this would have been a better game if it had been written in a different format (say, CYOA or CYOA-hybrid) that allowed these strengths to really shine.

Unfortunately one of the four or five missions in the open world segment gives away much of the ending if you're at all genre savvy and even remotely paying attention (if you want to avoid this, don't hunt down (Spoiler - click to show)Failed Romero).

Even though I knew what was coming, it was still compelling enough to make me want to see how it played out. In some respects it felt as if the author lost interest after the big reveal; I would have liked to have known more about the ramifications of what was going on. But the conclusion was rewarding and the game definitely felt complete.

If you enjoy action science fiction, this is well worth playing, just save often and have a walkthrough handy.

If you enjoyed Fallacy of Dawn...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Fallacy of Dawn, or gave both high ratings:

Zero Sum Game, by Cody Sandifer

Bee, by Emily Short
The story of a home-schooled girl preparing to compete in the national spelling bee, dealing with various small crises with family and friends, and gradually coming to terms with the clash of subcultures involved in belonging to a family...

Pogoman GO!, by Jack Welch and Ben Collins-Sussman
The world is full of Pogomen, and now that you donít have a job or family to worry about, you might as well get back to it!

Fallacy of Dawn appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Started But Unfinished Games by GameDesigner
These are games that I started and never got around to finishing. I intend to finish them one at at time.

Some interesting games by Atropos

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

The following polls include votes for Fallacy of Dawn:

Once More, With Feelies by Ghalev
I'm polling to learn of modern (post-commercial-era) IF that revels in the tradition of providing additional documentation & related materials which are evocative and deepen your enjoyment of the game. What games have gone that extra...

Games with an abrupt and unexpected ending twist by dutchmule
I'm looking for games which, as in a lot of short stories, feature a sudden and unexpected revelation/twist at the very end of the game, that possibly changes your interpretation of what the game was really all about. (but please be...

Best IF Titles by Fredrik
No doubt you have played some great games with great titles, or been disappointed to find games with great titles that did not hold up to expectations. What are the best titles of IF? They can be funny, elegant, evocative, or whatever...

This is version 10 of this page, edited by Adolia on 29 July 2013 at 10:38am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item