Story File (Release 2)
Story File (Release 1)

Calm

by Joey Jones profile and Melvin Rangasamy

2011

Since the spores came life has been happier. How could it not be? For now stress is fatal and all who remain alive must remain calm...

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: C17C8810-674D-475F-A859-AB29EB965E0D
TUID: l63f3uuzl1x8a1

20th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

News

Calm Post-Comp Release December 5, 2011
Expand all | Add a news item

My kingdom for 3 1/2 stars, April 30, 2012
by katz (Altadena, California)
First off: The premise of Calm is brilliant. Earth has been decimated by a fungus that causes stress to kill you. Like any proper post-apocalyptic game (a woefully underrepresented genre in IF), you have to act carefully to survive, but the survival process is based on avoiding stressful situations and finding ways to destress.

The descriptions are atmospheric and evocative; coupled with the smooth implementation, it's a rewarding world to just wander through.

There are, however, some issues that keep this good game from being a great game.

First, the player's mood is a two-axis scale described by a single adjective. While I must applaud the author's vocabulary, it left me constantly guessing. I would have preferred two quantitative values to one qualitative one, although I suspect other players may disagree.

Second, while multiple solutions and implicit actions are both good mechanics, I don't think they work that well in conjunction. The game allows various items to be used for various acts and automatically picks one of them if you don't specify. Since items are everywhere and there's no carrying capacity, most actions succeed without you really having to think about them. Again, some people may like this; I found it too Nemean-Lion-ish. Occasionally the games choices didn't make sense, either (smashing a lock with a bottle).

Third, the starting quests feel pointless to me. For instance, one requires you to gather food, but you never need the food, and you aren't penalized nor does the quest revert to incomplete if you eat all the food or drop it.

Still, it's a well-realized game and I found myself returning to it. My concerns may not bother other players at all. Calm is worth checking out.

A great concept frustrated by mechanics. Stay calm or die., May 6, 2016
In this game, you can customize your name, background, goals, etc. You then are let loose in a world where a mutant fungus makes you die if you stress out.

The customization is fun, and a sliding scale of emotions is provided in the corner.

However, this ambitious game falls short in execution with a wide variety of bugs, mainly synonym bugs. This causes frustration.

Overall, recommended for the beginning.

If you enjoyed Calm...