Story file (latest version)
The most recent version of the game, stored at the author's website.
Story file (comp version)
The original version of the game, as entered into the 2010 IFComp.
Source repository
The game's Inform 7 source and skein files, shared on GitHub.

The Warbler's Nest

by Jason McIntosh profile

Surely the reed bank counts as a wild place. While it gives you so much, you've never tended it, not really, not like you do with your garden. It's something like the forest, then, but much safer to search without attracting attention. So here you are.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2010
IFID: 6B9D8019-65AD-4BAE-90E0-D83AB5E3E464
TUID: he5spzmz6vr4dgej

9th Place - 16th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2010)

Nominee, Best Game; Winner, Best Story; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2010 XYZZY Awards

34th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

Expand all | Add a news item

Play This Thing
The gap between you and 'you'
The Warbler's Nest is an interactive fiction about perception: what seems to be going on may or may not be what is actually going on.

If you play only one game from this year's comp I would heartily recommend The Warbler's Nest, with some slight reservations. The genre that would describe it the closest would probably be "psychological thriller."

As is the usual case, the game starts with little to no information and gradually tells the player what's going on. The clever part is that at some point your perception of the setting changes to something completely else, and it's not a Shyamalanian "Look! A twist!" but the player comes to the chilling conclusion gradually. The restrained style of writing supports the big picture perfectly.

Quiet and contemplative horror, February 19, 2011
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
Many pieces of interactive fiction have played with a difference in knowledge between the player and the protagonist. Often, the protagonist knows more than the player, since he or she is supposed to be familiar with the fictional worlds; but sometimes, the protagonist is so naive, stupid or self-deluded that the player understands things the protagonist does not. The Warbler's Nest falls into this latter category, although this time the knowledge difference is generated by the protagonist living a long time ago and having beliefs that we know (or at least strongly believe) are false.

In a sense, this is a horror piece, but horror of the most quiet kind. The horrific "revelation" is obvious well in advance, so the interest of the piece has to come from a contemplation of the beliefs, fears and hopes of the protagonist. Jason McIntosh conveys these very clearly, and the fact that they are simultaneously so understandable and so alien, and are combined with the potential for disaster, makes for a stimulating experience.

If one had to complain, one would probably point out that there is not much of a game here, but given the short time it will take you to traverse this piece, this is not a very serious complaint. I would like to see more pieces that are as quiet and contemplative as The Warbler's Nest.

One question that this piece has raised for me: can a story be considered a tragedy if none of the people in the fictional world consider it to be such?

Short Game, Sticks with You, October 23, 2015
by RickyD (South Carolina, USA)
What a game! It really messed with my head. Although I've never faced the exact dilemma faced by the protagonist, (Spoiler - click to show)I am the father of a young child and know what its like to try to calm an inconsolable baby, especially when you're both sleep-deprived. As such, finding the happy endings was fairly easy, and I couldn't bring myself to try the "unhappy" one, even though I know it's just a game. Yes, to me it was that compelling of a story, even though it was a short one.

Maybe I just get too caught up in it, but that says a lot about the game itself.

If I had to nitpick one thing -- there are a lot of places mentioned in the narration that you can't actually visit. I know it hints at a larger world "out there", but I don't know that it was necessary. But that's a minor thing that I'm willing to overlook.

Short, medieval, edgy psychological thriller, August 6, 2015
This is a game kind of like the stories Ethan Frome or the Yellow Wallpaper, where you have a kind of growing sick feeling in your gut, not from gore or sex or anything like that, but from a disturbing psychological predicament.

This game is set in medieval times, and deals with faeries and the fey. Or does it? It's hard to tell. You are outside gathering eggshells, and soon you discover what purpose they are for.

This game has stuck with me for a very long time. It creeped me out. I don't want to give away too much, so suffice to say that you can make strong moral choices.

If you enjoyed The Warbler's Nest...

People who like The Warbler's Nest also gave high ratings to these games:

Got Toast?, by Jim Fisher
You promised your girlfriend Beth a home cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, and syrup. But considering you've only got bread and a new toaster in your kitchen, this may be a difficult promise to keep.

Monday, 16:30, by Alexander "Mordred" Andonov
How long is half an hour when you are bored and miserable? How about when it's Monday, and it's 16:30? How about when you're in love?

The Skeleton Key of Ambady, by Caelyn Sandel (as Adalai Trammels)
I come through town every dozen years or so. Strangers still seem strange, but I've found work and welcome everywhere I've been. I come and go as I please. Don't waste your worry on me. The Skeleton Key of Ambady was written for Nigel...

The Warbler's Nest appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My Favourite Literary IF by Janos Honkonen
These are my favourite games which I consider to be more story than puzzle based.

Great games in a mostly realistic setting by MathBrush
These are games that for the most part don't contain magical elements or futuristic technology. This includes games where there might be magic or futuristic technology, but you don't know until the end. So several of these games do...

The following polls include votes for The Warbler's Nest:

Birds in IF by Wendymoon
What games can you think of with birds in them? What's the bird? Is it important to the game?

Mother-Daugher Relations by matt w (Matt Weiner)
What are some IF works that involve a relationship between a mother and a daughter? Not necessarily as the center of the work, but as something that impinges on it at all.

Games for iPhone or other mobile devices by DenniaDale
This is simple and I'm sure the list will grow as new games are developed, but what IF games are available for the iPhone, or like devices? I'm aware of one called "Cathy's Book" which looks like a lot of fun, at least for girls, but...

This is version 10 of this page, edited by Jason McIntosh on 22 November 2014 at 11:25pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item