Story file (latest version)
The most recent version of the game, stored at the author's website.
Story file (comp version)
The original version of the game, as entered into the 2010 IFComp.
Source repository
The game's Inform 7 source and skein files, shared on GitHub.

The Warbler's Nest

by Jason McIntosh profile

2010

Surely the reed bank counts as a wild place. While it gives you so much, you've never tended it, not really, not like you do with your garden. It's something like the forest, then, but much safer to search without attracting attention. So here you are.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2010
IFID: 6B9D8019-65AD-4BAE-90E0-D83AB5E3E464
TUID: he5spzmz6vr4dgej

9th Place - 16th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2010)

Nominee, Best Game; Winner, Best Story; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2010 XYZZY Awards

34th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Play This Thing
The gap between you and 'you'
The Warbler's Nest is an interactive fiction about perception: what seems to be going on may or may not be what is actually going on.

If you play only one game from this year's comp I would heartily recommend The Warbler's Nest, with some slight reservations. The genre that would describe it the closest would probably be "psychological thriller."

As is the usual case, the game starts with little to no information and gradually tells the player what's going on. The clever part is that at some point your perception of the setting changes to something completely else, and it's not a Shyamalanian "Look! A twist!" but the player comes to the chilling conclusion gradually. The restrained style of writing supports the big picture perfectly.

Quiet and contemplative horror, February 19, 2011
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
Many pieces of interactive fiction have played with a difference in knowledge between the player and the protagonist. Often, the protagonist knows more than the player, since he or she is supposed to be familiar with the fictional worlds; but sometimes, the protagonist is so naive, stupid or self-deluded that the player understands things the protagonist does not. The Warbler's Nest falls into this latter category, although this time the knowledge difference is generated by the protagonist living a long time ago and having beliefs that we know (or at least strongly believe) are false.

In a sense, this is a horror piece, but horror of the most quiet kind. The horrific "revelation" is obvious well in advance, so the interest of the piece has to come from a contemplation of the beliefs, fears and hopes of the protagonist. Jason McIntosh conveys these very clearly, and the fact that they are simultaneously so understandable and so alien, and are combined with the potential for disaster, makes for a stimulating experience.

If one had to complain, one would probably point out that there is not much of a game here, but given the short time it will take you to traverse this piece, this is not a very serious complaint. I would like to see more pieces that are as quiet and contemplative as The Warbler's Nest.

One question that this piece has raised for me: can a story be considered a tragedy if none of the people in the fictional world consider it to be such?

Short, medieval, edgy psychological thriller, February 3, 2016
This is a game kind of like the stories Ethan Frome or the Yellow Wallpaper, where you have a kind of growing sick feeling in your gut, not from gore or sex or anything like that, but from a disturbing psychological predicament.

This game is set in medieval times, and deals with faeries and the fey. Or does it? It's hard to tell. You are outside gathering eggshells, and soon you discover what purpose they are for.

This game has stuck with me for a very long time. It creeped me out. I don't want to give away too much, so suffice to say that you can make strong moral choices.

Short Game, Sticks with You, October 23, 2015
by RickyD (South Carolina, USA)
What a game! It really messed with my head. Although I've never faced the exact dilemma faced by the protagonist, (Spoiler - click to show)I am the father of a young child and know what its like to try to calm an inconsolable baby, especially when you're both sleep-deprived. As such, finding the happy endings was fairly easy, and I couldn't bring myself to try the "unhappy" one, even though I know it's just a game. Yes, to me it was that compelling of a story, even though it was a short one.

Maybe I just get too caught up in it, but that says a lot about the game itself.

If I had to nitpick one thing -- there are a lot of places mentioned in the narration that you can't actually visit. I know it hints at a larger world "out there", but I don't know that it was necessary. But that's a minor thing that I'm willing to overlook.

If you enjoyed The Warbler's Nest...