Release 3 (author)
Until it's uploaded at ifarchive
Release 3 Beta Hints
includes latest things to find
Release 2 Game File

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
IFID: EE1E938E-D78D-4582-BB0F-D702D30DC868
TUID: gn913naa45qwdv2t

Followed by sequel Fourdiopolis, by Andrew Schultz

7th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

Threediopolis release 3 August 17, 2014
Threediopolis Release Two December 31, 2013
Expand all | Add a news item

A pure word puzzle game with interesting mechanics, February 3, 2016
This game is by Andrew Schultz, a noted author of puzzle and wordplay games. You go around a three dimensional city with a list of tasks and addresses to complete them at.

Part of the game is just figuring out what is going on, which I didn't experience, as I already knew the premise.

The puzzles in this game are challenging but fun. Andrew has made it easier by not requiring you to solve every puzzle to beat the game.

A must-play for fans of wordplay.

Neat concept, but gets somewhat tedious towards the end, October 19, 2013
This game is about wordplay, and it's mostly about figuring this particular puzzle out in a systematic manner (almost no objects to interact with, which in this case is fine).
You are given a list of tasks to accomplish, and each of them implies figuring out a specific command related to the constraint at play here. You can figure out about half of them fairly easily, then you realize that you missed a few more; you then get somewhat stuck, but luckily you can use the room numbers to try to get more information about the rest of the commands (very wise from the author to have included those, the game would be simply too hard without them). And then, there's the last lousy ones, including obscure ones (also, it's not very clear that you can combine two words, so you can get stuck on the longer words for a while if you don't realize that).

Apart from those commands, there's a few more that generate a (usually funny) response from the game - which is an interesting design choice (it could have been than any valid command would give you a point, but it's not; although I feel some of those "extra" commands could have been on the task list, which could have bumped the tedious ones off the list and made the game less frustrating). But yay for Big Lebowski references.

The writing was actually somewhat underwhelming, I found. Responses to valid commands rarely go for longer than one line, which doesn't really make it that rewarding. (I know writing 45 different responses is soul-crushing, but here I feel it's a necessary evil!!) The end message (for completing the task list) is incredibly underwhelming too. ((Spoiler - click to show)We spend hours running around, putting things in a quantum shoebox to prepare a mysterious party, please tell us how the party went, if the boss was pleased, how we managed to fill the room with the box's contents, anything!). I did notice a few typos, and a non-critical bug, but nothing more.

To sum up, it's almost all about that wordplay puzzle, which is fun and challenging, making the experience enjoyable but a little rough.

Wow, I just got this., October 30, 2013
I originally reviewed this shortly after playing it during the IF Competition, which was a mistake. The stress/strain of having limited time to play brought out a (bizarre) inability to even figure out the basic mechanism at play.

I've since re-played it: it is very, very clever, but far from impossible.

Don't spoil this one: most of the joy is in figuring out the mechanic and exploring it.

On top of the excellent puzzle mechanic, the writing is good, fun, and crisp.

If you enjoyed Threediopolis...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Threediopolis, or gave both high ratings:

Shuffling Around, by Andrew Schultz (as Ned Yompus)
A weird power to save a weird world. So you just got fired from the best company ever, and it's the best day of your life. New opportunities! New horizons! New ways to look at things! Like calling this stupid kiss-off job fair a...

creak, creak, by chandler groover
"You have to look." 111 words. Made for Porpentine's Twiny Jam.

Earth and Sky 2: Another Earth, Another Sky, by Paul O'Brian

Threediopolis appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Word-play and word puzzles by streever
This is my list of fun games for word-play/puzzles. Some of them have substantial stories, and some do not.

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

Recommended Linguistic Games by E.K.
Good games that use language puzzles, or language itself as the puzzle.

The following polls include votes for Threediopolis:

Games much improved in later versions by Karl Ove Hufthammer
Most IF works are only available in ‘version 1’, but some are released in updated versions. And a few see a large amount of bug fixing, rewriting and polish. This is a poll for highlighting these games, games that the authors have taken...

Games with "logical" puzzles by Victor Gijsbers
Some puzzles--like chess problems or sudokus--can be difficult even though you know all the rules. I'm looking for IF games with this kind of puzzle: you can get to know the rules by simple exploration, and then you still have to solve...

Games with unique hint systems by delano
I'm looking for games that offer hints in any way, except for printing them in sequence on the screen. For example: characters that offer hints; objects that, when examined or used in a certain way, suggest actions to the player; etc.

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Andrew Schultz on 17 August 2014 at 2:57am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item