Release 4
Release 4 zip with invisiclues, logic document, etc.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter with Blorb support - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Original Comp File
submitted 9/​30/​2013
GitHub site
Source control for the game project
Release 4 - direct non-zip link
For automated downloads, sometimes non-zip files are better.

Threediopolis

by Andrew Schultz profile

A wordplay/quasi-maze game.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
IFID: EE1E938E-D78D-4582-BB0F-D702D30DC868
TUID: gn913naa45qwdv2t

Followed by sequel Fourdiopolis, by Andrew Schultz

7th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

Threediopolis release 4 August 14, 2016
Threediopolis release 3 August 17, 2014
Threediopolis Release Two December 31, 2013
Expand all | Add a news item

A pure word puzzle game with interesting mechanics, February 3, 2016
This game is by Andrew Schultz, a noted author of puzzle and wordplay games. You go around a three dimensional city with a list of tasks and addresses to complete them at.

Part of the game is just figuring out what is going on, which I didn't experience, as I already knew the premise.

The puzzles in this game are challenging but fun. Andrew has made it easier by not requiring you to solve every puzzle to beat the game.

A must-play for fans of wordplay.

Wow, I just got this., October 30, 2013
I originally reviewed this shortly after playing it during the IF Competition, which was a mistake. The stress/strain of having limited time to play brought out a (bizarre) inability to even figure out the basic mechanism at play.

I've since re-played it: it is very, very clever, but far from impossible.

Don't spoil this one: most of the joy is in figuring out the mechanic and exploring it.

On top of the excellent puzzle mechanic, the writing is good, fun, and crisp.

Neat concept, but gets somewhat tedious towards the end, October 19, 2013
This game is about wordplay, and it's mostly about figuring this particular puzzle out in a systematic manner (almost no objects to interact with, which in this case is fine).
You are given a list of tasks to accomplish, and each of them implies figuring out a specific command related to the constraint at play here. You can figure out about half of them fairly easily, then you realize that you missed a few more; you then get somewhat stuck, but luckily you can use the room numbers to try to get more information about the rest of the commands (very wise from the author to have included those, the game would be simply too hard without them). And then, there's the last lousy ones, including obscure ones (also, it's not very clear that you can combine two words, so you can get stuck on the longer words for a while if you don't realize that).

Apart from those commands, there's a few more that generate a (usually funny) response from the game - which is an interesting design choice (it could have been than any valid command would give you a point, but it's not; although I feel some of those "extra" commands could have been on the task list, which could have bumped the tedious ones off the list and made the game less frustrating). But yay for Big Lebowski references.

The writing was actually somewhat underwhelming, I found. Responses to valid commands rarely go for longer than one line, which doesn't really make it that rewarding. (I know writing 45 different responses is soul-crushing, but here I feel it's a necessary evil!!) The end message (for completing the task list) is incredibly underwhelming too. ((Spoiler - click to show)We spend hours running around, putting things in a quantum shoebox to prepare a mysterious party, please tell us how the party went, if the boss was pleased, how we managed to fill the room with the box's contents, anything!). I did notice a few typos, and a non-critical bug, but nothing more.

To sum up, it's almost all about that wordplay puzzle, which is fun and challenging, making the experience enjoyable but a little rough.

If you enjoyed Threediopolis...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Threediopolis, or gave both high ratings:

Shuffling Around, by Andrew Schultz (as Ned Yompus)
A weird power to save a weird world. So you just got fired from the best company ever, and it's the best day of your life. New opportunities! New horizons! New ways to look at things! Like calling this stupid kiss-off job fair a...

Enough, by Hannah Powell-Smith
You're doing OK. A tiny game about comfort. Made for the TinyUtopias jam.

The Profile, by Mike Snyder
Rain pours, and with it, distant thunder. You approach the house, perhaps quickly. Your boots leave muddy footprints on the steps. It's cold. It's dark. The time is between 2:30 and 4:00 AM; you're not entirely sure. The Profile is a...

Threediopolis appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Recommended Linguistic Games by E.K.
Good games that use language puzzles, or language itself as the puzzle.

Favorite wordplay/puzzle/code games by MathBrush
Games whose main 'genre' is wordplay. This list does not include games like the Edifice or Suveh Nux which have significant wordplay elements, but which are not the focus of the story.

Word-play and word puzzles by streever
This is my list of fun games for word-play/puzzles. Some of them have substantial stories, and some do not.

The following polls include votes for Threediopolis:

Games with "logical" puzzles by Victor Gijsbers
Some puzzles--like chess problems or sudokus--can be difficult even though you know all the rules. I'm looking for IF games with this kind of puzzle: you can get to know the rules by simple exploration, and then you still have to solve...

Vertical Games by Anya Johanna DeNiro
Looking for games that really explore verticality, which go up (way up) in their setting. Human-made structures in particular: towers, skyscrapers, radio antennae. Games that figuratively can make you feel dizzy, particularly after a...

Dystopia by dacharya64
I love dystopian fiction, and after playing Square Circle, I decided I had to see if there were other dystopian tales in the IF-verse.

This is version 12 of this page, edited by Wake Reality on 23 April 2017 at 12:24pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item