by Lynnea Glasser profile

Stolen away by apathetic Blind Ones, your only desire is to return to your Cellarium and the Song of the Universe. They should understand. You shall make them to understand.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
IFID: 98B2F638-F1F7-4FD9-93BB-56BC86FB2C07
TUID: g0fl99ovcrq2sqzk

1st Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Winner, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Winner, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Winner, Best Individual PC; Nominee, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Supplemental Materials - 2013 XYZZY Awards

6th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2015 edition)

A mid-length sci-fi game from an alien perspective, September 14, 2015
Coloratura is one of the greatest sci-fi IF of all time. In this game, you play as a being utterly different from us that encounters a situation it has never experienced before.

The game has all of the usual commands, plus some new commands, the most interesting of which are color-based commands. Different colors signify different moods or ideas.

The puzzles are extremely rewarding, and fit into the plot exactly. The NPC's are well-implemented, and the nature of the game makes you feel as if the parser is not limiting conversation at all, only the world itself is.

I didn't really need a map for this game. It took a couple of hours to play. The game's biggest strength is its ability to put you in the shoes of someone completely different from you, to make you really feel like you are them.

I only wish the game had lasted a bit longer. But this may have made the puzzles less cohesive.

Brilliant Ab-Horror Gem, February 25, 2015
by Matt W (San Diego, CA)
Beautiful little narrative with a completely unconventional perspective. Other than the standard direction commands, look, and examine, there are almost no other "typical" IF verbs used in this game at all. But instead of being arcane or confusing, the game skillfully eases the reader into the protagonist's abilities, desires, and perspective through subtle emphasis and gated puzzles that don't feel at all like puzzles. The narrative can be played through in a little over an hour, but it's a great hour - spare, but evocative prose, a well realized setting, and a PC that's among the best I've played in any setting.

Hugs not Frotzes, May 4, 2014
Brilliant game. Excellent writing and plot. Easy puzzles facilitated by subtle hints in the descriptive text necessary to pace the underlying--and gripping--short-story (vs. brain-wracking puzzle solving that brings the plot to a halt). Excellent narrative reframe, and a delightful twist of the standard magic system canon. Only negative comment: it didn't last long enough due to the 2-hour time cap competition requirement.

If you enjoyed Coloratura...

People who like Coloratura also gave high ratings to these games:

False Mavis, by Ted Casaubon (as Litany Brisket)
An entry in ShuffleComp: Disc 2. Inspired by "Burning Rope" by Genesis and "Long Lankin" by Steeleye Span.

Metamorphoses, by Emily Short
You wake to stillness. The hammering, banging, and shouting that kept you awake half the night are gone. The air is cold, and something smells burnt. Your master's experiments must be finished, but with what result?

Oppositely Opal, by Buster Hudson
You've practiced long and hard for PotionComp, but Grusilda won't give up her title so easily. UGH! Curse that Grusilda! A one-room potion-brewing spell-casting parser puzzler, where things might go opposite the way you planned.

Coloratura appears in the following Recommended Lists:

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

Favorite "atmosphere" games by MathBrush
These are games that are fun because of the atmosphere and plot more than the puzzles. These games are not too hard and not too easy. They generally have a big over-arching theme. I have included most horror and comedy games in other...

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

The following polls include votes for Coloratura:

Sublime Moments by Sam Kabo Ashwell
I've been thinking about games that provide really brilliant moments. This is not about the overall quality of the game: there are plenty of excellent games that never deliver a clear, standout moment of unalloyed excellence. And surely...

Nautical IF by Felix Larsson
I know there was a couple of commercial high-sea text adventures. Now I am on the look-out for ‘modern’, post-commercial IF with a nautical theme. As far as I can tell, there is a definite shortage of bucaneers, boatswains, able seamen...

Top-notch horror or terror games by madducks
I'm looking for games that are the best representations of horror or terror in IF.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Matt W on 25 February 2015 at 5:30pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item