Coloratura

by Lynnea Glasser profile

Stolen away by apathetic Blind Ones, your only desire is to return to your Cellarium and the Song of the Universe. They should understand. You shall make them to understand.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
IFID: 98B2F638-F1F7-4FD9-93BB-56BC86FB2C07
TUID: g0fl99ovcrq2sqzk

1st Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Winner, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Winner, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Winner, Best Individual PC; Nominee, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Supplemental Materials - 2013 XYZZY Awards

6th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2015 edition)

A mid-length sci-fi game from an alien perspective, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: about 2 hours
Coloratura is one of the greatest sci-fi IF of all time. In this game, you play as a being utterly different from us that encounters a situation it has never experienced before.

The game has all of the usual commands, plus some new commands, the most interesting of which are color-based commands. Different colors signify different moods or ideas.

The puzzles are extremely rewarding, and fit into the plot exactly. The NPC's are well-implemented, and the nature of the game makes you feel as if the parser is not limiting conversation at all, only the world itself is.

I didn't really need a map for this game. It took a couple of hours to play. The game's biggest strength is its ability to put you in the shoes of someone completely different from you, to make you really feel like you are them.

I only wish the game had lasted a bit longer. But this may have made the puzzles less cohesive.

Brilliant Ab-Horror Gem, February 25, 2015
by Matt W (San Diego, CA)
Beautiful little narrative with a completely unconventional perspective. Other than the standard direction commands, look, and examine, there are almost no other "typical" IF verbs used in this game at all. But instead of being arcane or confusing, the game skillfully eases the reader into the protagonist's abilities, desires, and perspective through subtle emphasis and gated puzzles that don't feel at all like puzzles. The narrative can be played through in a little over an hour, but it's a great hour - spare, but evocative prose, a well realized setting, and a PC that's among the best I've played in any setting.

Hugs not Frotzes, May 4, 2014
Brilliant game. Excellent writing and plot. Easy puzzles facilitated by subtle hints in the descriptive text necessary to pace the underlying--and gripping--short-story (vs. brain-wracking puzzle solving that brings the plot to a halt). Excellent narrative reframe, and a delightful twist of the standard magic system canon. Only negative comment: it didn't last long enough due to the 2-hour time cap competition requirement.

If you enjoyed Coloratura...

People who like Coloratura also gave high ratings to these games:

Candlesmoke, by Caelyn Sandel and Carolyn VanEseltine
Entry in EctoComp 2014.

Vlad the Impala, by Pumpkin B. Parjeter
Years ago, the identity fraud began. Vlad the Impaler is a vampire. You are a hooved herbivore. You are the unfortunately named...Vlad the Impala. A Grand Guignol entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

Tentacles Growing Everywhere, by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky)
Puberty is weird and awkward, especially when you happen to be a tentacled space alien! In this incredibly queer mashup of Judy Blume, Babysitters Club, and pulpy sci-fi, join three childhood friends � Charlie, Jace, and Valentine �...

Coloratura appears in the following Recommended Lists:

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

Good games by Simon Deimel
This is a list of games that affected me. Their contents had a certain impact on me and kept my mind busy even some time after I had finished playing.

A starter pack for those new to interactive fiction by MathBrush
I had a list like this before which I deleted, but I noticed it had a lot of views on intfiction, so I thought I'd make a new one to help people out. It has 10 web-based games, 10 parser games for beginners and 10 parser games of medium...

The following polls include votes for Coloratura:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible puzzles of 2013 by Sam Kabo Ashwell
This poll is a place to suggest individual puzzles from games released in 2013, which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual Puzzle in the XYZZY Awards. Leave a brief, unspoilery-as-possible title for the puzzle in the...

Top-notch horror or terror games by madducks
I'm looking for games that are the best representations of horror or terror in IF.

Sublime Moments by Sam Kabo Ashwell
I've been thinking about games that provide really brilliant moments. This is not about the overall quality of the game: there are plenty of excellent games that never deliver a clear, standout moment of unalloyed excellence. And surely...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 8 February 2017 at 3:38pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item