Game on itch.io
Play online or download

Superluminal Vagrant Twin

by C.E.J. Pacian profile

A text-only space sim.

Ply the spaceways. Make five million credits. Buy back your twin.

(Superluminal Vagrant Twin is a shallow but broad exploration game.)

First Publication Date: March 26, 2016
TUID: 5xzoz5wimz4xxha

Winner, Best Game; Winner, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Use of Innovation - 2016 XYZZY Awards

Chris Klimas
What I especially liked, and I think distinguishes it from other, shorter Pacian games Iíve played (and would also recommend ó especially Castle of the Red Prince), is the sense of depth to the world. Where Red Prince feels allusive, SVT is expository. For example, there are some characters who exist only to point the player to other locations to visit, from a mechanical point of view. And yet, the few sentences theyíre given often give a sense not only of the politics and culture of the world, but also of the characters themselves. Itís pretty masterful to be able to do so much with so few words.

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
Meanwhile, Superluminal does as good a job as Iíve seen at a trade-and-exploration parser game, even including a little light grinding but without becoming too dull or frustrating.

The joy of discovery, April 10, 2016
by Sobol (Russia)
Currently the biggest, most complex and most polished game by the author, Superluminal Vagrant Twin is a space trading simulator - an old and noble genre including such classics as Elite, but tragically underrepresented in IF until now. There's a huge universe waiting for you to explore with lots of different planets to visit, people to meet, goods to buy and sell, side quests to complete.

You can rush through the main plot fairly quickly, but there are many other things to discover (even after getting all the achievements) - which I naturally won't spoil here. And, of course, rushing through this game would be completely missing the point, because the best part of it is not making the money but savoring the wonderful descriptions - terse and colorful, poetic without being pretentious; closing your eyes and trying to visualize all the various worlds you travel to (Spoiler - click to show) (there were 53 of them in the beta version I played).

My favorite character was the deep space explorer on Splinter. I instantly imagined Ursula K. Le Guin.

Space is the Place, March 30, 2016
First impressions are of a text-based Elite, but it's only a superficial resemblance. Sure, you're travelling from planet to planet buying and selling, but there is no economy to speak of, only fetch quests - which is perfectly fitting, given the text adventure format, fetch quests being the atomic unit of adventure game puzzles.

Money is used as a gating mechanism, your limited resources only granting access to a few planets and low-paid activities at first, you will need to use your ingenuity and wits to gain the big bucks - opening up more and more untold vistas for your delectation.

The writing is ultra-sparse but extremely evocative. A whole galaxy of strangeness. There is humour, creepiness, sadness, awe, sometimes all at once. It touches on themes of humanism and racism whilst delivering a rollicking science-fantasy adventure. Brilliant stuff. I recommend the hell out of this game.

Fast-paced space adventure, February 14, 2017
While there are obvious parallels to Space trading RPGs such as Sundog: Frozen Legacy and Elite, this game reminded me most of Captain Blood on the Atari ST. Which was a space adventure in which, like in this game, the focus is fly around the galaxy, talk to various aliens and that way discover new destinations while furthering the plot.

The trading part consists of speaking with characters and figuring out who will buy what. There is no time at which it is necessary to get an Excel sheet out to find where your cargo of pan-galactic pork bellies will sell for marginally more. I'm glad of that, as I don't have the patience for that anymore.

I enjoyed this game a lot, I was skeptical in the beginning but this works very well as an IF game: no need to eXamine everything - everything you need to know is in descriptions, or discovered by talking, no need to walk in compass directions - just tell your ship where to go. Though I normally enjoy longer descriptions, the short and business-like dialog fits with the atmosphere.

All in all this is a great game, I hope there will be a sequel.

If you enjoyed Superluminal Vagrant Twin...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Superluminal Vagrant Twin, or gave both high ratings:

Ruiness, by Porpentine Charity Heartscape

Snatches, by Gregory Weir

If You Go Down in the Woods Today..., by peter@gameenglish
This game is specifically designed for ESL classroom use.

Superluminal Vagrant Twin appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

A starter pack for those new to interactive fiction by MathBrush
I had a list like this before which I deleted, but I noticed it had a lot of views on intfiction, so I thought I'd make a new one to help people out. It has 10 web-based games, 10 parser games for beginners and 10 parser games of medium...

The following polls include votes for Superluminal Vagrant Twin:

Dynamic open world IFs by Natrium729
I'm looking for good "open world" IFs, that is, IFs where the player can just wander and explore the world without necessarily following the main plot (think Elder Scrolls). They could take place on a planet, in a city, or even just in a...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Games of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Settings of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 17 July 2017 at 12:06pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item