On Windows, double click on TextAdventure.​exe.
On Mac and Linux, you must give the executable permission to run:
chmod u+x TextAdventure
./TextAdventure
Linux executable
Linux Application
Mac executable
Mac OS X Application
Windows executable
Windows Application (Windows 7 and later)

Nightmare Adventure

by Laurence Emms and Vibha Laljani

A clock, a wizard and a delicious secret. Solve the riddle to restore life to a town that has all but disappeared.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: lwwyzzjwoj7r3m2w

75th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

Short, old-school text adventure with just a few puzzles, February 1, 2019
Nightmare Adventure is a short, old-school style text adventure written with a homebrew parser. The plot is that everyone else in your village has fallen into a magical sleep, and it's up to you to save them.

I found Nightmare Adventure to be weaker than the two other old-school text adventures (Flowers of Mysteria and Escape from Dinosaur Island) I played in IFComp 2018. It's much shorter, for one, with only three or so puzzles (depending on how you count them). The puzzles are also quite easy - with the exception of the last one, which is a bit more clever.

One player-friendly feature of Nightmare Adventure is that it tells you exactly which objects you can interact with. I appreciated not having to type a bunch of EXAMINE [scenery object] commands, wondering whether I'd missed something important.

I do wish Nightmare Adventure had been more fleshed-out. For instance, the last stage of the game was (for me) the most interesting part, with a setting just brimming with potential for creative story choices or puzzle design. But there's not actually much to do there. Also, the game felt to me like it ended a bit abruptly, even when I managed to win it.

I also think Nightmare Adventure could could have done more, puzzle-wise, to increase player engagement. Not that parser-based puzzle games can't be short and engaging at the same time; The Origin of Madame Time pulls this off, for instance. But a short parser game is under that much more impetus to make the puzzles clever in order to keep the player's attention and give them a sense of satisfaction once the game is over. (A long parser game can more easily pull this off with the sheer quantity of puzzles.)

A small game with a custom parser about magical dreams, January 6, 2019
Despite my low star rating,this game succeeds in (what I believe is) itís authorsí goal. It seems like their intent was to write a complete parser game from scratch that had an interesting storyline, and theyíve done so.

This game is pure fantasy, with mysterious ailments and amulets. Itís very short. The parser lacks almost all conveniences of modern parsers, such as standard actions and abbreviations and robust keyword detection.

The game is short, but has some puzzles I personally found enjoyable, as well as some nice dream/star imagery.

For the IF player used to playing Inform games, I would not recommend this. But as someone who has tinkered around with parser programming, I know how hard this was to make, so the authors did a good job.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 25 November 2018 at 6:15pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item