Out

by Viktor Sobol profile

Slice of life

It's a wonderful morning, and you're ready to come out.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: f99kibzl2391pe02

Verb Your Enthusiasm (audio)
"...fun, and cute, and funny, and uplifting - I really, really liked it..."
"It's never as easy as this, you know. I wonder if you could read this game as more of just like a coming out fantasy..." "I have sort of just enjoyed living in that imaginary moment - however unrealistic it is." "I don't think we're there yet." "Yeah, but it's fiction."

A charming little game that takes an idea and runs with out., October 7, 2019
This game meets my criteria for five stars:

Polish: I found no bugs, and everything ran smoothly. The game logic was sound.

Descriptiveness: I learned new things. I was intrigued by the game in ways that bled into real life.

Interactivity: This game explores parser space in a way that (Spoiler - click to show)Take, The North-North Passage, and Lime Ergot did. These games take the player-parser interaction and do 'variations on a theme' like composers.

Emotion: I felt a warm glow.

Play again: Sure!

Sobol's been reviewing games for at least 5 years, it's high time he post one of his own. This is a lovely game.

Examining the universe, October 11, 2019
by JimB
Related reviews: IF Comp 2019
This is a one-way exploration adventure through a world that the player can examine for a good amount of time. With the topic of the game being one of my greatest interests it had an easy time to entertain me.
With this additional topic knowledge it became a fun puzzle to examine all the non-obviously-described objects, although the game doesn't have any real puzzle that would block the player from actual game progression.

One of the few negative points I can come up with is that I couldn't find some objects that I expected to be implemented but weren't. Like (Spoiler - click to show)Saturn's rings (I expected them after finding Jupiter's Great Red Spot), small planets like Ceres and Vesta, because Makemake was in the game for some reason, and then there was no asteroid belt, Saturn's biggest moon Titan, and so on. You can spent some time with this little game to find and not find these objects. Most of these objects weren't mentioned by the game text in any way so I was happily surprised finding some of them, and was only shortly disappointed not finding them.

If you enjoyed Out...