The Addicott Manor

by Intudia

Horror, Suspense, Mystery

You thought the abandoned manor would be easy to rob. But you were dead wrong. Its many rooms and corridors are filled with evil. You need to be lucky to make it out alive!

The Addicott Manor is constructed around two goals which can also be integrated, if the reader so desires. - One goal is to uncover the intertwining mysteries of the manor, how it all came to be. - The other goal is to find as much jewelry as possible. There are a total of six items and only one way to get them all and come out alive! You will have to choose what motivates you the most; your curiosity, greed or to save your life.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: 7scar1wpj9u4kdio

62nd Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

Explore a haunted mansion in this choice-based thriller, January 7, 2019
I played The Addicott Manor on Halloween, and it was a perfect selection: a solo visit to a haunted mansion!

In terms of gameplay, The Addicott Manor is choice-based. The choices are given to you in list form after a piece of text. Then you have to click on the number that corresponds to your choice. With the interface that this game features I suppose this is the only way to do it, but it feels a little more immersive to me to click on my choice itself than on a number that corresponds to that choice.

The title page tells you that there are six treasures. I played through several times, but I never did better than escaping the house with two of the treasures. This is a game with a good bit of replay value.

Overall, The Addicott Manor worked for me in terms of creating that horror vibe of slowly exploring a sinister, ominous mansion. I could feel my pulse rising a little while I played. And I wanted to find the treasures: I kept playing and playing until I had achieved a small measure of success.

A few minor critiques: There is a lot of text at the beginning, which made it a bit hard for me to get into the game at first. Once I got into the mansion the ratio of text-to-choices worked better for me, though. There are a few too many grammar mistakes; more proofreading would have helped. Also, occasionally the game presents a choice to you that's actually unavailable. This may be a function of the program used to create the game, but it would have felt more immersive for the game to list only those actions that are actually available.

Fun fact: The PC drives a Ford Fiesta, making this one of three games in IFComp 2018 to feature a character who drives a Ford Fiesta.

A classic CYOA-style online game book about a haunted mansion, November 15, 2018
This IFComp 2018 game features a professional thief protagonist who is exploring an old, haunted mansion with the intent of finding treasure.

The style is unique to the company, Intudia, with numerical choices listed in the text and buttons with numbers on them lined up below.

The game itself has an intricate backstory, with the mansion having many levels and many ghosts and villains.

There are numerous problems, however. The text is overly long at times, with scattered grammatical errors (like 'to' instead of 'too). The numbers on the bottom are often in a strange pattern with one number far to the side of the others. Instead of tracking state, it seems as if the game relies on you to remember what actions you took in the past.

Still, the story is compelling, and a fun read for fans of horror.

If you enjoyed The Addicott Manor...