En Garde

by Jack Welch

Horror, Comedy

A man who has lost his mind.

A mouse who has lost his realm.

A dog who has lost his family.

And the scientist who will save the world.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
License: MIT
IFID: 9E3096B8-0368-4939-96EA-278AA2D12B5D
TUID: 7btsk9iqqku2t8g9

14th Place (tie) - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

Short, well-written gem, January 3, 2019
Some games start off strong but become less interesting the more you play. (Too much of the same thing, in many cases.) I had the opposite experience with En Garde; it got more and more interesting the more I played. Part of that is baked into the design of the game. You can't tell exactly what's happening at first, and you slowly learn what's really going on as you play.

In fact, I think En Garde does a very good job of capturing this experience. At first, you're just lumbering around, and you have a limited set of actions. But you don't know exactly what those are; they're represented by colored buttons. By experience you learn what clicking on each one does, and you have to remember.

(Warning: This is a major spoiler.) Then, (Spoiler - click to show)you eat a mouse's brains. Which is weird. You get access to the mouse's thoughts and begin to think in a mouse-y way. Then you find a dog, and you eat its brains. Which gives you a few more abilities, and now you have the mouse and the dog in your head. By this point you have nearly ten colored buttons to click for actions, but you still have to remember which button does what. I felt like I was an animal being trained in some experiment: Click the right button, and earn the right action (the reward) from the game.

Then you find a slice of brain that turns out to be human. At this point I'm thinking, "Am I a zombie?" Then eating the human brain slice gives you the words that go with the buttons, and the room descriptions improve. Now I'm thinking, "This game is World War Z meets Flowers for Algernon." And sure enough, that's exactly what it is!

I really enjoyed En Garde, but a couple of things stood out:

1. The PC's progression over the course of the game, especially (Spoiler - click to show)watching the room names and descriptions change.

2. The dialog between (Spoiler - click to show)the various consciousnesses going on in the PC's head.

The cover of En Garde is a parody of the cover of the old Infocom game A Mind Forever Voyaging; its title is a bilingual pun.

En Garde was the second fun, well-written Inform/Vorple gem by Jack Welch I played in IFComp 2018.

Funny story with clever interface, November 9, 2018
I enjoyed playing through this one. It is mostly story with only a very small amount of puzzle to it. I thought the interface was very clever (you basically play a parser-based game with a limited verb set by clicking on buttons, no keyboard needed), especially how it evolves over the course of the game. Most of the enjoyment comes from the dialogue that continues as you move around the map. There were a few moments I didn't like, such as (Spoiler - click to show) the info dump when you first meet the doctor and the way the game ends so abruptly (at least that's what it felt like to me) . Overall a fun game with a clever interface that only takes 30-45 minutes to play through, but nothing spectacular.

If you enjoyed En Garde...