Rameses

- VK, November 26, 2007

- anj tuesday, November 18, 2007

- AmberShards (The Gothic South), November 18, 2007

Well-executed, just not my thing, November 16, 2007
by Kake (London, England)
Related reviews: Stephen Bond, ***
This isn't really a game, and as the author says in the ABOUT, it isn't really a story either: "All I can call it is a Thing." There is very little interactivity; your agency basically consists of what order to look at things in, and your conversational choices make pretty much no difference to the story. There are reasons for this, particularly as regards the conversations, but I did find it a bit frustrating sometimes, as if I was being made to type meaningless strings of characters before being rewarded with the next section of story.

The writing and characterisation are both very good, and Rameses does seem to be very well-regarded, but it just didn't do it for me.

- Sami Preuninger (New York City), November 13, 2007

- protobob, November 8, 2007

- Nusco (Bologna, Italy), October 31, 2007

- Steve Evans (Hobart, Tasmania), October 28, 2007

- Emily Short, October 23, 2007

You're an unhappy teenager in an unpleasant Irish boarding school, remembering your happier younger days and putting up with the present as best you can. It's not very interactive, but it's an noninteractivity that serves the purposes of the story--the central character doesn't have the courage to speak honestly with others, so he hardly speaks at all, and the frustration the player feels mirrors the PC's frustrations. There are no puzzles, and the game essentially progresses whatever you do, but as a story and a characterization, it works extremely well.

-- Duncan Stevens