house.z5

Aunt Nancy's House

by Nate Schwartzman

Slice of life
1997

"This is an interactive tour of the author's aunt's soon-to-be former home." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-970906-E223
TUID: xpgl0yc8pxt7e81k

33rd Place - 3rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (1997)

You're wandering around your aunt's house. No plot, no puzzles, nothing to do besides manipulate some objects in obvious ways. A coding exercise, clearly, but not really a game. Skip.

-- Duncan Stevens

According to its author, "Aunt Nancy's House is actually based on my aunt's (soon-to-be-former) house, and was created as a way of teaching myself Inform. There are no puzzles, the idea is mainly to wander about in an interactive environment and have fun." Well, "wander" was certainly there, but "fun" wasn't, at least not for me. Basically ANH simulates an empty house. That's it. I have no doubt that creating this simulation was pretty exciting for the author, but without that connection to the subject material, other players are going to be bored.

ANH taught its author how to use Inform -- I look forward to when he applies that knowledge to the creation of a game.

An inform model of the house of the authors aunts. Puzzleless set piece., April 18, 2016
This game was a coding exercise designed to show the house of the author's aunt.

Many things are modelled, including a working TV and vcr combi, drinks and cups, an electric train. However, descriptions are sparse and the implementation is spotty.

The best part of this game is the melancholy feel. Nothing tells you how you should feel, but the sadness and nostalgia is palpable.

Aunt Nancy's House on IFDB

Aunt Nancy's House appears in the following Recommended Lists:

"My apartment" games by MathBrush
It's a trope in interactive fiction that first time author's tend to model their own home or apartment in detail as an experiment in programming. To see if this trope is true, I've created a list of 'my apartment' games. Because in most...

The following polls include votes for Aunt Nancy's House:

Sandbox games by JonathanCR
There are two competing philosophies in game design (in games in general, not just text games). One is the story: tell a story in which the player is the protagonist. Games of this kind have strong plotting but they can often seem to...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Paul O'Brian on 13 May 2008 at 3:27pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item