De Baron

- verityvirtue (London), April 22, 2016

- ToALonelyPeace, April 1, 2016

- E. W. B., February 23, 2016

A short, dark philosophical fantasy game (updated), February 7, 2016
I knew what De Baron was like before I tried it, so its my own fault, but this game made me feel bad and uncomfortable. Many people equate this with greatness, which explains why books like The Kiterunner are so popular. But in both this game and the Kiterunner, I feel the author is simply going for shock value.

This game centers around a man in search of his daughter, who is held captive by an evil Baron. In travelling to the baron, you meet a linear succession of creatures and characters, with some exploration required. Everything is vastly symbolic, and includes long, philosophical conversations.

The baron has dark intentions for your daughter, and you yourself have some issues to work out.

I played this game, so I can't tell others not to; but I can say that I think that you can get your fix of philosophy and deepness in better ways.

Note that the author and others have provided an alternative viewpoint in the comments.

- KingofSushi, January 16, 2016

- Khalisar (Italy), July 24, 2015

- Julia Myer (USA), July 8, 2015

- thebloopatroopa, May 28, 2015

- Robot Marvin, May 6, 2015

What I expected from The Baron wasn't what I got. In his introductory text, Gijsbers does a good job of preparing the player. Actions should be taken because they're meaningful in the situation, not because they "solve a puzzle". My first reaction was "sure - I've heard this before." [...] So, even though the author warned me that it wasn't a game, I tried to play it like a game. I expected something dark and sinister. I expected torture, helplessness, suffering, and perhaps victory in the end. The story delivers these things, but in an unconventional way... in a disturbing, shocking, and tragic way.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment