Competition version.
Download files
Index of files to download, including images.

To The Wolves

by Els White

Offered up as sacrifice to the wolf-gods of the forest, hunted by beasts and man alike, Ella must find a way to survive.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
IFID: 1EA70686-95DC-4D4E-AE29-C6407A8E9DA5
TUID: u3b230h3ye2wfzdv

11th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
Ultimately, there's little to fault. The story is compact, with intricately, tightly woven threads. The ending feels a little more open-ended than one would expect, but it serves its purpose.

Trope diversion, but a sweet one, although flawed., January 6, 2017
by Ruber Eaglenest
Related reviews: IF Comp 2016
Disclaimer: (Spoiler - click to show)Hi, this are the reviews I did in the the IFComp 2016. Iím Ruber Eaglenest. Co-author of The skyscraper and the scar, and entry of that year. The review is posted without edition, and need some context about how I reviewed and rated the games. So, apart of my bad English I hope to be constructive. I will point to the things I don't like of the game, but I hope to be helpful. The structure I follow is this: Title, one line review, two to five word; Mobile friendliness, overall, score phrased based on IF comp guidelines. I had back ache and so thatís why I played most games in Android mobile, I looked closely at how games behave on mobile and review and vote based on that.

Mobile friendly. Not too much, but playable. Save system, but no autosave.

Overall: The game grow on me. Half world modelling, half hypertext, with ellipsis and such. But in the end is not consistent enough, and has lacking for it.

The start of the game and the first chapter are more consistent, the last chapters and ending could benefit of a better structure and developing. I found some actions to be problematic against my motivations as a player. I think the game could benefit a lot from an editor or a confiable tester who could said what works and what not works in the game. And then rewrite. But for a future work. Whatís done itís done.

I like the trying to make a consistent world in twine, but the authors has done some loops, and those loops are not variable enough. Take the example when you arrive at the cottage. The scene describes you arriving, but if you enter, and go out, the scene is describe again as if you were arriving for the first time. That is a huge problem for me, it just breaks the immersion.

Some scenes are rushed and make a poor work on building the narrative of surviving day to day on the forest. For example, in day two where you must take care of feeding yourself, you go out, get some food, and when you return, the day is over and you go to sleep. Too rushed.
This repeats in later chapters, overall, all the plot feels a little rushed, I would like a more modelled implementation of the forest, more tangible and less abstract. Definitively this game would benefit of being a parser one. So I could enjoy, explore and know the environment as my home. But in the end that sensation was only in the very first chapter.

Thereís a growing relationship with the wolves in the game, but again, it is rushed, there is no room for really building that relationship with the mother wolf, so it is not succeed in that either. This is not like in Princess Mononoke where all the implicit existence together is evident, or like the relationship in Dancing with wolves or just the play with the fox in A change in the weather. So in the end the game doesnít nails the story, topic and setting.

However I liked the writing and tone. I think the author is someone to look for in the future.

Score: Recommended with reservations

A girl who escapes to the forest and the wolves, December 19, 2016
The story actually branches a fair bit, though some branches are much harder to find, and there's a lot of scope in different things you can try, as some of the achievements show. I played several times to try different options & didn't encounter any missing paragraphs or errors on my playthroughs...

I found the story quite tight, with every event contributing to the greater storyline; and there are a number of ways the finale can play out.

9/10ths of a good game., October 26, 2016
by Owlor (Sweden)
The version I played was unfortunately broken, with a passage just plain missing. This is very unfortunate as I quite enjoyed it up to that point. There's some great fantasy wwriting in this, it just needed another pass to iron out the kinks.

If you enjoyed To The Wolves...

People who like To The Wolves also gave high ratings to these games:

Kinsale Horror, by Arek Arktos
Become a hitchhiker for a day. See what I saw. After many days hitchhiking you reach your destination - Kinsale, gourmet capital of Ireland. You're exhausted, hungry and in dire need of a shower. Your host is nowhere to be found,...

The Dead: A Story, by John Leo
"You have been dead for 17 days." In this work of gothic horror, you awaken in your coffin. Your goals are simple. Uncover the mystery of your untimely death, follow the rules as dictated by the Bone Fathers, and ultimately return home.

Psychomanteum, by Hanon Ondricek
Every year your friend hosts a Halloween party where guests are expected to complete three dares. This is the third. A Grand Guignol entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 3:51pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item