Story file

Fifteen Minutes

by Ade McT profile

You're in a tight spot.

You have fifteen minutes before the Principal expels you from the cosy world of academia and into the cold harsh reality of the real world. You really should do something about it.

A time-travelling tale of paradox management.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
IFID: 8E02C3C3-A90C-4122-B06B-ABD93A992C58
TUID: nz6t2gj4yy8jbnr8

Winner, Best Individual Puzzle - 2014 XYZZY Awards

6th Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

Great Brain Teaser, January 20, 2015
by Yaro
I'd been trying to complete Fifteen Minutes for a week until I finally beat it. Quite frankly, that was really rewarding experience!
It proposes a nice challenge if you are into puzzles, sci-fi, enclosed spaces, and a little bit of math.
My advice for future players: don't consult the walk-through and have fun with Monotrichonomomometer!

Intricate and difficult one-room time-travel puzzle, February 3, 2016
If crazy time-travel puzzles and avoiding paradoxes are your cup of tea, then this is the game for you. You must use a time machine to do your homework, but this requires 8 or more copies of yourself.

The initial part of the game is very fun. Trying to figure out how the machine works is great; trying to figure out how to avoid a paradox is fun, in fact the whole first half is fun!

But by the time you get to the last two or three copies, it just gets very overwhelming. It's so hard to keep track of everything, and the very last 'you' is hard to figure out.

Some people may find the idea of such a complicated game very enticing; so for puzzle fiends out there, this is the game for you. For everyone else, you should at least try it until you've time traveled once or twice.

Lots of fun!, January 20, 2016
Excellent game! As others have said, it's well worth challenging yourself to complete it without the walkthrough. Word of advice, though - do NOT save after answering any questions UNTIL you've been given the okay by the principal!! Needless repetitive hell when you realize you've messed that up. (Otherwise, proud to say I finished in a matter of hours, though I did have to check the walkthrough after somehow failing to examine the rope :P)

As someone else said, the clock tick is really inconsistent, so undo is your best friend here. Above all, it's not as hard as it seems, so long as you keep notes on the offset from current time for each version of yourself.

If you enjoyed Fifteen Minutes...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Fifteen Minutes, or gave both high ratings:

Möbius, by J.D. Clemens
Another mission. Just when you had settled in for a nap.

Shade, by Andrew Plotkin
"A one-room game set in your apartment." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

The King of Shreds and Patches, by Jimmy Maher
January 14th Dear friend. My sojourn in parts foreign is at an ende. I am at lodgings in Southwark not far from the bridge at Stoney Street, come dine with me two days hence to ring in the newe year. I have not enjoyed amiable English...

Fifteen Minutes appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Time travel games by MathBrush
These are games where the main puzzles are centered on time travel. I'm splitting this off from my science fiction list. Many games include one or two time travel puzzles, such as Spellbreaker or Curses!. But this list is for games whose...

The following polls include votes for Fifteen Minutes:

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

Games centered around a "groundhog day" loop by Merk
Two that come to mind, which I haven't played in years and may be remembering wrong, are Moebius and All Things Devours. Games with fail states, by their nature, fit the bill from a mechanical level, but I'm curious about games where...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by CMG on 17 November 2015 at 2:57pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item