Faithful Companion, version 2
Post-comp New Year's Eve release.
EctoComp 2013 compressed file
Contains Faithful Companion.zblorb
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Ectocomp Version 1

Faithful Companion

by Matt Weiner profile

The "Play On-line" link should now go to version 2!

First Publication Date: October 31, 2013
IFID: 12ECADA4-BE42-462F-8BD3-48FF623BEC6E
TUID: lyzt6jpjzbt87xr

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

Entrant - 7th Annual New Year's Minicomp

4th Place - Ectocomp 2013

News

Expand all | Add a news item

A short puzzle game about a ghost that mimics your actions, February 3, 2016
In this short ectocomop game, you are trying to enter a tomb and lay a spirit to rest. However, the spirit copies everything you do, performing your actions two turns later.

This causes a lot of trouble, as the puzzles include latches that you can push open and push close, so he pushes stuff closed as you push it open.

I had fun with this. However, out of the three puzzles, I twice thought I had the right solution and failed; both times, it was because I didn't realize that the ghost goes first in simultaneous actions.

There are just 3 puzzles. Fun for puzzle fans.

Annoying puzzle game., January 4, 2015
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
I know this was meant as a puzzle, but to me having to outsmart the ghost who follows you was just annoying. The puzzles weren't overly hard, just frustrating, especially at the beginning.

But besides that, the lack of any real backstory made me dislike this game.

Overall, it isn't horrible, but I don't like puzzles for the sake of puzzles. There has to be more to the story rather than a restless ghost who is now terrorizing the cemetery because of looters. Maybe the deceased was a dear friend. Perhaps the ghost gives the player snippets of his memories of the looters, or even his previous life. There is so much more storywise that could've been added.

Others will like it, but even after completing it I'm not a fan.

Interesting interaction mechanics, December 3, 2013
This short, fast game has interesting interaction mechanics, and provides a fun short play-through.

If you enjoyed Faithful Companion...

People who like Faithful Companion also gave high ratings to these games:

Six, by Wade Clarke
Your name is Harriet Leitner, and you and your twin sister Demi turned six this morning! You're having a fancy dress birthday party, and this afternoon you'll be playing Hide and Seek Tip over in the park. You can't wait to catch all...

Lime Ergot, by Caleb Wilson (as Rust Blight)
Now everyone is gone. (Well, almost everyone.) Entry in ECTOCOMP 2014.

The Wheels Must Turn, by Heal Butcher
"The city was one of many Cities, and like its brethren, it had Corners, and in each Corner there were gilded cages that contained the Miseries of the World." Second-place winner of the Official ADRIFT Spring MiniComp 2001.

Faithful Companion appears in the following Recommended Lists:

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

The following polls include votes for Faithful Companion:

Games with "logical" puzzles by Victor Gijsbers
Some puzzles--like chess problems or sudokus--can be difficult even though you know all the rules. I'm looking for IF games with this kind of puzzle: you can get to know the rules by simple exploration, and then you still have to solve...

Fun Halloween Games! by bluevelvetwings
There are already polls for good horror games, and there are quite a few good ones on this site. But I'm looking for ones that fit the side of "spooky" but not "terrifying" - things that make you giggle nervously at the scares, but don't...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Marius Müller on 6 January 2014 at 4:38pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item