Story file
Haere Mai! magazine cover feelie
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.
glkote.css
GlkOte stylesheet for Quixe/​I7 template.

Aotearoa

by Matt Wigdahl profile

2010

The Fish of Māui. The Land of the Long Cloud. Aotearoa. An entire continent of untamed wilds, and the last place on Earth where dinosaurs still roam. If only you'd come ashore under better circumstances...

First Publication Date: October 1, 2010
IFID: 518CB2D4-2A75-4E9B-A8BA-427264BDDBC4
TUID: lrbpmlpsknsgvgem

1st Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Awards - 16th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2010)

Winner, Best Game; Winner, Best Setting; Winner, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best NPCs; Winner, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Winner, Best Implementation; Winner, Best Use of Innovation - 2010 XYZZY Awards

34th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

Highly polished children's game, February 15, 2011
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
Aotearoa is a children's game. (I suppose that everything for children of 6 years and older is called "young adult" by now, but as far as I'm concerned a young adult is approximately 20.) It tells the story of Tim, who has been chosen to visit a New Zealand that never was: it is a small continent where the Maori managed to more or less stop the English invaders by riding dinosaurs. O, yes. Dinosaurs. Not huge dinosaurs, but still, even a medium-sized dinosaur is fun.

After an opening scene that could use some tightening, Tim's trip suddenly turns into an even more exciting adventure. We're squarely into adventure stories territory, with Tim exploring a forest full of dinosaurs, befriending the local wildlife, and getting shot at by poachers to boot. All of which is good fun. The puzzles are fine, if perhaps at times a little too difficult for the younger part of the audience. The animals you will meet are very well implemented, with the right combination of being a real animal and being cute, and (as every reviewer has pointed out) you can name them. Every small male dinosaur ought to be called Henk. Believe me.

There is other good stuff as well, such as the keyword interface of Blue Lacuna, lists of conversation topics, and exits listed in the status bar. At times the author may have relied on these a bit too much: exits are badly described in the text, and nouns that are not highlighted are almost invariably not understood. But all in all Aotearoa gives a very smooth experience.

My biggest gripe is that unlike some other children's stories, this one doesn't have much to offer to adults. It's just a simplistic adventure story with dinosaurs, and the references to Maori culture, though intriguing, feel tacked on and fail to give any real depth. This isn't a huge problem, but it limits the appeal of the game.

There has been some discussion about whether the game is (inadvertently) propagating racial stereotypes. These discussions are always sensitive, and I'm not particularly eager to take up a position in them. I just want to state for the record that to me nothing in this game felt inappropriate. (Also: the game has the Maori defeating the English by cultivating a relationship with dinosaurs, and states that the fictional New Zealand conservation policies have been an inspiration to the entire world. So any white-boy-saves-the-natives plot seems to be balanced by a Maori-kick-ass-and-teach-the-world-about-environmentalism backstory.)

The Famous Fi-... er... ok, the Famous Two., October 28, 2010
by Peter Pears (Lisbon, Portugal)
It's interesting when IF can really capture the essence of a certain style, a certain story. I've seen "genre writing" scoffed at, but it is one of the three great things at which IF can truly excel (the other two being alternative, experimental, weird stuff and good old-fashioned puzzle solving). And I'd say that Aotearoa does a very good job of playing like a Famous Five book would read, if you cut out three of the children. And if you add a rather mystical dimension which, quite frankly, I wouldn't at all mind sharing with my children, if I had any.

But first, let me talk about the polish. Oh, it is polished. Superbly polished. It's not just that I couldn't find any bugs, I also found tons of little ways to help the player along. There's a radio that keeps you in contact with the other major NPC, making conversations that much easier; there's comprehensive replies for pretty much everything you care to try; there's even multiple ways to solve a puzzle, and they all make sense. There's a way to name some NPCs Beyond-Zork style, which is not only a neat trick and saves typing, but actually makes it all feel more personal. There's credible reactions from NPCs to your actions. There's even an NPC that imitates you almost all the time, or is otherwise engaged in some activity.

Polish. Detail. The game has them, and comes alive through them. Because all of a sudden I'm seriously thinking about the puzzles, seriously manipulating objects, seriously trying stuff out - because the game has been fair to me, and has been giving me information as I asked it, and has added little details here and there (like the "glory") which just make me glad I'm exploring.

I mentioned puzzles. In fairness, they're not all that hard, and they're not meant to be. This is "introductory level" IF by the author's own admission. Well, for intro-level, I found it quite satisfying. The answers were never staring-you-in-the-face obvious, though they weren't hard to spot either. A fine balance which I would, indeed, recommend to new players. There's also a various assortment of puzzles, not just USE X ON Y. Although the game is rather small, it permeates of care, detail, and creativity (as in, it does a lot with the little it allows itself to have).

The storyline feels very much like one of those Famous Five books (in Portugal, I'd have said "Feels like an 'Uma Aventura' book"). Young kid against the evil poachers. Sure, it feels clichèd and done to death, but then, if you sum it up in a single line, what doesn't? It's not the concept, it's what you do with it. And the author runs with the concept as far as it goes, giving us exactly the right sort of excitement, surprises and exploration that you'd expect. And he does it with real fine pacing, which is another unsung hero. The game unfolds piece by piece at a relaxed pace, never letting you get bored.

And there's the mystical element. It's soft, though not all that subtle. It brings across all the right elements of a good tale told around the campfire, the sort of tale to make you feel good about all the little gifts Life gives you every day. It's an extra dimension that makes all the difference, enhances the experience considerably.

It's my pleasure to rate this game 5/5. Technically, it certainly deserves it. Artistically, it might not be groundbreaking, but not everything needs to be groundbreaking. It's a story that made me feel good, told in a good way. It also captured the feel of a type of book I haven't read in a long, long time, and although I'm not going back to Enid Blyton any time soon, I was so very glad of the trip.

This is, in fact, the sort of game I'd like my children to play. It's *that* friendly, and the message is *that* important.

Bravo, Mr. Wigdahl.

My new go-to game for inducting new players., November 21, 2010
by rach
Related reviews: if comp 2010
Aotearoa is a great game, extremely solid, though not enough of a mystery for me, a little too childish/educational. It clearly hit all the targets it was trying to, a great romp in a solid setting with a few extras (Spoiler - click to show)such as naming of animals. I thoroughly enjoyed how actionous the game was, lots of physical things to do, lots of energy and urgency. As it is, I've docked a point for it not being challenging/mysterious enough, and for some suspension of disbelief problems with the NPC(Spoiler - click to show) Eruera. Is he really happily telling stories whilst lying on the beach with a broken leg awaiting aggressive poachers? Those folklore bits might have been better in cutscenes as it messed with the urgency in places and thus the pacing somewhat.

There is an optional in-game tutorial mode which includes guidance about what commands to try and highlighting of keywords. I think we need some good beginner games, and the helpful nudges don't intrude on the awesomeness of the game itself, that is, it doesn't feel like a tutorial game, just a game with a handy guide in it. It also has a more forgiving and helpful parser than standard and so is going to be the game I recommend to people who want to start playing IF.

I've just learned how to spell it, still don't know how to pronounce it. I'm sure the blorb would stretch to a sound file :o)

Very tight, polished, obviously well-loved, gentle, warm, actionous, DINOSAURS.

[This review is for the competition release, IF comp 2010.]

If you enjoyed Aotearoa...