temple.z5

The Temple

by Johan Berntsson

Lovecraftian
2002

You play as someone plagued by nightmares of falling, but in tonight's nightmare, you've somehow landed in in a strange alien city. With the time-lost Charles Bristow, you'll uncover the city's dark secrets, see unspeakable monsters, and learn of an evil ritual in the city's temple that must be stopped at all costs.

Baf's Guide ID: 1933
IFIDs:  ZCODE-1-020925-A216
ZCODE-2-021118-CA34
TUID: kq9qgjkf2k6xn1c0

Nominee, Best Individual NPC - 2002 XYZZY Awards

9th Place - 8th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2002)

So now that I've railed on the game for being unoriginal and unpolished, let me take a moment to point out something I really liked about it. Early on in the action, you acquire a sort of "sidekick" NPC, who follows you through most of the story, and who himself becomes the crux of an optional puzzle... [H]e and the PC really function as a team in several instances. I'm writing a series of games that ostensibly feature a PC/NPC team, but thus far I've copped into having the PC do most of the work while the NPC has some excuse for being out of the action. I thought The Temple was an excellent example of how to really create interdependent action between a PC and an NPC, and it got me excited about the challenge of doing so in my next game. For that alone, it repaid the time I gave to it.

A Lovecraftian puzzlefest of medium length. Explore alien city, February 3, 2016
This is the kind of game that I enjoy much more than most people would, as I am a big fan of Lovecraftian horror and of atmospheric puzzlefests.

This mid-length game has a bit of a bottleneck opening, followed by a non-linear map area. It's more of an old-school feel, with some actions that are not really fair but not too bad. Two or three of the puzzles are solved by returning to an old area.

You have a recurring nightmare, and this time you can't get out. You explore an abandoned city that is a mix of R'lyeh and of the fortress in Enchanter by Infocom. Ancient writing, mystical texts, haunting memories from a half-forgotten past, violent cultists, gibbering horrors, this hits up a lot of the best parts of Lovecraft.

The NPCs are a bit weak, as you can't talk about much.

If you enjoyed The Temple...

People who like The Temple also gave high ratings to these games:

The Light: Shelby's Addendum, by Colm McCarthy
You play as Maurice L. Shelby, a laboratory apprentice employed by Commission Research Station 12B. The station is rather important: it houses one of several beacons placed around the world that generate the dimensional field that...

Lyreless, by Bruno Dias
A man heads into hell to seek out his lost lover; there he has to decide how much of himself to leave behind.

Invasion, by Cat Manning
The end of the world, and there's something after you. A short horror Twine about sacrifice, survival, and relative humanity. Le Grand Guignol entry in ECTOCOMP 2015.

The Temple appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for August 2018 by David Welbourn
On Thursday, August 30, 2018, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

My top 10 games by Quintin Stone

A timeline of Lovecraftian horror by MathBrush
Lovecraftian games are oddly overrepresented in IF, both among IF in general, and among great IF games. They seem to be a good fit for the exploratory form of parser IF. Most of these games hit up all of the big-ticket Lovecraft items:...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 30 August 2018 at 10:27pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item