Fish!

by John Molloy, Pete Kemp, Phil South, and Rob Steggles

Espionage/Humor
1988

One nibble and you're hooked.

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GET OUT OF THE WATER:

The tide is turning in the teeming metropolis of Fishworld. The oceans and seas are boiling off into space. The Seven Deadly Fins - an interdimensional group of anarchists - are on the loose. The project has been sabotaged... And you're a goldfish.

Tough. But then life's like that. Sometimes you're dealt a real deal. Toast falls buttered-side down. Phones ring when you're in the bath. And there's always chili sauce on your kebab.

From rain-soaked forests and London recording studios to the farthest reaches of time and space, Fish! will bemuse, dazzle and thrill you before confusing, razzling and killing you.

Fish! is brought to you by Magnetic Scrolls, authors of such classic award-winning adventures as The Pawn and The Guild of Thieves. It's full of what you're least expecting, lacking in all that's rational, and devoid of much that could reasonably be expected... So, dust down your tackle, dress up your flies, reel in a winner and play Fish!

License: Commercial
IFID: MAGNETIC-5
TUID: g9g79441phtamdfi

Crash

"As in previous Magnetic Scrolls disk-based adventures (Jinxter, Corruption etc), the flexible parser accepts most logical input and permits editing of the current and last command. It also allows up to about ten separate commands to be entered in one line of input. The frequent disk accessing fails to severely interrupt play, although the occasional need to enter anti-piracy passwords is slightly annoying. The lack of any graphics is irrelevant - they would have only required more time - consuming disk accessing and taken up screen space.

With the large vocabulary, problems require much lateral thinking instead of simple word finding. All objects can be examined, often producing a witty response - the fishofax is described as combining the features of a diary and a wallet for four or five times the price!"

"The puzzles are very clever and logical and the text is very 'Magnetic Scrollsish' and makes for a great read.

The parser is probably the best of all the Magnetic Scrolls games and is as good, if not better than the Infocom parsers."
-- Yuzo Takada

The Magnetic Scrolls Collection
"I managed to make it to the very end sequence, just to find that I didn't have enough time (each move costs you a few minutes) to do what was required of me. Painful."
-- The Magnificent Linnard

"Much of the text - in common with other Magnetic Scrolls adventures - is amusing, but I felt this was rather overdone and the humour loses its impact when it's laid on with a trowel. It's not quite as "over the top" as in Jinxter though. As you might expect, no chance is missed to refer to fish in some way, from the fishton in your sparsely furnished apartment and your Fisa card for instant credit to the names of different types of fish. [...]

Well, if you're a keen adventurer you'll buy it anyway and I think that, on the whole, you'll enjoy the fishy goings on. I'm left with the feeling, though, that by now Mag Scrolls have milked dry their characteristic jokey style and it would be very interesting to see what they could come up with if they approached a topic in a rather more serious vein."
-- Neil Shipman

Magnetic Scrolls Collection
"Before you can enter the main game, you'll have to sort out three small scenarios but despite their small size, they're no pushover to solve. The whole game, and especially the main part, is full of fishy puns, especially when you take a trip on the fish world's underground system. [...]

When originally produced, all three games were well-received and gained good ratings in the glossies. I liked 'em too, especially Fish [...]"
-- Sue

One of the greatest ever, May 18, 2014
by ethnicolor ("Kilkenny, Ireland")
I"m playing text adventures for almost 30 years, and when I think "adventures" (OK, OK... "I. F." God...) Fish! is number one on my list. I've played and played and played this game over and over, and I still enjoy it on OSX all these years later.

Magnetic Scrolls really managed to capture the mood of the mid/late 1980s and their games are just a joy to read and play again and again.

If you enjoyed Fish!...

People who like Fish! also gave high ratings to these games:

Blue Lacuna, by Aaron A. Reed
You have always been different. One in a trillion have your gift, your curse: to move between worlds, never settling, always alone. To Wayfare. Yet there are others like you, and something stronger than coincidence binds you together,...

The Pawn, by Rob Steggles, Peter Kemp, Hugh Steers, Ken Gordon, and Geoff Quilley
The Pawn is an adventure game set in the magical world of Kerovnia during a period of tremendous social upheaval. Recently, King Erik, the present ruler of the land, has started to lose his hold on the Kerovnian peoples and can no longer...

Child's Play, by Stephen Granade
It is playgroup day and playgroup day is normally a good day but ever since that little red-haired girl started coming she always wants your toys. She shouldn't get your toys. You tried telling the mom this but she doesn't understand...

Fish! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games by Gaal24
my favorite games

The following polls include votes for Fish!:

Games with graphics and/or sound by eyesack
I couldn't find an easy way to search for this, so I figured I'd ask the hivemind: What games use graphics and/or sound to enhance the gameplay, similar to City of Secrets and Necrotic Drift?

Give me a second chance! by verityvirtue
I'm looking for games which work like Bigger Than You Think - where dying isn't the end, where you're given second chances, where your second chances give you gear or skills or knowledge that you need to know to win the game.

Non-Infocom games of commercial era worth playing by tekket
What commercial games published between 1980-1993 other than those by Infocom do you think are worth playing?

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 16 June 2013 at 3:05am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item