Story file
The latest version of the game, playable on a standard TADS 3 interpreter.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
Story file for online play
The latest version of the game, compiled with WebUI. To play online, please click the Play Online button above.
Play on the Internet with a browser, or download for use with a TADS Web UI-compatible interpreter - visit www.tads.org for interpreter downloads.
Source code
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

It

by Emily Boegheim profile

Slice of life
2011

"The rules of the game are easy. I'm It, so I go and hide. You and the others count to 50, then you have to look for me. If you find me, you have to get into the hiding spot with me. If you're the last person still looking for me, then you lose. Got it?"

(You can play online by clicking the Play Online button in the top right-hand corner of the page, or download the latest version of "it.t3" to play offline. Please note that versions of It from 2.0 onwards require a recent TADS interpreter, and not all interpreters are up to date at the moment. Gargoyle will not currently run the game, as its TADS interpreter is too old. I recommend using QTads instead.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: 35EBA4CB-D2A3-6097-2240-F088C8AEDE85
TUID: clox1mlffo37xf2z

16th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

News

Version 2.2 released April 6, 2014
Version 2.0 released February 13, 2013
Expand all | Add a news item

Paean to Wanderings
[...] it's a good piece, but I found myself wanting something richer and more involved.

Not just fun and games, February 27, 2013
by Edward Lacey (Oxford, England)
Emily Boegheim's It explores the social dynamics among four girls (one of them the protagonist) engaged in a children's game like hide-and-seek. My first impressions were good, largely because the hiding game itself is well implemented. Room descriptions make spatial relations clear and have an appropriate focus on potential hiding places. SEARCH and LOOK IN/UNDER/BEHIND seem to be treated as synonyms, avoiding guess-the-verb problems. The other girls are realistically visible from a distance, and react to the protagonist's actions.

After the first playthrough (which doesn't take long), it's clear that the hiding game really isn't fair (at least not if you play by the rules), and that the characters have a personal and emotional stake in the outcome. Replaying several times is expected, and It is polished enough to make that enjoyable. NPC actions are not randomised or especially complicated, so with knowledge from replays, engineering a desired outcome isn't too difficult. It's also possible to disregard the hiding game, and some of the most memorable endings can be found this way.

It feels genuinely interactive in that the player can try nearly any plausible action, and more often than not be rewarded with a novel outcome or further insight into the characters and their relationships. In my case, the result was that I ended up trying to find as many endings as possible still treating It as a game even when not trying to win the internal hiding game. Someone less concerned with exhausting the available possibilities might be satisfied by finding a single appropriate response to the unfair situation that It portrays. On either approach, It ought to be rewarding.

A short, many-ending hide and seek game with class warfare, February 3, 2016
In this game, you play a girl playing hide and seek at a party. The party is at Emma's house, and Emma's mom is the employer of your mom and some other people's mom. Emma is well-dressed and you other three are not. There is a poorer red haired girl you don't know, and Emma's croney Yvonne.

The game ends very quickly, but you can find a lot of endings. I found at least 5 or 6. The most satisfying ending to me ignores Emma and finds you a new friend.

The programming and NPCs are quite well done. It's a fun little take on girl's social structures.

If you enjoyed It...

People who like It also gave high ratings to these games:

Trapped in Time, by Simon Christiansen
A Science Fiction adventure where YOU are the hero!

Down, the Serpent and the Sun, by Chandler Groover
The feathered serpent coils before you, greater than any god or any monster. Maimed warriors are crushed beneath its claws. The sun will never rise again.

A Brief Introduction To This Game, by Jacques Frechet
A prize-winning entry in the First Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction.

It appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great games in a mostly realistic setting by MathBrush
These are games that for the most part don't contain magical elements or futuristic technology. This includes games where there might be magic or futuristic technology, but you don't know until the end. So several of these games do...

The following polls include votes for It:

Games that show everyday life by Sam Jackson
I'm looking for preferably short games that focus on part of someone's life in our world and preferably our time. I would like games with an emotional focus.

Australian Setting or Characters by Tigrita
I've played several good games with Aussie characters or setting, and I was wondering if there are any others. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the game, just a little extra colour.

The most underrated game you've authored by A. Johanna DeNiro
Interpret "under-rated" however that means to you. Perhaps it's one that's simply not played very much for whatever reason. Or it's a game you consider flawed but still worth playing, or an early effort that you are fond of.

This is version 11 of this page, edited by Emily Boegheim on 31 May 2016 at 9:45am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item