ADRIFT remastering
2015 remastering of the original Spectrum game
Requires an ADRIFT version 5 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.
Exe version
Windows Application (Windows XP and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Spectrum version walkthrough
This is the walkthrough for the original spectrum game

The Axe of Kolt

by Larry Horsfield

Episode 1 of The Adventures of Alaric Blackmoon
1990

License: Commercial (Out of Print)
Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: 5273B53B4A2B26ECACF44F4344E6042C
TUID: ci6lsqnrll5qd44s

Crash

"The imagination and thought thatís gone into the puzzles makes the game enjoyably frustrating ó if you know what I mean. Youíll need lateral thinking by the bucketful. Even objects you may think have served their use may be needed for a completely different purpose later on. Axe of Kolt is a little gem ó the best adventure Iíve played this year."

Your Sinclair

"From the start I made a couple of moves and with the experience of years of adventuring behind me immediately found myself outside the Dragonslayer's Arms. The bad news was that it was shut, so I wandered off again, found myself a clapper without a bell and returned to the pub just in time to give the landlord a helping hand. This earned me a bed for the night, a meal and all the ale I could sup. This is the life!"

Long and enjoyable old-school game, May 17, 2015
The "Axe of Kolt" is a legendary axe that you must recover and give to King Kelson, who has been captured by the evil Xixons ; a standard fantasy setting, played straight and nicely. This ADRIFT version is a remastering of the original ZX Spectrum game which came out in the early 90s; it is not exactly the same game, with some puzzles having been reworked or streamlined, and I think also adapted to modern sensitivities i.e. nicer to the player (which is good!). The game is Polite (or maybe a bit Tough), and you can die quite a few times (though never unfairly), but nothing that can't be solved by undoing a couple of times; the deaths themselves are rather 'pulpy' and I find them enjoyable.

The story itself is nothing special, but the setting is detailed and expansive; there are lots of characters, events, and locations, none of which feel forced or out of place. The world has diverse locations (each of the four acts has its own identity, so to speak), and everything is very thouroughly implemented (disclaimer: I was a beta tester for this game), which makes the whole thing alive. The puzzles themselves are fairly well balanced, though not too easy; most of them are well-clued, although there is inevitably a couple of 'read-the-author's-mind' moments, and there are no 'guess-the-verb' problems and other frustrations like that thanks to the great implementation. It's a long game: each of the four acts will probably take half a dozen hours, and there are a lot of puzzles; the game is also pretty linear, which means you might get stuck sometimes.

Overall, "The Axe of Kolt" is a long, classical text adventure with a nice setting, very good implementation and fair puzzles; it's an old school game that avoids a lot of the old-school pitfalls, and thus suited to modern sensitivities.

If you enjoyed The Axe of Kolt...

People who like The Axe of Kolt also gave high ratings to these games:

The Fire Tower, by Jacqueline A. Lott

their angelical understanding, by Porpentine
I train to fight angels in a monastery by the sea. Wear headphones. TW: Suicidal ideation, ableism, abuse, possible epilepsy trigger.

Draculaland, by Robin Johnson
A terse, comic horror puzzle game based loosely on Dracula, faithfully reimagining several characters and ignoring most of the original plot. Guide Jonathan Harker on a trip through Transylvania, interacting with vampires, mad...

The following polls include votes for The Axe of Kolt:

Must-play games by Jeff Sonas
I am looking for the games that, in your opinion, you simply must have played in order to really call yourself an IF aficionado. Or if someone wanted to play N number of IF games in order to get as good an overview of the IF classics...

Long-Form Games That Don't Require Mapping by Steven Watson
Playing Losing Your Grip has reminded me of just how tedious I find manual mapping in lengthy games, no matter how much I enjoy everything else. So, I'm looking for some long, engrossing games that don't require the player to draw maps....

Vast but not Cruel by Floating Info
I'd like to see games that are long and spacious, yet aren't Cruel (or very Nasty) on the Zarfian scale. Essentially, games that the main reason for saving is for time or the occasional timed part.

This is version 14 of this page, edited by Denk on 23 February 2016 at 1:36pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item