apus.acd
competition release; also requires "apus.​dat"
For all systems. To play, you'll need an Alan Interpreter for your system - visit the Alan home page for download links.
apus.dat
competition release; also requires "apus.​acd"

The Adventures of the President of the United States

by Mikko Vuorinen

2003

Development System: Alan 2
IFID: ALAN-43B05B791AF1D5C0FEAE5380CBFFF050
TUID: cago048gdg3n9ssu

21st Place - 9th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2003)

It's been a long time since I've played a Mikko Vuorinen game. The last one was his 1999 comp entry King Arthur's Night Out, which bizarrely recast King Arthur as a henpecked husband in a domestic farce. Some people, like Adam Cadre, apparently found this hilarious, but it mostly left me cold. Still, I was pleased to see Vuorinen's name on a comp entry this year, and playing TAOTPOTUS felt like a reunion with a seldom-seen relative -- even though its behavior was often exasperating, I couldn't help feeling a certain fondness for it, both because of its reliably predictable traits and because of my sense of shared history with it.

[...] The game's basic idea has potential and the room-country design is refreshing, but the game falls to its technical problems. If the author would've given some more time to actual programming and to the room descriptions, this would've been a quite entertaining game. (T. Henrik Anttonen)

Nice big idea, impeachable details, November 29, 2010
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)
The idea behind the game is wonderful--the President escapes from his boring job in the White House and visits various countries. Only the big ones, plus Finland and Sweden, get a room. The puzzles are apolitical and silly, and they are generally funny once you figure them out. APUS also gives many funny default responses and "You can't go that way" replacements.

Unfortunately, it's not big enough ("South America's not interesting,") and it neve builds on the gags. The few puzzles that veer from recognizing gently amusing stereotypes are poorly cued. While there's no guess-the-verb, there's plenty of trivial commands semi-logically changing the environment, or the effect of other trivial commands.

There's such a contrast between what you do to leave the White House (nothing unclean, but imagining ANY recent President doing this makes me giggle) and explaining that the White House is pretty boring, and you're bored, except for some generic details, that the game feels grossly unpolished.

This is too bad, because I don't think an American could make a game like this, with such a neat title, and stay apolitical. And yet, the author couldn't be expected to know that a West Wing would make the opening puzzle a lot better.

So, more countries and better descriptions--the potential's there, as I enjoyed many quips and default command responses--would've made this game memorable for more than the title and opportunities missed. Not that I regret playing it. I enjoyed filling in the details I wished the game had, but others may just get exasperated.

Short and funny, April 25, 2009
by Otto (France)
The Adventures of the President of the United States is a funny game you can play in 15 minutes. It's highly caricatural and can remind of some old point n click adventure games (you can travel through various countries with just the normal compass directions). Some puzzles are not hinted enough I think, and you have to carefully examine everything to get new clues and open new possibilities.

I didn't manage to finish it though, even with the walkthrough, because an object I was supposed to get wasn't at the expected place (Spoiler - click to show)(the opener in Russia), so I suppose it was just a bug (maybe replaying it with a different configuration may solve this).

It was enjoyable and diverting anyway.

If you enjoyed The Adventures of the President of the United States...

People who like The Adventures of the President of the United States also gave high ratings to these games:

Sparrow's Song, by J. D. Berry

Little Falls, by Alessandro Schillaci, Roberto Grassi, Simonato Enrico
Minnesota, September 2005. A serial killer hunting young women. A policeman with nightmares in his past. “To all units near Little Falls, there’s a 5150 code. A woman called 911, saying she’s in trouble. Head for 10th Av SW, Little...

Filaments, by FibreTigre

The Adventures of the President of the United States appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Favorite ALAN games by A. Johanna DeNiro
These are some of my favorite games written in the ALAN IF-development language. With a lower learning curve and a more natural-language programming environment, ALAN v2 definitely filled an important role in IF before the advent of...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Emily Boegheim on 13 June 2009 at 1:20am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item