Story file

Escape From Santaland

by Jason Ermer profile

Fantasy/Seasonal
2011

Ugh. Christmastime at the mall. The last place you want to be, during the worst time of year to be there.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: 252E12C9-81F5-45FC-98C0-8BA8CA946B50
TUID: br46v97916gdaa4e

4th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
The emphasis on implausible brain teasers and light layer of fiction may not appeal to everyone, but the game thoroughly accomplishes what it sets out to do. People who like Hollywood Hijinx or some of the classics of the mid-90s will probably find Escape from Santaland a light-hearted and tidily constructed entry in that tradition.

A mid-sized puzzlefest in a mall at Christmas, February 3, 2016
This game is a classic-style puzzle adventure strung together into a thin plot. Your keys are stolen in a cheesy Christmas area at a mall, and you have to get it back by operating a series of complicated machines.

This game hits up a lot of the classic puzzle types. Light source puzzle, complicated lock and key, disassembling and reassembling items, removing obstructing NPCs, trial and error puzzles, etc.

The puzzles are mildly difficult for a puzzlefest and the game is not too long. A compass rose aids navigation and the writing spruces up the whole affair.

Basically, if you like Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina, you'll like this, it's younger, smaller cousin.

If you enjoyed Escape From Santaland...