Story file

Escape From Santaland

by Jason Ermer profile

Fantasy/Seasonal
2011

Ugh. Christmastime at the mall. The last place you want to be, during the worst time of year to be there.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: 252E12C9-81F5-45FC-98C0-8BA8CA946B50
TUID: br46v97916gdaa4e

4th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
The emphasis on implausible brain teasers and light layer of fiction may not appeal to everyone, but the game thoroughly accomplishes what it sets out to do. People who like Hollywood Hijinx or some of the classics of the mid-90s will probably find Escape from Santaland a light-hearted and tidily constructed entry in that tradition.

A mid-sized puzzlefest in a mall at Christmas, February 3, 2016
This game is a classic-style puzzle adventure strung together into a thin plot. Your keys are stolen in a cheesy Christmas area at a mall, and you have to get it back by operating a series of complicated machines.

This game hits up a lot of the classic puzzle types. Light source puzzle, complicated lock and key, disassembling and reassembling items, removing obstructing NPCs, trial and error puzzles, etc.

The puzzles are mildly difficult for a puzzlefest and the game is not too long. A compass rose aids navigation and the writing spruces up the whole affair.

Basically, if you like Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina, you'll like this, it's younger, smaller cousin.

If you enjoyed Escape From Santaland...

People who like Escape From Santaland also gave high ratings to these games:

Bloodline, by Liza Daly
"Teenage slumber party. Boys. Girls. Board game. Insight into intelligent-girl angst." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

The Frenetic Five vs. the Seven Deadly Dwarves, by Neil deMause

A Bear's Night Out, by David Dyte
"Tomorrow is the big Teddy Bear party, and you must definitely not let your owner forget about it..." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

The following polls include votes for Escape From Santaland:

IF that centers around holidays by Molly
I'm looking for IF that centers around specific real-world holidays, e.g. Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, Passover, the Fourth of July, Guy Fawkes Day, Halloween, etc.

Games where you can't screw up by Pinstripe
Sometimes, when I'm playing a game, I spend more time juggling my save files than I do reading the text. I don't want to have to restart because I picked up the green rod instead of the clay jug (with apologies to Zarf). So I'm looking...

Holiday games by Sorrel
I'm looking for some IF games to get me into the holiday spirit.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Sobol on 13 August 2016 at 2:21pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item