Story File, Release 3
Play online at sub-Q
Jugar en linea
Traducido por Ruber Eaglenest (Clérigo Urbatain)
Descargar versión en Español
Traducido por Ruber Eaglenest (Clérigo Urbatain)
Ectocomp 2014
Contains lime.z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Lime Ergot

by Caleb Wilson (as Rust Blight) profile

Now everyone is gone. (Well, almost everyone.)

Entry in ECTOCOMP 2014.

Language: en; es
First Publication Date: October 31, 2014
IFID: D411018C-89C6-4AB8-9F9B-21E38BD34002
TUID: b8mb4fcwmf1hrxl

Followed by prequel The Boot-Scraper, by Caleb Wilson (as Lionel Schwob)

6th Place - EctoComp 2014

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Segue
Lime Ergot is a telescoping perception puzzle. This is where its importance to the parser medium lies: it uses the traditional construction of objects and subobjects to recast movement and perception. For decades, the parser was very concerned with “mimetic” representations of realistic space, with achieving a form of immersion that is present, also, in graphical video games; particularly with achieving the sort of materiality and space that is also found in those games.

Works like this upend this ideal. They present a space that has to be traversed on different terms. You play Lime Ergot by falling into its descriptive text, one layer at a time. Most uses of this device only go a couple layers deep and rely on increasingly-minute detail; Lime Ergot discards our spatial expectations entirely, and not only builds in an implausible number of layers of perception, many of the moves are lateral or even not spatial at all. It’s probably one of the best representations, in fiction, of a hallucinatory or dissociating state.

spooky action at a distance
In short: this is one of the most coherent games I have played in terms of using the precise medium of interactivity to produce and highlight an emotional state in the player. It is an absolute gem of a game.

An indolent fever dream, January 20, 2015
by CMG (NYC)
In this game you never move. You see and remember and hallucinate.

You are standing on a sunbaked wharf and your commanding officer, a wizened general in a wheelchair, orders you to prepare her a cocktail: a green skull. It requires limes. You have no limes. This is the game's premise, and acquiring the limes is its only puzzle.

Because you cannot leave the general's side, all that you may do is "examine" your surroundings, and as your examinations deepen, you peel back diaphanous layer after diaphanous layer until the atmosphere is swimming with lost memories. The scenario is hazy and beautiful, but also wrong, diseased.

Castle of the Red Prince uses this same mechanic, but whereas that game allows the player to move lightning-fast across the landscape by simply "examining" different objects or locations, Lime Ergot internalizes the action by rooting you to a single spot. The sensations that you uncover gather around you like a fog, and experiencing this mood is the game's purpose.

I discovered two endings. Both are easy to find, and both are worth reading. More might be possible.

The game is short, the writing crisp, with subtle eccentricity throughout. On the surface it is as light and refreshing as a breeze, but there is a creeping plague wind underneath. Try it if that sounds promising; move on if you prefer more varied gameplay or puzzle-solving.

Ingenious mechanic, unsettling atmosphere, May 8, 2015
by verityvirtue (London)
You and the general are the last ones left on the island of St Stellio, and she wants adrink. You’re the lower-ranking officer, so it’s up to you to get the drink done.

The game consists of find-the-object puzzles through descriptions which act like nested dolls (‘telescopic’ descriptions?). Examining one object reveals another, which reveals another, which reveals another… While the puzzle itself wasn't much, the joy of playing Lime Ergot was in the devices and scenery. The mechanic was ingenious, keeping the game’s scope small without feeling contrived. The writing is lush and evocative, and suited the mildly hallucinatory state of the PC. Lime Ergot is a well-thought-out, tidy piece for one written in three hours.

Similar to Castle of the Red Prince.

Approx playing time: 30 mins

Great hallucinatory speed IF. Examine things that you then examine, etc., February 3, 2016
I've heard many people talk about Lime Ergot, but I had no idea what it was about. It was an EctoComp 2014 game, so it had to be written in 3 hours, although it has since been updated.

The main thrust of the game is that you are standing with a general near a city, trying to make a Green Skull drink. Everything is vague and surreal. You 'move' by examining things, then examining more and examining more.

I had trouble getting started, but once I got started, it got easier and easier.

Strongly recommended for its fun-to-time ratio.

If you enjoyed Lime Ergot...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Lime Ergot, or gave both high ratings:

Castle of the Red Prince, by C.E.J. Pacian
Welcome to Amaranth, foreigner. The Red Prince haunts your dreams, you say? If you want to overthrow our tyrant, you’ll need to consider this whole blighted land at once. (Castle of the Red Prince is a small text adventure with a...

The Boot-Scraper, by Caleb Wilson (as Lionel Schwob)
On the night of August 14th, 1799, eight days off St. Stellio, the sloop Meleagris was smashed apart by a storm. Most of the crew and passengers alike were crushed by fallen rigging, or drowned, or eaten by sharks. One passenger was not...

Love is Zero, by Porpentine, Sloane, Brenda Neotenomie
Love is Zero is a quick replayable song-poem about vampire tennis school girls on the moon. Each playthrough is unique.

Lime Ergot appears in the following Recommended Lists:

A starter pack for those new to interactive fiction by MathBrush
I had a list like this before which I deleted, but I noticed it had a lot of views on intfiction, so I thought I'd make a new one to help people out. It has 10 web-based games, 10 parser games for beginners and 10 parser games of medium...

Great "white hat" horror games by genre by MathBrush
This list does not include games intended to disgust or to make you personally feel evil. The focus is on games where good overcomes evil, or that just make you think. That is what I mean by "white hat" games. Games like Vespers or...

The following polls include votes for Lime Ergot:

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

Very Short Games by tggdan3
Games that can be completed in less than 30 mintues. Need not be one room (though that obviously helps). Hopefully, the games are fun as well.

This is version 18 of this page, edited by Caleb Wilson on 1 July 2017 at 10:30am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item