Story file
Map
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Byzantine Perspective

by Lea Albaugh profile

2009

Your task is simple enough. Just nab the chalice.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2009
IFID: 2EE181C2-658D-4C2D-874C-9BAA53C67F94
TUID: ay0yfjdivax1m40e

9th Place - 15th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2009)

Winner, Best Individual Puzzle - 2009 XYZZY Awards

Jay Is Games
Byzantine Perspective makes the perfect lunchtime game: quick to play and very satisfying to work out.

Byzantine, October 16, 2009
by Portmanteau
Related reviews: Byzantine
This is a rather short game, but a relatively enjoyable one. It has one larger "worldview" puzzle in which you must work out the fundamental nature of the game, including how to interpret your senses, and one minor puzzle that stems pretty directly from this. It can be solved pretty easily without any assistance from the walkthrough while still being satisfying to complete; a quite positive trait, really. However, the atmosphere of the game is very sparse, the room descriptions are minimal and the world feels quite empty. Objects seem to be only minimally implemented, and one of the puzzles involves being alerted to something you have likely already guessed the existence of. All told, it is a fun diversion and an interesting concept, and, as a one-trick-pony of a game, its brevity does it a favor.

A single idea, but a good one, November 16, 2009
This is a very clever little game. It is one of those games that basically have a single puzzle. In this case there are a couple of things you have to do, but once you work out whatís going on, itís not enormously difficult to do them. The tricky part is working out whatís going on. The best procedure if you are having difficulty with this is but donít want to be told the answer outright is (Spoiler - click to show)to make a map, showing where you actually can and canít go, and compare that to the map that is provided.

It is hard to say any more than that without spoiling the game.

The basic mechanic is very simple (if utterly confusing at first), and there is nothing really to the game other than this: no objects besides the couple involved in the puzzle, and not much else to look at along the way. The puzzle itself is short and the game does not take long to play at all once you twig. What content there is seems to be well implemented and I didnít find any bugs.

Overall, then, this is a simple game that does little other than introduce an initially confusing but ultimately elegant mechanic and leave the player to work out what that mechanic is Ė but it does it very well indeed.

Excellent Puzzle, August 11, 2010
by Tristano (Italy)
I rated 5 this game because I found it to be an excellent piece of playable-IF to solve. A mind-bending puzzle that captures the player without a sense of frustration. Overall, it shouldn't take too long to complete it.

Since the very beginning of play you "sense" that something is strange ... that sensation kept me going ahead without frustration even though I moved around in circles for quite a while, but I knew that somehow I was on the right track. Then ... it "clicked" to me and everything was clear. Nevertheless, once the core of the puzzle is grasped it still takes some strategic moves to actually solve it.

No distractions, just a polished and well presented puzzle with all its elements in plain sight. Nice atmosphere.

Surely one of its own kind -- I don't recall coming across any similar puzzles.

If you enjoyed Byzantine Perspective...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Byzantine Perspective, or gave both high ratings:

All Things Devours, by half sick of shadows
From the game's about command: "All Things Devours is a short piece of interactive fiction, leaning strongly towards the text-adventure end of the spectrum. It explores an all-too-familiar science fiction paradigm in what I hope is a...

ULTRA BUSINESS TYCOON III, by Porpentine
Iíve finally finished porting and cracking an old edutainment game from the 90′s. Please enjoy.

Orevore Courier, by Brian Rapp

Byzantine Perspective appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Xyzzy "Best Individual Puzzle" winners by Nusco
All the games that won the Best Individual Puzzle award, year by year. I'll avoid giveaway spoilers in my comments, but I'll still comment on the type and difficulty of the puzzle. I'll describe the puzzles by my own categories....

Mind-benders by Juhana
Games that make you think or have a surprising twist.

The following polls include votes for Byzantine Perspective:

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

Most unique games by Jeremy Freese
Whatever else might be said about ___________, there's not another game like it.

Games with "logical" puzzles by Victor Gijsbers
Some puzzles--like chess problems or sudokus--can be difficult even though you know all the rules. I'm looking for IF games with this kind of puzzle: you can get to know the rules by simple exploration, and then you still have to solve...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by salty-horse on 30 March 2013 at 12:35pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item