The Final Cut version. Different beginning and ending sequences, help menu and added content and puzzles. RECOMMENDED.
Full map for the Final Cut Version. Good at 90% for original release, also.
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.
Story file
Release 2, Final IFComp2011 release.
Valid 90% for the Final Cut version. Different ending and beginning.
Story file
Release 1, Original IFComp2011 entry.

Andromeda Awakening - The Final Cut

by Marco Innocenti profile

Episode 1 of the Andromeda Series

The most important discovery in history. And then, the whole world goes crumbling down. Armed with but a computer and an expired railway ticket, how can one expect to save the day when the doomsday clock has begun ticking...?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
License: Creative Commons
IFID: 32FC6F62-5EF9-4BA5-B055-7CB5497785A7
TUID: ajzw6jutat2aeqa

Followed by sequel Andromeda Apocalypse Extended Edition, by Marco Innocenti

17th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Expand all | Add a news item

The Final Cut is a cut above., June 23, 2012
by Wade Clarke (Sydney, Australia)
Related reviews: IFComp 2011, Inform 7, science fiction
The original IFComp 2011 incarnation of the ambitious sci-fi adventure Andromeda Awakening attracted a lot of what felt like controversy at the time. It was self-proclaimedly verbose, probably too big for the competition context, definitely not accessible enough in general, too difficult due to that inaccessibility and thus polarising overall. These difficulties were distracting spikes on the outer surface of a game with an extremely developed and immersive mythology, a weird and novel atmosphere to match and a powerful ultimate effect. Andromeda's remarkable qualities didn't go unnoticed, but having to handle a valuable thing is still offputting if that thing is spiky, and a lot of players were put off.

Author Marco Innocenti absorbed the considerable volume of feedback the game generated, generated feedback on the feedback in his expansive way, then revised Andromeda and released the new incarnation as Andromeda Awakening - The Final Cut, neatly using movie director parlance to emphasise the degree of change between the versions of the game most people played during IFComp and this new one.

Your role in the adventure is that of a scientist who has put together a doom-predicting report on the state of the planet Monarch. As you rush by train to deliver it to folks who might be able to do something about the impending disaster, the disaster strikes, leaving you in a crumbling underground of magma and strange technology. Mysteries and revelations lie ahead. The imagery and construction of the underground world is fascinating, and feels very real. Many objects and entities you encounter can be researched on your E-Pad, Andromeda's answer to the Hitchhiker's Guide, and this mechanism allows the game to significantly increase the amount of information it delivers while remaining interactive and also motivating you to investigate that information. The overall atmosphere and behaviour of Andromeda is not unlike some of the explorative stretches in the first-person incarnations of the Metroid games, all cavernous areas, natural features and unexplained alien technology.

As a fan of the original Andromeda Awakening I can say that The Final Cut makes good on its promise to fundamentally smooth out the experience. The original was studded with moments where it was broadly clear what needed to be done but difficult to do it. Tricky implementation, casually mentioned but crucial props and unnecessarily fiddly interactions kept tripping up a great story. In almost every case, these problem props have now been fixed up or clued with infinitely more grace, or just made automatic and removed altogether.

Other improvements include the addition of a quality help menu and a 'go to' command for immediately returning to previously visited locations. Some of the prose's weirder expressions have been excised, though I was glad to find that the 'cyanotic lights' were still present.

There are also a couple of significant structural changes/additions made in the Final Cut. A sequence near the end allows for some new third person perspectives on the game's backstory, and the basic 'leave your house to go on your mission' intro has been replaced with something more dramatic.

Even as a returning player, I still found it difficult to work out what to do with a lot of the alien machinery down in the underground, but at least those puzzles are now challenging for valid reasons, and not attended by the general querulousness that hovered over the original game. Andromeda's effect is not spoiled by heading to the walkthrough now and then; its outcomes feel too big for that. If the game's high quality was originally obscured, The Final Cut makes it much more apparent.

Moving, glorious and fantastic., January 4, 2015
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
I absolutely loved this, this truly is a masterpiece. Riveting, thrilling, and sentimental at times. Truly great.

You start off as a scientist, determined to publish your findings after your colleague was murdered. I won't give it away, but things go wrong and you're literally fighting for life.

You get to explore underground facilities and caves, and the puzzles were quite nice. I had to use the walkthrough a couple times, and the game could've benefitted from an in-game map, but overall the puzzles were straightforward and on the right difficulty.

The ending touched me, and I was one of those who hadn't linked "The Event" to us, and I left this game somber and sad. But don't let that stop you, the ending is truly moving and it is a magnificent game. Any game that makes you ponder your existence is truly great and deserving of your time. One of the best I've played on here.

Natural disaster sci-fi in a city/lab. Much better than would first appear, September 8, 2015
Andromeda Apocalypse seemed unappealing to me for a long time (I imagined some kind of space battle simulator). And when I first started playing, the language seemed a bit weird.

But then it all pulled together. This is a great exploration/adventure sci-fi game. The focus is on understanding the mystery, with the occasional computer log and a fun electronic encyclopedia called the e-Pad.

A short-to-mid length game, right on the upper end of most IF comp entries. The game is very polished except for annoying 'guess the noun' issues (you must say 'windows' not 'window''; a 'large strange object' is 'object', etc.)

Overall, a great feel. Reminded me of Eric Eve's nightfall, and a bit like Scavenger. Definitely worth playing.

If you enjoyed Andromeda Awakening - The Final Cut...

People who like Andromeda Awakening - The Final Cut also gave high ratings to these games:

The 12:54 to Asgard, by J. Robinson Wheeler
Your mood is foul as you drive down to the studio in the middle of the night to fix a leak that's threatening to short circuit the entire studio. A chilling feeling haunts you tonight, and you feel pushed to the end of the line. Is this...

Duel, by piato
But you were the one challenged. Custom dictates that you make the first move.

Bellclap, by Tommy Herbert

Andromeda Awakening - The Final Cut appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

Andromeda Series by Infinite999
This is a list for all of the games in the Andromeda Series in this recommended playing order: 1. Andromeda Awakening - The Final Cut 2. Andromeda Dreaming 3. Andromeda Apocalypse - Extended Edition 4. Andromeda Ascending

The following polls include votes for Andromeda Awakening - The Final Cut:

Deep fictional worlds by Kenji Yamada
I'd like to play more games set in fictional worlds with deeply-imagined cultures and history. Implementation depth would also be a plus.

Good sci-fi games by IFDent
I'm looking for a good science fiction game (sci-fi game) for example, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom. Can't get enough sci-fi text adventures.

Best Post-Comp Releases by Alan Johanna DeNiro
Looking for games that did more than bug fixes or extra polishing in their post-IF Comp releases, but rather made substantial changes in scope or content for the better. It could be a middling Comp game made great or an already good game...

This is version 12 of this page, edited by Dannii on 22 November 2012 at 9:40am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item