Known Unknowns

by Brendan Patrick Hennessy profile

Ghost Investigation (High School)

Nadia Nazari has a lot of unknowns to contend with in her Grade 12 year. Like how can she run an entire school newspaper with only one employee? Why has her estranged ex best friend suddenly come back into her life? How is her long-term boyfriend going to react when he finds out she's bisexual? And oh yeah WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THE FREAKY GHOST RACCOONS HAUNTING HER HIGH SCHOOL??

Language: English (en-CA)

Episode 3 Out Now May 15, 2017
Episode 2 Out Now January 14, 2017
Expand all | Add a news item

Well-written but unfinished, January 23, 2017
Well-written characters and relationships that make me want to find out where things are going. Its main weakness is its unfinished nature: there's a lot of setup but without payoff, and this contributes to it feeling linear and like my choices don't matter. Also, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the mysterious conversation, but without payoff that justifies it it seems arbitrary and gimmicky. But the writing is solid and the character interactions are fun, and I hope the remainder emerges because I'm curious to see where it goes.

Another strong entry from Hennessy, November 15, 2016
Hennessy writes with a strong voice and distinct characters, representing a broad spectrum of sexuality and identity, interwoven with contemporary themes and a strong vein of magical realism.

If you played Birdland, you're familiar with Hennessy's oeuvre: unrequited or unrealized young love, the surreal and supernatural, and a free mixing of reality and fantasy.

Anime conventions, hyperbole, self-awareness, and irony run throughout the dialogues and settings, and a memorable scene includes the use of emoji instead of words.

This piece could stand on its own, although the ending would be unsatisfying as the finale. Thankfully it's part one of a planned four part series. I'm interested to see where it goes, and am looking forward to the next installment.

Not terrible, but definitely lacking, November 10, 2016
by macabremobster2 (Frederick, Colorado)
I'll admit, when I first booted up the game I was enjoying myself. The uneasy mode the first part creates is perfect for what's happening in the story. After that sequence, you're presented with a well designed game screen with *gasp* headshot drawings of the characters. While I don't like the script style of writing it used, mostly because I see it as a way of getting out of writing actual descriptions of things, it was overall good. I would've given the game four stars, but then (Spoiler - click to show)I met the raccoon. I don't know if the author thought he was being creative or original or interesting with creating a conversation with emojis, but he wasn't. If anything it was just annoying, confusing, and didn't end up getting across any information at all. Emojis are something I rarely accept the use of, even in texts, but in a piece of writing it's a terrible and lazy choice. Why would a dead raccoon even speak in emojis anyways? It's dumb, and the story didn't need it. Hell, it would've been way better without it.

If you enjoyed Known Unknowns...