SCREW YOU, BEAR DAD!

by Xalavier Nelson Jr.

- Catalina, October 13, 2017

A bear-pun-filled exploration of parental relationships and friendship, June 5, 2017
This is a highly styled twine game that switches back and forth between two narratives about a bear, one set in the present where the bear is roaming a lab, and the other in the past where the bear confronts his father.

The game is full of bear puns (which are great) and occasional strong profanity (which I did not enjoy; I used a web-based profanity filter, though, so it wasn't bad.)

The story was funny (with one rather gruesome bit covered in other reviews). The deep backstory, though, was not compelling to me, as I didn't feel it was universal. It's a sort of classic Millenial story about fighting for the right to do nothing.

- ocdunlap, February 19, 2017

- Doug Orleans (Somerville, MA, USA), November 24, 2016

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), November 18, 2016

- Liza Daly, November 17, 2016

- Robin Johnson (Scotland), November 16, 2016

Powerful material, solid writing, held back by pacing and UI decisions, November 14, 2016
Emotionally powerful writing that lightens the mood with the humorous concept of putting you in the story as an anthropomorphised bear who communicates via gestures.

The story is linear, but the choices feel meaningful and deliver a sense of agency. My only negative feeling towards the work is that the UI forces pauses between sections of text, and prevents you from advancing, which slowed down my sense of pacing and urgency. I suspect the plot plays a part too, as it is predicated on moving back and forth through time in a way that usually works, but sometimes feels like it could use a little more attention.

funny, but not IF, October 30, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
no, it's not interactive when it demands a "page turn" for each new word in the text. text effects don't turn it more interactive either, nor does the parser-like text links

screw you, bear sonny