Bronze.zblorb
expanded version

Bronze

by Emily Short profile

Part of fractured fairy tales
2006

When the seventh day comes and it is time for you to return to the castle in the forest, your sisters cling to your sleeves.

IFID: 1810847C-0DC7-44D5-94EF-313A3E7AF257
TUID: 9p8kh3im2j9h2881

Nominee, Best Use of Medium - 2006 XYZZY Awards

IF-Review
Alloys and Allies
Bronze is no masterpiece, but it is a well-crafted, fun, and satisfying game. I recommend it not only to people wishing to learn Inform 7 but to all fans of quality puzzle-laden text adventures.

Ferretbrain
Bronze avoided pretty much every single problem I have ever had with interactive fiction. Designed to be accessible to new players, it's very good at letting you know what you're supposed to be doing, how you're supposed to be doing it, and giving you a sense of your progress.

My Introduction to the Pleasures of Interactive Fiction, October 19, 2007
by Ron Newcomb (Seattle)
This is the first I-F I have ever played to completion, and the one to make me take notice of the form. In Bronze, you are Beauty, of the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, and after a week-long "vacation" to visit your old family, you return to the castle to find something amiss.

This game is intended for those of us new to interactive fiction. Puzzles have multiple solutions, multiple puzzles are open to the player at once, no time limits, hints are built-in, even the most basic I-F commands can be listed for those completely new to I-F, the writing is solid, the difficulty is on the easier side, and exploration produces a strong sense of place while maintaining the fairy tale's soft lucidness. And, commands new to the form, such as GO TO, remove a lot of the tedium of the old-school games.

I strongly recommend Bronze to those friends and family who may enjoy a textual video game, but whom would have little patience with the intentionally frustrating and pedantic I-Fs of old.

Interesting take on a well-known fairytale, November 9, 2007
by Kake (London, England)
Related reviews: Emily Short, ****
Bronze is a very user-friendly and fairly entertaining take on Beauty and the Beast. I was never once frustrated by syntax or by tedious tasks, and I really enjoyed the way that the backstory was revealed as my wanderings through the castle triggered memories and reflections of the time my character had spent there before the events of the game.

You may find that you need to draw a map, though the layout's not incredibly complicated. (You can't really get lost, thanks to the very useful "go to" syntax, which will take you back to any room you've already visited, but I found that the map helped me keep track of where I had and hadn't explored.)

The only thing I didn't like was that with at least one of the multiple endings, I felt that I'd been "cut off" from continuing, simply because of the order that I solved the final puzzles in.

Not just A Fairy Tale, April 13, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
I'll be honest- when I first saw this game, I wasn't too excited about it. It seemed like it would be some kind of Beauty and the Beast knockoff about love and conversation with NPCs more than the cave crawl I've come to love.

I was wrong. Very wrong.

Emily Short has taken many IF tropes and made them wonderful again. The dark maze is here, with a twist (Spoiler - click to show) you can listen to find your way around , you have the abandonitus of being in this huge castle alone, and there are puzzles to solve, keys to find, areas to unlock. It may not have been in the Zork universe, but I had all the excitement I had when I first played Zork I some 20 years ago.

What's more, she makes things so EASY for you, at least as far as annoying actions. Doors are automatically unlocked if you have the key, and opened. None of those annoying "that door is closed" messages. You can "go to" a specific room, or "find" a specific item, going back to where it was. When lost in the maze, you can be reminded what direction you came FROM, and when using the GO TO command, it tells you what directions and rooms you passed getting to your location. These little things really make the game more fun, as it avoids the tedium of moving back from room to room. If only Zork I had that...

Anyway, if, like me, you were wary of the game because of the title and premise- don't be. It's a fun puzzle game with plenty of flashbacks to provide a deep and well written story.

If you enjoyed Bronze...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Bronze, or gave both high ratings:

Jigsaw, by Graham Nelson
New Year's Eve, 1999, a quarter to midnight and where else to be but Century Park! Fireworks cascade across the sky, your stomach rumbles uneasily, music and lasers howl across the parkland... Not exactly your ideal party (especially as...

A Tight Spot, by Quim K. Holland

Give Me Your Lunch Money, by DCBSupafly
You're an 8 year-old inventor, carrying nothing, and the end-of-classes bell has just rung at your school. You're eager to finish the model fortress you've been constructing at the nearby park. All it needs is a string of some kind to...

Bronze appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ficção interativa by Emily Short
IF presented so far at the 13ª Jornada Nacional de Literatura in Passo Fundo, 2009. These works were chosen for a variety of reasons: to illustrate the history of interactive fiction, to teach new players how to interact, to demonstrate...

For Ash by Keita
Games I'd think she'd enjoy.

Recs for Ben and Amy by Leland Paul
Recommendations for play-aloud IF for a roadtrip.

The following polls include votes for Bronze:

Games suitable for children by msousa
My 10 year old twins recently "discovered" IF. They fell in love with Grunk and are asking for more games to play. I've searched BAF and have some ideas, but figured I would give this poll a shot since there are hundreds and hundreds of...

Games where you can't screw up by Pinstripe
Sometimes, when I'm playing a game, I spend more time juggling my save files than I do reading the text. I don't want to have to restart because I picked up the green rod instead of the clay jug (with apologies to Zarf). So I'm looking...

Romance Games by Molly
In honor of Valentine's Day, I'm looking for games that deal with romance and relationships.

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Emily Short on 16 June 2011 at 8:25am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item