Sushi.zblorb

A Day for Fresh Sushi

by Emily Short profile

Humor/Slice of life
2001

No time for fantasy. Must feed fish.

Development System: Inform
IFIDs:  5EF93A1F-6BDC-4AC9-801E-96480C241EF2
ZCODE-1-010416-FFFFAC1F
ZCODE-1-010416-AC1F
TUID: 7yiyxcnrlwejoffd

'Fresh Sushi' is a treat. It's not a challenging or long game: all you need do is feed your friend's pet fish. But it shines in its treatment of its characters. This is most notable with the pet fish, who has a boorish comment or reaction for almost everything you do (including new comments on repeated actions, in some cases). But it's also clear that some thought was put into both the player character's character and also that of your absent friend, whose art studio you are visiting (eg: look at the painting).

-- David Welbourn

Delicious bite-sized sushi, July 9, 2010
In A Day for Fresh Sushi, instead of trying to cobble together a whole game under the time limit, Short has written one perfectly constructed little scene. It's a few steps away from a one-move game; if you get even slightly lucky you'll win right away, but want to come back to see what happens when you try other things. As other reviews have said, the fish's commentary is hilarious and is really what makes the game. Most of this game is silly with touches of playful romance, but there are deeper elements suggesting a more complex backstory. (Hint: (Spoiler - click to show)look at the painting.)

Good SpeedIF, January 17, 2008
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
Related reviews: SpeedIF
I don't like formalised rating systems. How many stars do you give a fun SpeedIF game? Do you compare it to other SpeedIF, or do you compare it to all other interactive fiction? Neither seems a very desirable choice, and that leaves me in an unsolvable dilemma.

Anyway, that's why I don't give rating without writing a corresponding review. Forget about the number of stars: A Day for Fresh Sushi is a very short and ridiculously easy game, but it has a nice atmosphere, more polish and backstory than you may expect from SpeedIF, and an NPC that I would love to see in a longer and more sustained game.

Fast but well-done, January 6, 2008
by Matt Poush (Des Moines, Iowa)
Emily Short always has a way with NPCs, even in SpeedIF entries. The 'game' is very simple to beat, but that's hardly the point - the polish is definitely there in the environs, but is most evident in the NPC implementation.

If you enjoyed A Day for Fresh Sushi...

Other members recommend these games for people who like A Day for Fresh Sushi, or gave both high ratings:

Violet, by Jeremy Freese
Calm down. All you have to do is write a thousand words and everything will be fine. And you have all day, except it's already noon. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Lydia's Heart, by Jim Aikin
"Lydia's Heart" is a large, complex game with a serious tone and seven or eight NPCs you can converse with. The genre is low-key horror: There's almost no actual blood, but there are several ways to die in a very frightening way. Various...

The Queen's Menagerie, by Chandler Groover
These beasts won't feed themselves. A puzzleless exhibition. Ten to fifteen minutes.

A Day for Fresh Sushi appears in the following Recommended Lists:

For Ash by Keita
Games I'd think she'd enjoy.

Great "lunchtime length" games by MathBrush
These are games that can generally be completed in 30 minutes or less. Some can be completed much faster. Included in this list are games that have multiple endings that can individually be reached quickly. It also includes several Twiny...

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

The following polls include votes for A Day for Fresh Sushi:

One Room Non-Escape Games by tggdan3
I'm looking for a one room game, where the purpose is NOT to escape that one room. (Eliminating games such as Enlightenment, Suveh Nux, 69,105 keys, etc). I'm not sure if there even ARE many such games, but I would be interested in...

Speed IFs that are awesome by trojo
Expectations for Speed-IFs are generally low, but sometimes games written as Speed-IFs are in fact awesome-- not just "awesome for a Speed IF" but truly worthwhile. List some favorites here.

Mother-Daugher Relations by matt w (Matt Weiner)
What are some IF works that involve a relationship between a mother and a daughter? Not necessarily as the center of the work, but as something that impinges on it at all.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Dave Chapeskie on 29 April 2009 at 4:41pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item