Sam and Leo Go To The Bodega

by Richard Goodness profile

One day, Sam Dellaria and Leo Akane dropped acid and went to a bodega. This is their story.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
TUID: 6pdk0ej113ejwpb3

25th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Gentle, misunderstood, February 28, 2014
by Jonas Kyratzes (The Lands of Dream)
Most of the previous Twine games by Richard Goodness are harshly satirical in nature; one could almost call them anti-Twine games. So it may be easy to misread Sam and Leo as some kind of rude (stoner) comedy, when in fact it's a surprisingly gentle story, full of genuine warmth for its protagonists. The fact that nothing extraordinary happens is part of the point: it's a glimpse into the lives of these ordinary, flawed, beautiful human beings, driven by the narrator's compassion and love (rather than pity or outrage).

I never saw Harold and Kumar..., October 28, 2013
I suspect this is a take-off/parody of Harold & Kumar, and I don't know if I'd have enjoyed it as much if I'd seen Harold & Kumar.

I enjoyed it. It was amusing, well-written, and randomized enough that I felt like my choices were making real differences in outcomes. While it isn't a particularly interactive game, it FEELS like one, and presents some choices which don't seem to have any bearing on the outcomes, but still feel engaging and real.

This is another well-done CYOA from the 2013 Inform competition.

If you enjoyed Sam and Leo Go To The Bodega...

People who like Sam and Leo Go To The Bodega also gave high ratings to these games:

Abstract State-warp Machines, by Ivaylo Shmilev
Interactive science fiction poetry. It is suggested you play slowly and carefully, as the game's style and subject matter require a certain level of engagement. An entry in the 2014 Fear of Twine exhibition.

Debt, by Tony Perriello

Saturday Night, by Eric Brasure
It's Saturday night! You're home by yourself and feeling pretty bored. Caution: NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN. Very explicitly NSFW. An entry in the 2014 Fear of Twine exhibition.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Richard Goodness on 13 November 2013 at 7:26pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item