Game File

Behind the Door

by eejitlikeme

It all started around a month ago, when you received the first postcard with imprinted exotic flowers and beautiful butterflies. The postcards continued to arrive in your mailbox - without any text apart from the address, which was not so far from your house. Finally, you decided to come over and find out about the sender...

{Credits for testing: Andreas Bayr, Anna Bulina, Klemens Jahrmann}

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: 6ccamhnzf6tl72m8

46th Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

A short quest game in a magical house, November 16, 2017
This short Quest game has you go into a mysterious house. In that house, you have to solve a few short puzzles and meet a stranger.

This game felt insubstantial to me; I wished for more: more puzzles, more backstory, more descriptions, more conversation.

This feels like the seed of a bigger and better game. I could see a 2.0 version of this game being very enjoyable.

A benign haunted house puzzler, October 28, 2017
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: phlegmatic
You’ve been receiving a series of weird postcards. In a bid to find the person behind them, you find yourself at a very strange house indeed.

It’s the archetypal start of a haunted house story. What follows, however, could well be set anywhere else.

The cover art had me primed for Alice in Wonderland-style whimsy. I think that was the intention of the author, with the non sequitur rooms, but this game gives me the overriding impression of being… benign. The prose is quite plain and functional. The puzzles work, without being too contrived, and are reasonably logical.

The Quest interface at least provides more than one way (well, most of the time) to perform basic parser-like actions, such as moving or manipulating objects, though this was inconsistent across rooms.

This generally reminds me of Transparent, which also involves a haunted house, albeit a much more malevolent one.

If you enjoyed Behind the Door...

People who like Behind the Door also gave high ratings to these games:

My Name is Tara Sue, by Maki Yamazaki
"Your name is Tara Sue. You are 25 and you work in an office. Admittedly, your life could stand to get a little more interesting." ...

Don't Read the Comments, by Ashton Raze
Short, amusing riff on the niche-audience building capabilities of the internet and the problems with comments.

HAIZARA, by Rani Baker
My first game attempt, a Twine project that hearkens back to the days of LCD handheld games. A short adventurous romp in a fantasy world. Made for Twiny Jam.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by CMG on 16 November 2017 at 11:07am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item